MLS uniforms are slowly improving but we have a ways to go

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by detroitexpress, Aug 3, 2002.

1. JaxxNate25

JaxxNate25 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Jacksonville FL
    I do think that the MLS Kits need to be made with a more high quality material. I would like to see Puma make an MLS Kit. See the Puma Lazio Kit as an example. I happen to like the Metro's color scheme, but i agree their logo is Cheezy....The Fusion had the all-time best Kits in the History of MLS i believe...I'm rambling

Nate

2. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I know I suggest it all of the time, but I would rename the Metrostars the New York Emperors. It's no slight against New Jerseyites (Jerseyans? Jerseyers?). But calling a team New Jersey Anything makes as much sense as putting a team in Connecticut. Nothing that New Jersey (or Connecticut) is known for would anyone want identifying them. Big hair, acid washed jeans, Bon Jovi... Anyway, call them the Emperors, keep their color scheme, and create some kind of crest, reminiscent of a Traditional Club but also similar to American sport. Just get rid of the Metrostars. That name is the suckiest suck that ever sucked.

3. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I, for one, like the idea of sponsors on the front. Come up with a badge saying the name of the club and the year it was founded. Maybe it's because I've grown up on European football, but it just looks right.

And it can throw some extra cash into the club.

4. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The uniforms that Los Angeles had in their first year were better than anything they have had since. Their home jerseys were mostly orange and black. Since no team is currently using orange they should go back to their original colors, dropping the teal of course, and stick with orange and black. I think it would be a great time for them next year to relaunch their team since they are comming in to a new stadium. Get a traditional cool looking uniform design, intimidating colors of black and orange, loose the golf ball ninja star logo and step into a new stadium. Damn it, Los Angeles has a huge oppurtunity here to do something great. Show the rest of league how it can be done. And with MLS Cup 2003 being held in their own back yard all of the attention will be on them. They have a chance to recreate the atmosphere of MLS Cup 97 when RFK was sold out and DC United ruled. The only difference is that DC's uniforms didn't suck.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Whatever people...

Give it 10 years. Then when someone makes a change, you'll be bitching about how they are tampering with tradition. :rolleyes:

Sachin

6. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia

yeahhhh like this one:

[​IMG]

sorry... i just like too much my team jersey.....

but i prefer to see the rapids green ...not blue... aghhh awful color....

7. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The only thing I'll be bitching about is why did it take the Metrostars so long to loose that terrible building logo. Its not even a logo, its a bad art project by some jr high school student with no talent. It certainly doesn't make me want to buy any of their murchandise. What it makes me want to do is pray nobody from Europe ever sees it, I would be too embarrased.

8. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002

Thats a sweet looking kit i wouldnt mind seeing the rapids in something like that

9. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    i'm very happy with the fire kit.

and that green one is snazzy.

10. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is a MLS board but I think my Charleston Battery's (just to keep this on topic, we have MLS affiliates) kits by Lotto are pretty sharp. Colorful, collared & neither one is white.

Home:
    [​IMG]

Away:

[​IMG]

11. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I've always admired the Battery. Its an all around classic team. Good jersey design, good colors, good logo, intimate stadium and I'm sure passionate fans. Too bad MLS has too few teams like yours.

12. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a sweet kit. Too bad the Rapids won't move to something more like that. I think merchandise sales would skyrocket if they moved to a kit even close to that... and changed their logo.

TS.

TS.

13. bgb

bgb New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Agreed.

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree about the white away kits - they are really boring. However, the away LA kit is really nice. I think it is the best current uniform in the entire league, and I especially like how it says "Los Angeles" on it.

15. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Personally, I would lose the stripes. But it's still an improvement over those Kappa wetsuits. Dang Eyetalians.

16. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    You either need to quit taking drugs, or start taking drugs. I don't know which, but it's definitely one or the other.

17. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago's is the best. Especially since it looks like the old Chicago White Sox uniforms.

18. The REVerend

The REVerend New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Newton, MA
    I agree. "Los Angeles" is in a simple, classic font as well.

People are kidding themselves if they think that jersey design doesn't affect sales. My best friend is from L.A. and for the past couple years I've been trying to turn him into a fan of MLS. He's watched a few Galaxy matches with me and always commented on how ugly the uniforms were. This year we watched a game in which they were wearing their away kits. A week later he walked into my room in a white Galaxy jersey...

19. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    This is truer than you know. My boss used to manage our store in Jersey City, NJ and he said that the black guys who bought jerseys often bought them simply because the color went well with articles of clothing. When we talk about jersey sales, we're primarily thinking about whether these jerseys will end up in hip-hop videos and on black urbanites' backs. Although to be fair, I wear jerseys all of the time. The difference is that I like all of the teams I wear. These guys will sometimes wear the jersey of a team they hate, just because they like the color.

20. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true. I work at the Mets Clubhouse shop in Roosevelt Field Mall and the huge fad now is throwback jerseys. Everyone that comes just points and says "look, that's the jersey Nas wore" or "that's the jersey Jay-Z wore". They don't care what team it is as long as it looks cool or it's a part of pop culture. NFL jerseys also are huge sellers. To them it's about having the rarest jersey that no one else has or the one that matches their hats and sneakers. There's no loyalty to a team involved. Heck, my guess is that they don't care about sports.

21. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Someone get Kobe into a soccer jersey. But who would it be? A Pele Cosmos or Brazil throwback jerse?

22. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Put him in a Cape Cod Crusaders kit. Bitchin kit man, bitchin kit.