MLS Teams in Libertadores? (r)

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by El Guero Naco, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    You are correct.

Somebody was to beat Costa Rica for you guys. :p

2. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Yea, but you have a built in excuse already! ;)

3. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

LOL... The flight time is really to long. This will force all Argentine clubs participating to either concentrate on our league or the copa. It's almost impossible to win both.

4. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    you act like the Argentinian teams are the only ones playing 2 tournaments...

5. ELCHIVERIO619

ELCHIVERIO619 New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    On the WestCoast!!!!
    the mls is not ready for the copa libertadores ,but that's what i think ,
    maybe they could do something when they are there.

plus, i heard some people saying that other teams in concacaf should stop going to the copa libertadores ,well maybe they will if the commebol would stop asking them :rolleyes:

6. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I'm confussed.. Why so long.. I believe it took me that same amount of time..17 hours, to get to Argentina from Miami with stops in Caracas and Rio..

7. Violationgd

Violationgd New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don't think there is enough money for conmebol in the US for them to have libertadores there. In general the US is a large market but in futbol, however, the fanbase is not large enough to support the copa libertadores. Someone may argue that south americans in the US could provide the fanbase, but most latinos in the US are mexican and probably won't go out of their way to see a libertadores game in the US unless it included a mexican team. When futbol becomes more popular in the US, then maybe conmebol will invite MLS teams. and when the MLS gets rid of it's salary cap, then it will start to be competitive in the tournament, otherwise they won't get out of the first round (they may not even get to the tournament because they will probably have to compete against mexican teams for slots).

8. el_rengo_acosta

el_rengo_acosta New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    i am a traditionalist i believe that the libertadores is for south-american teams only.

besides american teams are a second division level the MLS is a second division league or third division compared with the south american teams.
    the mexican teams thats another story because mexico has a strong league
    none the less i still think that mexican teams should stay in the concacaf zone

you dont see UEFA invite african or asian teams to play the champions league
    that would be absured.

ps: i dont want to offend anyone from mexico or the usa.

cheers!

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No offense taken, I can understand your point of view on this. I personally want to see MLS sides take part because I realize it is just one way that MLS can improve itself. But perhaps you are on to something, perhaps MLS and MFL should be limited to competing in COPA Sudamericana?

10. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    Even if MLS teams were to be invited, one big problem is MLS' calendar. MLS doesn't follow the standard FIFA calendar year. Most American leagues are already 6-7 weeks into reg season right now. MLS is preseasoning right now.

11. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    even worse, they may even take a conmebol Team to the field were NE revolution played alajuela yesterday!:eek:

the only way for MLS to be a part, it must be as one of the teams in la prelibertadores (called Inter-liga by FMF)...the one they play in MLS venues as HSC and Houston or Frisco.

travel time for argies/urus/paraguas is a bad idea to play MLsers

12. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    I say the more the merrier. If that means there is a chance of a Brazilian Club playing the Metrostars one day in an official Libertadores game, IM THERE. What better way to really gauge how MLS is quality wise. Over the long haul we we see if MLS is a punching bag or not. Right now we cant say either way cause they simply dont compete against each other.

13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed, the better the teams that MLS plays, the more international games they can play the better. Hell the MLS season is relativly short compared to the rest of the world so adding these games should not be a problem.

14. Corintiano

Corintiano New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brazil
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The more flavours of teams Corinthians can beat the better, agreed.

15. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    that is when they win consistenly win vs costaricans and mexicans in the club championship ( now sponsored and broadcasted to USA by fox!)

It took the place of copa libertadores games.....at least this wk

16. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to be part of the "pro-libertadores" camp, but no more. I think it's a bad idea to be flying our clubs all the way down to South America when we can't even beat Mexican, Costa Rican, or Honduran teams.

We (meaning fans of CONCACAF clubs), need to focus on getting Jack Warner out of the Presidency once and for all....and change the format of the CCC to make it more competitive and popular. A CONCACAF champions league would be simply BADASS if the starting date were moved up to allow in-form MLS clubs to compete as well as the big Mexican and Costa Rican clubs.