MLS Television ratings

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Won_United, Mar 29, 2005.

1. USA_2014

USA_2014 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Hey, since we're talking about how the USA compares to other countries, I don't know if anyone would find this interesting, but I crunched some numbers to combine the FIFA and ELO world rankings. FIFA ranks the USA 10, and the ELO rankings put the USA at 14. I scaled the ELO points to match the range of the FIFA points, so the numbers would be compatible, and then averaged them together, and the combined FIFA/ELO ranking of the USA (figured that way) was still 10th in the world. My results of doing this:

Combined Top 20 FIFA/ELO World Rankings for June 2005:

1 Brazil 1961
    2 Argentina 1947
    3 Czech Republic 1943
    4 Netherlands 1939
    5 England 1913
    6 France 1903
    7 Spain 1884
    8 Mexico 1879
    9 Portugal 1868
    10 USA 1843
    11 Italy 1842
    12 Sweden 1837
    13 Greece 1826
    14 Germany 1814
    15 Ireland 1812
    16 Iran 1809
    17 Denmark 1803
    18 Croatia 1803
    19 Turkey 1801
    20 Japan 1793

I thought, maybe, by combining two systems the results might be less biased? (ELO is a mod of the system used to rank the world's chess players.)

2. USA_2014

USA_2014 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    You know, actually, I've always wondered about that. There's money to be made in America from soccer, it is/was an untapped market. US Soccer is part of FIFA. MLS was formed to "fullfil a promise to US Soccer." This is what I've read. For 40 years, America couldn't make it to a world cup. There were, I think, two Concacaf spots. That was part of the reason. (Typically, Mexico and maybe the Ticos, I think.) Today, they've added more spots, so as many as four from Concacaf go to the world cup. It's almost like they've made it so the USA can't help but qualify for every world cup from now on. I don't have a problem with any of this. To me, maybe, the "higher ups" at FIFA simply have made a plan to help promote soccer in the US, and I'm glad because I like soccer. (I never want to see other sports disappear, but it would be nice if I could turn on the tv and see soccer news once in a while, just like other sports.)

The only thing that really puzzles me is this. I think the USA national team really is about 10th in the world... but MLS is way less than EPL/European soccer... how does that work? Anybody have any thoughts on that?

3. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    Same reason the Argentina basketball team is #1 in the world, yet the league is inferior. Only 11 players are on the field at any time.

4. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    nascar ppl probrably said the same thing 5 - 10 yrs ago. remember the old days only time you'd see nascar was if there was a big-time accident. NOW, you can't run away from it. (Though I try hard :p ) the reason nascar is is on tv now, is because ppl want to put thier advertisements for nascar stuff. why? becuase the ratings are there. in a way having a bigger profits in advertising allows a bigger budget on tv production. AND in the case of mls, that would mean a bigger budget on PLAYERS.

If you really loved soccer & specially MLS soccer now would be the time to sponsor the leauge. Of course do we see McDonalds? No. Do we see Wal-mart? Why even Mastercard left us. Yet, they still advertise soccer stuff around the world. So if anyone here owns a company... well you know...

5. USA_2014

USA_2014 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Yeah, thanks, that's what I was thinking, too. Like how England's B or C team can still beat our A team (minus two players), you're talking about how much depth your national team has, I see, thanks.

6. USA_2014

USA_2014 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Good point, soccer needs sponsors, and I think they're slowly making real progress, especially since that landmark 10 year deal with Adidas.

7. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    Hooray Adidas! I love wearing them w/ pride!!

8. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Mr. Scandanavia, we are in fact 10th in the world, and get used to it. Look who the U.S. has beaten in the top 10, Mexico and Portugal since 2002, as well as slaughtering the rest of CONCACAF. So how do you figure the U.S. isn't in 10th? It's not like they've lost to anyone terrible. True we had a poor showing against England, but we are certainley better than your national team which is ranked 12. Not only that, Italy couldn't even get out of the Euro qualifying stage, so they shouldn't be ahead of us either. I'm not going to get into further detail because fighting you is wasting my breath, but when you look at the facts, the US is very deserving of their top 10 spot.

9. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    sorry but beating the crap out of the concacaf teams is not a good way to prove ur the 10th in the world...just like mexico aint 6 or whatever they are...now u think the US its better than Italy? all ur doing its making a fool out of yourself by easily showing everyone how u know nothing about football...beating 2 teams from the top 10 in 3 years doesn't make you better...remember, the US lost to England's B team...

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're a fool.

The FIFA rankings aren't perfect, everyone knows this, they are what they are.

Mexico beat Brazil and drew Argentina (losing on PK's, but that's a draw), perhaps the two best teams right now. They also beat the U.S. at home in WCQ. That proves nothing? That's not too bad.

The U.S. lost to England, but neither team were at full strength. The U.S. was without their top striker for example.

This debate will all be settled in 12 months.

11. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I was hoping that someone would be posting actual TV ratings over the last weeks, to get an overall picture where it stands.
    I guess that was a bit optimistic on my part. I know its Summer. Who has time for that?

12. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    so because mexico beat brazil once now is at their level? and Mexico will beat everyone from the concacaf when playing at home everyone knows that...

13. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. If they beat them again at the World Cup then certainly.

Mexico beats everyone at home because they're good.

The point is, you can't prove Mexico isn't #6 in the world. Perhaps they don't deserve it in a subjective sense, but maybe they do. There is evidence to support it.

14. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping to see this too. Where does one get them anyways?

15. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Soccer it's more than one result, it's concistency...in the end that's what makes a good team and what proves to the world how good you are...one result won't get u anywhere..

mexico beat brazil in the US = it was the U-23

mexico beats brazil twice in the Azteca = they were playing at home

mexico beats brazil in germany = nobody cares about the cup

and it's the way it'll be until Mexico starts doing something more important in the WC and not just once, cus Turkey,Greece,Japan's had ONE good tournament...and after that they are at the bottom again...

that's the difference between being great and having one good tournament...

16. USA_2014

USA_2014 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    If this is helpful, this site has some tv ratings info:
    http://www.kenn.com/soccer/

17. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

They don't have any figures for 2005 yet , but THANKS that helped.

By the way , it looks like the figures for MLS are encouraging ; going up slightly yearly. :)

18. USA_2014

USA_2014 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Yeah, I think it looks very promising, I'm really excited. Did anybody notice ESPN2 trying out MLS games on Friday nights (about twice, I think), and "primetime" slots on Saturdays (well, 10pm, but close enough)...

19. USA_2014

USA_2014 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    This man makes an interesting point. This source "IFFHS" seems legit. They rank MLS (find "USA") as the 73rd best pro soccer league in the world:
    http://www.iffhs.de/main/frame/?maintarget=englisch
    And the highest ranked US club team (2004) is the K.C. Wizards, ranked 275th in the world:
    http://www.iffhs.de/main/frame/?maintarget=englisch

Granted, Bruce Arena's unit gets special training (high-altitude training, etc.) that MLS club teams do not, like an olympic team I would say. But, there seems to be a big discrepancy between the level of MLS (no offense) and the FIFA ranking of the USA. Argentine basketball team example noted. I just wanted to share this info with everybody. MLS is improving every week and so is our national team. Go USA!

20. USA_2014

USA_2014 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Just wanted to say, and yet, we made it to the quarterfinals in the '02 world cup, and so, in that sense, we were in the top 8!

21. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    and Greece won the Euro 2004 and they are not the best in Europe now are they?...u can't talk about one performance to measure a team's level of play, Turkey ended up third, does that make them the 3rd best? nope..the US ended up last in 98, does that make them the worst? nope...

22. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    :) That alone made up for a lot of help to increase TV soccer viewing in the USA I'm sure.
    :)

23. AeroRusH

AeroRusH New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    FL NYorker
    I should make up ground to the NHL. :D

24. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    :confused: I don't get it.

25. AeroRusH

AeroRusH New Member