MLS TV Rights

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, May 30, 2022.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None at the moment. U-Verse is a legacy program they are trying to get rid of (no new subscriptions) but we don't have fiber-optic or better high-speed in my area. No signs of it coming in the near future.

2. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in he same boat re: AT&T Fiber. It comes very suddenly.

Kryptonite repped this.
  3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Discounts seem to be totally random as to who gets them. I haven't paid full price in years.

Yup. I was actually under the assumption it'd never be available where I'm at until I called in for a yearly renewal of discounts. "Oh, it looks like you're eligible for fiber. We can upgrade you for no cost."

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  4. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to watch the game on a 45 minute-ish delay after the kids got to bed. Without the result being spoiled. And I am still celebrating the fact that the bottom line score ticket had been eliminated. None of this was possible in previous years I don’t believe.

5. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll hit 50 one day too, grandpa. I knew that something happened that showed well but I forgot about that.

6. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tack on internet and you're approaching $200 once you are beyond initial deals and such. The rest comes down to your negotiating skills, etc.

And you pretty much don't get cable without internet these days, that's my point. Choice of stand-alone internet providers is laughable.

Getting home radio broadcast only for home games, when many people have the package because of season tickets, is useless as hell.

7. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Standalone internet isn't the issue. ISPs will sell you just internet if you're determined to cord cut on the TV side. Buying standalone cable and getting your internet from a cheaper provider, on the other hand...

8. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I was referring to as "Standalone internet", I suppose, I just didn't word it very well, lol.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  9. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarification! Seems we agree.

10. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will admit that the streaming providers definitely have an advantage for multiple TVs and cloud DVRs (if you don't mind shows automatically deleting.)

If you have four or five TVs, yeah...all you need is a $40 device for each TV and you're good. There's definitely a major savings there.

If you have 1-2 TVs and some good mojo at the retentions game, the cost difference may not be all that much.

But if you're paying $70 or whatever for Hulu and the separate Bally app...

Sidenote: Hulu and Sinclair are in a channel carriage dispute right now. One of the streamers recently came to an agreement for Sinclair channels which did not include the RSNs, yet Fubo recently added them. I'm definitely paying attention here. (And yes, it'll only include the regional RSN on any sort of base package...if it includes any at all.)

11. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Curious what device you are using that didn't show the score? My Roku with the show scores option off still shows all the scores.

12. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep Roku. I had to make the change to every device separately

13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSNs are dying. NHL is about to get fvcked because of Bally’s. MLB has talked about going the full MLS/Apple route previously. We all know about Bally’s, Root is biting the dust as well here in a month or so.

14. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #764 Kryptonite, Mar 13, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    The AppleTV/MLS situation may be the way forward. The NHL is close to there with ESPN+. ESPN could easily produce all games and throw random games on ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC.

Here's the problem. The Dodgers have a financial interest in Spectrum SportsNet LA. The Cubs just spent untold millions on starting Marquee Sports Network. The Yankees own 26% of YES. Fenway Sports Group owns NESN. I'm sure there's more.

ISTM there'd be a huge battle trying to get teams to detach from those RSNs.

If you're watching the Reds vs Red Sox in Ohio, sure, you may be able to watch on the new method...but as long as NESN owns territorial rights, well, you'd best hope your TV provider carries it if you live in NESN territory.

Now with that said, it'd be nice if MLS had a "one team only" price for something like $50 for the season. No MLS Next Pro and MLS competitions only...gotta take some of the stuff away to really make the more-expensive packages valuable.

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the talk was MLB would hold all digital rights, so you could stream all games in one place with no blackouts. Whether it happens or not and in what form is up for debate, and probably a few years off.

Point is, even the old-timers that run baseball see that RSNs are dying and can’t be relied upon and digital is the way forward. Not every team can create their own network.

16. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I haven't paid for cable TV in at least the last five years. $80/mo for 1gbps internet is all I need. Well, that and a few subscriptions to some questionable websites.

17. associa_tionfootball

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 10, 2019
  18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    What settings did you change?

19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t give a shit what anyone says, MLS on Apple is so good.

20. TracieB

TracieB Member

Oct 2, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody else have a problem with watching the game tonight? I kept getting kicked out of the game. It happened 3 or 4 times before and 3 times during the game.

21. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nope.

22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

23. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Getting to watch high quality MLS right until the Australian GP is pretty nice.

Did anyone catch the Bayern game on ABC or ESPN+? That was ONN quality.

24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I am square in the target market for the Apple/MLS deal but I love it. It’s been great so far.

I understand why they didn’t do it but a single Sunday game each would be nice.

Ball Kicker and zman31 repped this.
  25. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or hell, some Saturday afternoon games.