MLS Training Grounds Round-Up

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Scoey, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Is that Sherman in there? Somebody's going to report you for a microagression.

2. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is that by your count, a team that has been around for 43 years is getting its butt kicked by a team that is in its first season.

And I'll just say that in addition to the $60 million Blank paid for the training center, he paid $100 million for the franchise, and over $1 Billion for the stadium in addition to player salaries and the massive transfer fees for the South Americans. So don't even try to act like he's trying to be cheap like Mr. Kraft.

3. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the MLS team had nothing to do with getting the public money. The bonds were approved well before the franchise was purchased. The $200 million in public money is the exact same bond set up and amount that was used for the Georgia Dome. You must not know much about Atlanta because the stadium is used for much more than 8 NFL games a year. Chick-fil-A kick off and Bowl, SEC Championship, Marching Band comps, concerts, etc.

I'm not sure what your point is about away games. Watching on TV sucks compares to going to the home games.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Atlanta United has yet to even play the San Jose Earthquakes, let alone kick proverbial butt.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kraft kicked Blank's butt in the Super Bowl.

6. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that ATLUTD's training center kicks "Quakes '74" field with a fence's butt.

7. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I'd agree - and I'm not gloating like I'm 8 years old or Arthur Blank or Josef Martinez.

You're right. I am actually very grateful for the way Blank's pushing the MLS envelope and raising our game. Since he seems way into this, and ungodly rich, I'd love to see him put up a soccer specific stadium.

8. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    You're right, I didn't even google it. But I'm sure when it came to pitching the gubmint and the voters, soccer was thrown in there with the other filler. And I'm sure Garber let Blank know in no uncertain terms he'd get an MLS team if he wanted one.

True. And watching a game on fake turf sucks compared to watching soccer.

Signed,
    A. Curmudgeon

9. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The voters we're pitched on anything. The bonds were never put up to a referendum. But thanks for trying to tell me about my city and my team.

10. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I am mildly interested to hear how they built a stadium without public ok.

11. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Yeah I wouldn't, obviously. "Game first."

I'm wondering what 100 million would have bought in Marietta GA. That was ATL Utd's 2nd choice for the training center right?

And I'm not trying to be "us vs. them" here - (though I'm excited for ya with yer rookie season enthusiasm and stuff. We need that Sounders/Toronto/Fire before them invented MLS kinda shot in the arm whenever we can get it.) Sure, the Bay Area is an expensive place to build things. Or, say, develop a major league pro team. Part of the reason I think the Quakes have bad owners is they seem to want to invest like they're in a minor market.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nice thing about having an 18-field complex around your stadium is that you can set aside Field 1 -- right next to the stadium -- as your training ground and keep it a pristine grass surface and have all of your offices and other training facilities inside the stadium.

profiled, jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I thought Field 1 was the turf football field with stands. But then I'm living ten years in the past and things change.

Or perhaps Field 1 is the fenced in field on the back side near the TV tunnel into the stadium that the teams practiced on before MLS Cup 2006. That would make more sense, having a field fenced in so the rec players can't get on it - and next to the tunnel down into the stadium and locker rooms.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's Dr. Pink Field, where the high school JV football, junior high football, and junior high and high school soccer teams play.

Bingo.

AndyMead repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Er, no. Kraft sat and watched the greatest coach and quarterback of all time pull of a miraculous comeback to nick Blank's team in overtime. Full credit to them for pulling it off, but let's not act like getting into the Super Bowl in the first place is a worthless achievement.

They used existing bonds/tax measures that were already established on behalf of the local authorities. All the City had to do was approve an extension thereof and verify the parameters for their use on the stadium. Had a greater amount been involved (more than $300M, IIRC) then it would've outstripped the existing allotments and terms allowing such a measure, and thus would've required a public vote.

Had it gone that route, however, I feel sure it would've passed. For one it would've only applied to the City of Atlanta, with a population of about 430,000 and nary a Tea Party-type in the bunch to make too big a fuss about it. More importantly, the local convention center and hotel industry were fully behind the measure since having a domed field downtown means a ton to the local tourism industry. Investing $200M for a (then) $1.3B iconic, top-class venue was a virtual no brainer, especially since the World congress center wanted the old dome site for a hotel, anyway.

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was engaging in playful smack-talk by suggesting Kraft kicked Blank's butt. I'm a Bills fan, so I know a little about losing Super Bowls. Needless to say, as a Patriots-hater I was rooting for the Falcons in the last one. :)

18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gotcha.

Born in upstate NY, myself. Mostly adopted the Jets in that sense but always had a soft spot for the Bills. Hope you guys get your new stadium soon.

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

It's not a bad point. Sometimes these new training facilities can also be revenue generators.

sitruc repped this.
  20. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas figured this out back in 2002. BTW, in similarly fresh news, Iraq doesn't have those WMDs.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed the airport is so close that heading has been banned.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a few weeks old, but RSL has a sponsor name for its new academy complex and USL/future NWSL stadium:

Zions Bank Real Academy new home for Real Salt Lake development pyramid
    https://www.rsl.com/post/2017/05/24...y-new-home-real-salt-lake-development-pyramid

[​IMG]
    • $60 million
    • 10 total fields including the Stadium, with one each for school and Herriman City public use and a total of seven (7) regulation-size training fields (80 yards wide by 120 yards long).
    • Four of the fields will be natural grass and outdoor, with the remaining three fields utilizing a state-of-the-art artificial surface from The Netherlands, including that of the 5,000-seat Zions Bank Stadium.
    • Two of the artificial fields will be housed in the Zions Bank Training Center's iconic 208,000 sq-ft. indoor structure, the largest pre-engineered freespan building in North America. Atop this building will be a solar panel array from Utah’s own Auric Solar, at roughly half the size of its Rio Tinto Stadium installation

Ismitje repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus importantly a school and boarding facilities.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they'll be moving everything plus from AZ where the current academy is HQed.