"mls trial for ny2"

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by antnee7898, May 10, 2011.

1. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats this about an mls trial, involving an ecuador-greece friendly that the wilpons are putting together? Espn_us_soccer tweeted.

2. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I heard is that there's a friendly Tuesday, June 7th, between Ecuador-Greece at Citi Field (most likely approved by Wilpon). This game is the first soccer game at Citi Field. I never heard anything about this being an "MLS Trial" (i.e. a trial to see if NYC can support a team in Queens). Though, I'm sure the likely sources will be watching. Why I don't think this is a "MLS Trial" is because this is also a USMNT game day for the Gold Cup (down the Maple Munchers!) and it is also the day before the Cosmos PDL team is supposed to play it's inaugural game vs. Ocean City. Not to mention, zero MLS games (or so I think) are played on Tuesdays, especially during a USMNT game. I hope this game does well and attracts the right attention. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. There are only three group stage USMNT games and I value a major CONCACAF tournament over a friendly that doesn't apply to me (though I could be convinced).

O/T (but kinda related): I don't think I've ever seen so much soccer in one month. Let's not forget MLS games, the US-Spain game that Sat, the USWNT-Mexico game that Sunday, this game Tuesday, Cosmos PDL Wednesday, more MLS games and international club friendlies. If that isn't a trial, I don't know what is.

3. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We actually did an interview with Dan Cuatermanche (spelling) in our next newsletter and we also got quotes from the Mets - hopefully that will be released a bit later this evening- keep an eye out on these boards.

There is a game at Citi Field - its speculation its a trial run - while some just say its a cash grab for the Wilpons while the Mets are on the road.

4. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are several issues regarding mls. How will the field play out in a real game? What will the attendance be? How much media coverage in the buildup and in the post-game? If Wilpon can get wfan and newsday to cover soccer, then I would be greatly impressed. But it might be easier to build a soccer stadium than get those 2 dinosaurs to cover soccer.

5. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Newsday covers Soccer, just not in English. WFAN? Who fcuking needs them? There are other media now that are better and more effective. Wilpon can have games produced on SNY. There aren't the end all of sports.

6. ECUA-718

ECUA-718 Member

Apr 9, 2010
    I can see it now , COSMOS on SNY " get ya' New York sports here' "

7. Usmaman

Usmaman Member

Jun 22, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Does anyone have any clue how a field will fit between the 3rd base line and right field? Will it be a situation like Fenway where the field was about 98x65? I'm sure Citi will be better than that, but I tried fitting a 115x70 field in Google Maps, and it was too tight to really fit.

Makes for an interesting situation as for what the MLS Cosmos might need to play in Citi.

8. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the dimensions, but here is how it will look:

http://ev5.evenue.net/evenue/linkID=507tixx/core/Seating_June7Soccer_04 29 11B.pdf