MLS Television ratings

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Won_United, Mar 29, 2005.

1. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    :) I(t) happens.

But I'm not sure that you're right. I mean the NHL havin' less fans today.

2. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    one thing that turned me off with the games i saw was the NHL/NFL STYLE of calling the games, for me i didn't like it. God in Australia the AFL is also bad in TV coverage. I think the commentry needs to 'smarten up' and i can say the same about Oz too :p

3. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    That's a valid point. Too often tangent commentaries weakens the TV game experience.

4. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a newbie MLS watcher, the big turnoff is that the game of the week is sorta...well weak. Who want's to watch Colorado vs "?", when LA is playing FC DAllas. I'm in Houston, so at the moment I cheer for National players and wish to see more MLS matches on "cable or over the air TV". Midweek games are cool, but put at least one on a non PPV. Houston has the highest rating for a non MLS city. This is my first year to watch a season of MLS action. Some games have real poor audio, even on INHD. As a newbie I try to record (DVR)all the matches of the week that are shown on local cable. :D I enjoy FSC and INHD... ESPN and ABC are weak IMO. ONCE Houston gets a team you will see a shift in viewership, the Gold Cup (UNIVISION/TELE) had it's highest viewership for the Reliant staduim matches. The city was pumped and allot of those 60K folks that saw the game will also keep up with an MLS team. The MLS needs to make a deal with the Mexican Broadcast stations aswell. IF Club America brings a team, Houston must have a way to broadcast those games in spanish, not just SAP. :cool:

5. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston has repeatedly been listed as the market with most MLS fans among non-MLS markets. As long as Club America doesn't try to whore out their brand, I think you guys can easily draw 17,000+ a game. And one thing I don't get about Chivas USA is that they couldn't get a Spanish TV deal.

Also, you can watch 85% of the MLS games for free on MLSNet.com. All you need is broadband.

6. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I'm in the east coast and wasn't aware of it, and I cann't understand that either, in LA w/ no Spanish lang. TV deal ?I would think that to be top marketing priority for Chivas USA .
    I also have to try that MLSNet.com some time soon. :)

7. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wufc..Thanks buddy! I didn't know that. Now I can hook up my laptop to my big screen.sweet!

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Up to now, those who took the poll believe that there is a slight increase in TV viewing regarding MLS games (about 60% of the total). We'll have to wait until the end of the season to have actual statistics comparing w/ previous seasons.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I don't know how they fared in the rankings but at least the Pizza Hut Stadium, the new home for FC Dallas was packed/ sold out for the game seen on FSC yesterday between FC dallas vs NY/NJ Metrostars. The game too was exciting , w/ several goals.

10. swhoolie

swhoolie New Member

May 11, 2005
    I think ratings would improve if the powers that be at ESPN chose better games to air. They seem to air the least exciting games. I also get real tired of watching the RSL games on Astro Turf with American football lines on it. I think maybe the ESPN folks have an anti soccer agenda.

11. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I wouldn't go that far, but definetely there is less commitment to soccer than the other big 4 traditional sports.

12. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    yeah I agree partly that if they showed bigger games they'd get more of a response. I think that if the US does good this worldcup there will be more and more MLS fans. Im not a US fan but I hope they do good for the sake of soccer in America.

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I'm on vacation in Asia , Currently in Korea, and I find out that ESPN basically broadcasts nearly half of the English Premier league live every weekend through its twin channels; ESPN and STAR. They could do at least one game in the USA like they do the Champions league. I believe that would help their audience foster a more close association w/ the game ( England being the "Motherland") and IMO help the MLS obtain wider fan base.
    FSC does a lot of EPL but it's not on most basic or expanded cable packages.

14. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I think the fact that the games are played in the daytime in the heat makes them less exciting, especially on the west coast. See LA-DC a few weeks ago.

15. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like during the summer, not much happens on ESPN2 Evenings. Maybe MLS should try to push for primetime summer games.

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    With the play-offs on our door steps, will the ABC/ESPN networks cover all the games ?

17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, it's not part of the contract. I do think ESPN2 will show one game a week until the final on ABC. Not 100% on that though.

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    That sucks. Any other picking up the slack ? FSC ? Uni.? Gol ?

19. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    FSC coverage was excelent. Kudos to the network. :)

20. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    The Revs vs Metro Stars on FSC was excelent . The weather didn't help the attendance much, but it's very probable that an increase in TV viewing was the most likely by-product.