MLS TV Ratings

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Revolt, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    It's 10,000 households.

2. AZUL GALAXY

AZUL GALAXY Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    For me that is normal, if you want to see in USA & CANADA tha best quality games
    live in the stadium is MLS. but for TV is not.

3. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    MLSFan123 and El Duderino repped this.
  4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea but people watch college sports, and that's not the highest level. so it's more about getting a larger following with an emotional investment in the success or failure of the team.

MRschizoid21 repped this.
  5. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I don't think ratings are so much an MLS problem but a soccer problem. Outside of a legion of fans, it's not taken seriously as spectator entertainment (World Cup aside). To me, it's not dissimilar to hockey outside of traditional snow country and certain key markets. Hockey has more cache though due to it being longer established.

6. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respectfully disagree. The problem is that 80% of people who say that they are hockey fans will watch Stanley Cup Finals (at least some). I would say that only about 5% of people who believe they are soccer fans watch MLS Cup Final and I think I am being generous.

7. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EuroSnob (EPL & Champs League) ratings do better than MLS ratings, so its not an issue with the actual sport of soccer, its convincing the EuroSnobs to watch MLS matches as well.

Zxcv and ukraine76 repped this.
  8. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nope. The NHL ratings getter is the Winter Classic. Badly outpaces Stanley Cup ratings.

9. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Well it's interesting. Hockey's national ratings are hardly anything to laud compared to basketball or baseball. Last years NHL ratings averaged around a million and a half viewers for the regular season, while the other two can often get 3 times that. Conversely, hockey can get massive local ratings in certain markets.

I doubt soccer ratings will ever be so regionally biased. But both MLS and EPL are ranking in the hundreds of thousands with the exception of certain matches like the Manchester Derby and FOX over the air telecasts.

I think if MLS was able to garner NHL type ratings it'd be a signifiganct achievement. EPL gaining the same thing would be as well, more so due to time slots than attraction. But then again, if Spongebob can get 1 million people to watch TV at 9am on saturday, concievably a high class EPL match could too on NBC I'd wager.

10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If EPL was on at primetime it would smash. Around a million viewers everytime. (since it would be the big teams...not swansea and stoke unfortunately but they would get 400k or something)

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    On average, across a full season of all games that are televised, is that statement actually supported by the (available and limited) data as to how many US households/people are watching which brands/leagues of soccer content?

12. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English Premier League Down Slightly on ESPN2, ESPN Deportes: Coverage of the English Premier League has averaged a 0.22 U.S. rating and 302,000 viewers on ESPN2 this season

AT 745 AM AND 10 AM. Its down from 325,000 a game last season. Imagine MLS on at 745 AM....what kind of rating would it get?

13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In related MLS tv news....
    NBC Sports Network Not Lighting Up the Ratings: The newly rebranded NBC Sports Network averaged just 62,000 viewers per day in January, according to Sports Business Journal, down 21% from January of last year (78K). Corporate sibling The Golf Channel averaged more viewers during the month (81K), as did ESPNews (74K), NBA TV (88K), NFL Network (126K), and Speed Channel (142K). (Sports Business Journal)

14. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Possibly true. But even 10pm local time kickoffs ( in the Spanish style) will never happen. Because of local custom, and serious "health and safety" issues. And obviously the impact on the sweet sweet Asian TV market.

15. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what??? no no. EPL will never go that late. thats ok too. waking up early isnt a big deal to football fans.

I am up now ready to see if this game is even going to be played at 11 am my time. may postpone it with this nasty weather in london.

16. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You realize that this data is from last January(2012) not this January? This years January is probably going to go down due to little NHL games.

I am not sure how this snippet relates to MLS as you said as there are no MLS games on in January. It probably more relates to EPL since they will be on NBCSN next January.

17. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It works both ways. Imagine what the EPL would do up against a full slate of College Football games. There are multiple factors in play here, not just time of day.

Sure the EPL games have a bad slot but they have zero sporting competition. I think you need to acknowledge not only the time slot differences, but the massive competition differences as well.

18. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which will EXPLODE their ratings.

19. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    It might not increase all that much. I'm not sure how many "casual" fans are watching either league, rather I think it's a limited pool of soccer fans who are seeking out these telecasts. The lead in undoubtedly matters, but the difference between the EPL audience and the MLS audience may not be as big as some have suggested.

Recent research suggests that half of the EPL audience is watching MLS too:

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/8194367/mls-hopes-build-national-profile-roger-bennett

20. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that this changes the poin I was trying to gt across. Also, The Winter Classic is on NBC and not all final games are on that channel

21. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it doesn't. The Stanley Cup games on NBC have outdrawn the winter classic over the last few years when comparing apples to apples.

The winter classic is typically the highest rated game during the regular season though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratings_for_The_NHL_on_NBC
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-million-viewers-down-34-vs-last-year/138091/
    http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...iewership-down-on-nbc-and-nbc-sports-network/

22. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be clear, it is only the NBC regular season games that averaged 1.5 million viewers last year for the NHL. The regular season games on NBCSN averaged about 330k viewers.

23. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    This is the 2nd year in a row that EPL ratings have declined.

Maybe people are getting bored of it; the hype is wearing off. At some point, people are gonna want to watch teams closer to home (aka MLS).

24. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the best comparison point because you are comparing a mid season number with an end of season number.

Last year the EPL drew its highest ratings in the second half of the year which included their all time highest number of cable viewers at 1.033 million for the Man City Man United show down last May.

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The NHL return on NBC scored 2.0. By comparison, an MLS regular season game scored a .4 on the same channel.

As to the EPL jump, rumors are that - OK, follow this chain of events - if Victor Valdez quits Barcelona, as he is promising, Barcelona will go for Liverpool's Pepe Reina while Liverpool will in turn go for Memo Ochoa, currently with Ajaccio.

Of course, then I wonder why Barcelona wouldn't just buy Thibaut Courtois.

However, the point being is that Memo and Chicharito in the EPL would be a rating bonanza for Telemundo.