MLS Top Goal Scorers

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Eliezar, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when the guys who failed elsewhere would come here and be stellar?

Now we have the guys who failed here going elsewhere and becoming stars.

The 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th best scorers in MLS:

9 goals DeRo (Yeah he was a star here), Wondo, Oduro

8 goals Kamara

2. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Oduro had his chance here and sucked. He could have been a good paring with Brian had he performed better.

Wondlowski was liked and performed well in reserves but he wasn't productive with the first team. Too slow to pair with Ching. Out he went.

DeRo should have been given DP money because he performs like a DP but it didn't happened. We try to get him back but it doesn't happen.

I thought Kei was a good pairing with Brian but Dom shipped him out for personal reasons. I thought Kei put the work in and scored enough goals

The question is why did Oduro and Wondolowski perform better with other teams? Don't know for sure. My feeling is that Wondo plays better coming late into the box and one time finishing. He really wasn't used in that role in Houston because that is what Brian's niche is.

3. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Eliezar, bad thread. This is how I felt when I read it:

[​IMG]

4. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

This is a well thought out post and I agree with most of it. Of all the players we let go - Wondo is the only mystery to me as he performed at every level except OUR senior team. I think you may have hit on the reason, he could not play the poacher and backside run position as that is Ching's role. Beyond that I have nothing.

Oduro did not perform here. Sure his speed gets him the occasional goal but his one V one strike rate was abysmal. I am glad he is finding success, but not a loss for us as he didn't do it here.

Kei was what he was in the locker room if rumors are to be believed. Let's see if he stays put after this season - could be telling about his personality.

As for DeRo; you can argue we should have gotten more for the trade but the whole situation with him and his salary was odd. ALSO, keep in mind we had Holden waiting for playing time so at the time, that move was not bad at all. In fact, it cleared several hundred K in cap room and no real loss at the position (different type of player but Holden for DeRo I will take).

The real issue is not so much with the former Dynamo players finding success, but our lack of back filling both Holden and Rico - for two years now.

5. guaroboy828

guaroboy828 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our midfield and our system can have alot to do with them suceeding elsewhere. Davis is the only option that creates any threats on a consistent basis right now both passing and goal scoring from midfield. Everyone else is not doin it or playing out of position. Mullan Davis Holden DeRo Clark all threatened and put in goals taking the pressure of Ching and company. Now all we do is cross into the box and pray someone heads it in. The constant shot from outside and inside the box arent done at all or look abysmal flying over the stadium walls into the parking lot. These other teams play lots of possession actually attack up the middle way more than we do. We live and die by set pieces and crosses.

6. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his case I think it was a combination of his immaturity with the Landin situation as he seemed to just fall apart when Landin came in AND I think it was a case of Dom being overzealous without a proven backup plan.

7. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    apples and oranges-just because those guys are doing it there, doesn't mean they could have done it here, with our guys at their time.

Kei-great guy then he showed his ass and became a cancer. Great fit for another team-good for him

Oduro-come on, he's playing for Chicago. He is the only chance they have to score so it's not surprising he has 8. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. If he was the only squirrel in the field, he's going to find more nuts

DeRo-no one doubted what he could do. He was great to the other guys (at least that is what I have been led to believe). But you can become a distraction even if you are not mean to other people. And as he told me (we were on flight together) "business is business". If the $ was a distraction, then it was time to remove the distraction. Remember at the time, all those supposed "latino" fans were clamoring for anyone that had real Central American/South American blood and not just a surname and distant connection to some small S. American country. So I really can't fault them for the move at time. Can't keep everyone happy. But remember what I have been saying for years-win and everyone is happy, whether they are Mexican or not. That being said-maybe we should have ponied up to keep him. But remember there was also the sending him home thing-don't forget that. Dom has a history of scratching the backs of those who have served him loyally-DeRo, Wondo, Mullan, Rhino (The first time with the expansion draft), etc.

Wondo-I always liked the kid (and his brother) but let's face it-he didn't have what it took to crack our line up at the time and the way I saw it, Dom did him a favor by sending him home (he's a bay area kid) and giving him a chance with a team he could fit in better.

So I am not sore about those deals. But as someone pointed out-let's not forget the guys that were nothing and came here at the right time with the right guys and flourished. Jaqua-has he really ever matched what he did that year with us (at least domestically), yes he did have a really good year in SEA but he sucked balls in Chicago and LA. Joe-the guy is horrible, but he fit in so well with those guys that year in the system. It lead him to overrate his own ability. Brad wasn't exactly tearing it up with NY or Dallas until he got to SJ (but his youth could be argued there).

Anyway, you get the point.

8. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0nv0UxI0xY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0nv0UxI0xY[/ame]