MLS TV package question...

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by TetsuoShima, Jul 15, 2005.

1. TetsuoShima

TetsuoShima New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    St. louis Metro East
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so i'm new to the board obviously.. but was wondering why their are only usually 2 MLS games on a week.. 1 on ESPN2 and 1 on FSC.

I love the MLS since I really started to watch it regularly last year on tv and not just checking box scores online. But it just sorta is hard to comprehend how I can during the year watch more taped and Live games from European league's and South American games on FSC during those league's respective seasons yet only get 2 a week from the MLS.

Is it simply a money issue where the MLS is actually paying ESPN and FSC to show their games? Or is that really all those stations are willing to pay for? Right now i'm watching the Montreal vs Minnesota USL game and am glad they are on FSC too. Do the MLS teams have local coverage that is better than the national coverage and I just happen to be unlucky living in a non-MLS city?

Just wondering cause even though I love the Euro leagues and S.American leagues I would really really love to have at least 2 more games a week so a total of 4 from the MLS.

2. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if I can answer your question about FSC, but this may help your local coverage question. It's a list of how many games are televised locally per team (ESPN2 games are included). There are 32 games in a season.

New England Revolution: 32
    DC United: 28
    Chivas USA: 24
    Los Angeles Galaxy: 24
    Metrostars: 24
    Real Salt Lake: 17
    Chicago Fire: 16
    Colorado Rapids: 15
    Columbus Crew: 14
    FC Dallas: 12
    San Jose Earthquakes: 10
    Kansas City Wizards: 3 (all ESPN2)

3. TetsuoShima

TetsuoShima New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    St. louis Metro East
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I live in the st. louis burbs and all I get are the 1 on FSC and 1 on ESPN2 each weekend. No other channel carries them so I guess for me it might just be the bad luck of not living in an MLS town. figures... lol

4. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "Direct Kick" package is available on Dish, DirectTV, and (I believe) most cable systems for $69.

If you add Direct Kick to ESPN2 and FSC, you'll typically be able to watch all but one or two of each week's games.

5. TetsuoShima

TetsuoShima New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    St. louis Metro East
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohhh I was wondering what that DK was.. I tried googling DK tv and DK television hehe and all I was getting was a bunch of websites from denmark lol

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Nochum

Nochum Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Riverside, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Direct Kick is only offered through The Dish Network and DirecTV. Well at least here in Riverside, CA

8. TetsuoShima

TetsuoShima New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    St. louis Metro East
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh cool is the webcast have a subscription or is it free?

9. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's free. :)

10. TetsuoShima

TetsuoShima New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    St. louis Metro East
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

woohooo :D now that I know that.. I'll be watching them online then except of course the ones on espn2/fsc. hehe I am used to watching sports on the net.. I also get the AFL (afl.com.au) net subscription to watch my Carlton Blues *sigh* (who are stinking it up this year) in Aussie Rules football from Australia. hehe though I pay for that :p

*bows down to MLS for webcast* :cool: