Pre-match: MLS Tournament Fire Game 2-Fire v. San Jose-7/19 7:00 pm FS1 and in the Soldier Field Parking Lot

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Jul 19, 2020.

?

What will happen tonight?

1. Fire Win

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Fire Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fire Lose

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Beric scores again, but the Fire fail to win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Wicky "pulls a Puano" and something stupid happens

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  6. I don't know because it is "Christmas in July" on Hallmark Movies/Mysteries Channel

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. Raccoon appears and all of the fans in the stands have to leave, game "behind closed doors"

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. Rubber Dick (forever!)

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  9. Malort

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  10. Nelson Rodriguez (remember him?) Out!

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Post of the night!

skinut and xtomx repped this.
  2. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Welp, that was a turd sammich. Ugh.

3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think that is backwards.
    We had 30% possession because we had nobody to dribble.
    We had 200 fewer passes than San Jose.

If we have the players who can dribble and pass, then they should play and should play that way

4. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to do math but I think we want a Seattle W now right? We’d advance if we were even on points with them (say we draw on Thursday) due to our head-to-head victory, I believe and a loss leaves Vancouver with nothing to play for.

5. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    Vancouver still has 3rd place to play for

wolvesfirehope repped this.
  6. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    except maybe the pride of not going o-fer for the tourney and regular season points, since that is a thing.

7. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... does that benefit them at all if they end up on 3 pts? Like, I know you can advance from a 3rd place slot, but without looking at all of the tables and figuring out the scenarios I feel like that’s super unlikely.

And I get the playing spoiler can be a huge motivator and not finishing can be a motivator too, but not quite the same as playing to advance, so I still feel like that makes it a pretty easy choice to “cheer” for Seattle here.

Anyway, looks like the Sounders have made it academic, so hopefully we’ll have some clarity shortly.

8. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #58 CMeszt, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    The way things are going at least they'd need to run up the score on the Fire to take that 3rd spot. So it's going to be hard to catch Chicago even with a win.

We're likely to be 3rd even with a loss. Not sure I would pin my chances on advancement with a negative GD though. We're likely 3rd with a draw now too, but it's really rare for a team on 4 points not to advance from a 3rd spot in a 24 team tournament.

harrylee773 repped this.
  9. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    We didn't look like a "Bad Fire Performance", we gave a "Bad Red Stars Performance", which is an improvement. Very similar vibes to it. The Fire didn't really do very many things terribly (except Kronholm fvcking up for the most part), but they just didn't seem to be able to get on the offensive. They did get a lot of bad calls from the officials that threw off the flow of the game, but overall they still couldn't piece together a coherent attack.

GHjelm repped this.
  10. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Also, some credit to San Jose. Their system is truly strange and unique. It's very difficult to play against and they have some real talent on that roster. I expect to see them near the top of the Western Conf come playoff time.

Jiggly_333 and splunge63 repped this.
  11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just watched the "highlights" and Kronholm was not "fvcking up" on either goal. It was the Fire defense.
    Espinoza outplayed Calvo on the first goal.
    Nobody marked Wondolowski on the second. He was in the box and none of the Fire defenders were within a couple of yards of him. There should be no excuse for either Calvo or Sekulic picking him up.

Blaming the officials about "a lot of bad calls" is just crap. That nonsense has to stop. The only time officiating has an impact on the match is when it has an impact on the match. That is pretty rare now in the era of VAR.

The Fire's ineptitude on offense threw off the flow of the game. San Jose had double the possession and double the number of passes.

12. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not blaming the officials, but there was chippy play on both sides, with most (or all?) of the cards being handed out to Fire players. Playing on a yellow- especially for the guys that got one earlier, does impact their play (and the game itself) to some extent and if you know the ref is being liberal with the cards, it can have an effect on your game whether you're playing on one or not. Not nearly as much as VAR, and not enough (IMHO at least) in and of itself to have changed the outcome of this game (SJ was just better than us out there- that's why they won), but it's not like officiating can only impact the game when a call or play is subject to VAR.

Agree 100% on Kronholm - defense left him with an impossible task on that first goal and I don't know that 10 foot tall keepers with the reflexes of a mutant superhero would be able to do much against an unmarked Wondo in the box. Really no excuse at all for having HIM, of all players on that team, in the box without a mark. A really deflating goal at a crucial time in the game.

Jiggly_333, goldclover and splunge63 repped this.
  13. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    I will say this re: the officiating -- dude lost control of the game for a while and it was annoying to watch

also, can't find the video of the goal that was waived off for the CJ foul, but that was pretty weak

on tactics, it seems like the team is clearly playing for the counter but it was not an effective strategy against San Jose, nor does it seem like we have the requisite speed for it

xtomx, Jiggly_333, goldclover and 2 others repped this.
  14. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    It looked bad.

15. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    Yeah I think Jiggly just has it out for Kronholm lol

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  16. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Really chippy game, the ref sucked, but that's not why we lost. Two horrid mistakes. Let's leave Wondo unmarked on a set piece! Mind boggling.

I figured our attack strategy would be the counter. All for it. But our execution sucked and San Jose's speed/quickness thwarted us. I really didn't mind the possession being so lopsided. SJ didn't have many good opportunities. Just thought our counter would've been more effective.

xtomx, harrylee773 and goldclover repped this.
  17. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Haven't seen much yet obviously but am not overly impressed yet with Navarro, Stojanovich or Medran. I do enjoy seeing Frankowski playing with fire both sides of the ball and I think Beric and Sapong will be a good tandem with service. I was a big fan of Calvo but....seems he (nor any of the cd's) are not good enough right now.

18. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    I like what I see from Navarro and Medran. Stojanovic haven't had much to work with. Calvo... He's frustrating

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This, completely this.

20. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I suppose I just miss Segares still.

xtomx repped this.
  21. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    Navarro found himself involved in a lot of stupid shit last night

22. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I’m still trying to figure out what the central midfielders are actually supposed to accomplish. Medran, Gimenez, Stojanavich, and Herbers all seem to want to sit deep just in front of the CBs. Someone needs to be the link to Beric and Sapong and get the wingbacks involved more.

It doesn’t help when Navarro and Frankowski get pinned back defending for long stretches.

I think Djordje needs to start. He is an upgrade compared to Herbers.

goldclover repped this.
  23. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like Herbers as depth but agree that I would Hope Djordje is better for link play at this point.

24. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Unfortunately it sounds like Stojanavich is supposed to accomplish rehab....

@TyrusRose <——

25. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    Torn MCL :cautious:

bunge repped this.