MLS to affiliate with USL PRO clubs

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by mbsc, Jul 11, 2012.

1. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying I believe it or not, but just posting this to let everyone here know the rumor is out there and get the wild speculation/ wailing and gnashing of teeth going. From Jack Bell's (of the New York Times) twitter...

JackBell@JackBell
    Though DanC has denied it, I keep hearing the MLS is kicking the tires on a deal to buy USL, lock, stock and PDL! Prob makes 2 much sense.

https://twitter.com/JackBell

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting....

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the thing...I wouldn't say it's completely out of the realm of possibility, but Jack Bell is an idiot.

4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's nothing but a tweet, chances are pretty good he's tweeting out of his ass.

5. TimMit

TimMit New Member

Jul 21, 2012
  6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aetraxx7 repped this.
  7. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, what about the NPSL? It could happen with them too you know :giggle:

I think his parents need to put a lock on the bathroom medicine cabinet

Nacional Tijuana and aetraxx7 repped this.
  8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the AYSO on the way to becoming MLS-7?

QuietType and aetraxx7 repped this.
  9. TimMit

TimMit New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    USL-PRO will become MLS-2
    PDL will become MLS-Developmental
    Super Y-League will become MLS-Youth
    MISL will stay MISL but run by MLS
    W-League will become W-MLS

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What will the NASL become? MLS- 1 1/2?

aetraxx7 and VioletCrown repped this.
  11. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rebrand: Minor League Soccer.

But seriously, don't see MLS running an indoor league. If rumor is true, I've got to imagine USL is bought in-part or certain USL leagues are spun off. Also would Garber and co really want to deal with the constant turnover in the lower ranks?

12. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Believe it or not. It is in the works. I can tell you there is discussion that has and is taking place. I have said it on here before the USL owners do need money. USL investors are pulling out. Expect a lot of changes coming next year:) Think Bundesliga....

13. TimMit

TimMit New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    MLS wants, or at least has been wanting, the PDL portion of the USL. Now it seems MLS is trying to purchase PDL and USL-PRO from NuRock. My understanding before was that NASL would merge with USL-PRO and MLS reserve teams into MLS-2, but now the announcement of the Cosmos joining NASL next year has confused things, so not sure what will happen to NASL, I'm sure they wouldn't want to become a third-division or outlaw league.

14. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    So would that mean a few teams making the jump to NASL.
    1. MLS
    2. NASL
    3. USL-PRO aka MiLS

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing MLS would want from USL is PDL and the Super 20 league, no way MLS would want the W-League or MISL.

USLPRO not sure if they would want that or not.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (I'm not helping, this discussion is taking on a life of its own, but just saying....)

Having the W-League would allow them to have a women's initiative (the one some WoSo supporters back) with at least a base to start from. The PDL and Super-20, yeah, those would have value. I don't know how valuable USL Pro would be to them, but there are certain signs that would make this not a complete non-starter.

(Of course, the fact people are throwing the Cosmos into every discussion as if it's this huge game-changer is a bit out of hand.)

17. TimMit

TimMit New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Forgive me of any irrational exuberance, bear in mind that its source is in my hometown Rochester NY still desiring to re-enter the higher echelons of pro soccer, there's still enough of us around (and our children) that remember the old NASL days and when we see the Timbers and Sounders in MLS we can't help but want to be part of that, or at least a competitive 2nd-division league whether it be MLS-2 or NASL, I prefer MLS-2 because with MLS involved it would seem to be more stable in the long run, thus when we recently heard rumors of USL-PRO possibly being bought by MLS then you could understand our hopes are high if only just truly hopeful.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  18. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Div. 1 MLS
    Div. 2 NASL
    Div. 3 USL Pro will be a regional league with MLS Reserve teams
    Div. 4 PDL

tehlazerviking and eclipse02 repped this.
  19. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Div.1 MLS v1.0
    Div.2 MLS v2.0
    Div.3 MLS v3.0
    Div.4 MLS v4.0

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
  21. danjacks10

danjacks10 New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    To listen to the show's podcast with Ercoli talking about USL/MLS, go to www.soccerisakickinthegrass.com, look down to "Our most recent show", and click on the soccerball for the podcast to begin. Ercoli comes on at the 37:30 mark.

22. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/seth-vertelney-major-league-soccer-060603916--mls.html

"Right now the league is looking at a number of solutions: one of which is increasing the number of reserve games. Two is to help facilitate more player loans to the lower divisions. And three is maybe you take your reserve team and you actually play in one of the lower leagues," Kasper said.

The third option could be the most intriguing of the group. Many European countries currently have a similar system in place. In Germany, Terrence Boyd earned a call-up to the U.S. national team without ever playing a first-team match with Borussia Dortmund. The striker's exploits with Borussia Dortmund II in the German third division earned him the call, and eventually led to a move to Rapid Vienna in Austria, where he has started well with the club's first team.

23. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Mexico does this, too.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both, there are U-17 and U-20 leagues where 1st division teams must participate, but they also have lower division teams playing in multiple levels of the pyramid.