MLS team you know the least about?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by alexdergrosse, Jul 1, 2005.

1. alexdergrosse

alexdergrosse New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Northern VA
    I just watched highlights of Colorado and San Jose, and I barely knew anyone playing. I'm not a "superfan" when it comes to MLS fandom (although I watch my team week in and out through the season, and read Bigsoccer every day), but since it's all relative, what MLS team do you know the least about and why?

For me, I follow mainly Eastern Conference games and teams and due to my strategic location in hell (aka Connecticut), get a "lot" of Revs and Metros coverage on TV and in papers. I kinda follow the Gals through MFLS, and I've been hearing a lot about the expansion teams in general (and tried to watch games or highlights when possible).

So, I voted for Colorado being my black hole of holes. Can't really say for sure why, but I barely know anyone on the team, or how they're doing. Is it marketing, is it a crappy team, is it a poor record? I wish I knew, but god knows, I can't name a player on the Colorado team and I can name pretty much every DC, Revs, and Metros player this year.

2. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    The Houston Earthquakes

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Gotta be Colorado. They always have a crappy tv deal, plus they've never had any star players, and they've never been that great. And they just traded away Henderson and Chung.

4. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    As with me.

5. alexdergrosse

alexdergrosse New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Northern VA
    Could be the perfect nexus of bad television coverage and a perenially weak roster that makes the Rapids a forgotten team, because TV coverage is generally pretty bad unless you live in the market.

And to think, I picked Colorado as my "west coast" team to follow when I started following MLS. That died pretty soon.

Gotta say that until this year, Dallas didn't get great coverage either.

6. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
  7. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I normally would say the Rapids, because they are the team that I always forget about when listing off MLS teams.

But then I watched both games with them vs. the Galaxy, and I think I know most of their players now.

But I realized with all this hubbub about Lalas and the super-club, I can't more than four players on the Metros, or where they play. I know Guevara's good, and Gavin's good. I know Galvan Rey sucks. And. . . That's about it. Oh, and I have Zach Wells on my fantasy team.

But other than that?

Nadda.

This also applies to Kansas City. I know a bunch of players, but I have no idea where they play, or if they start or are on the bench, etc.

8. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas. Who the ******** are these duds?

9. uiriamu

uiriamu Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Philly, (NC)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm able to follow things pretty closely still from Japan this year - watching webcast games, reading bigsoccer, MFLS, etc. The US player draft on bigsoccer earlier this year helped a lot.

That said, I don't know jack about CDEFChivas. I can name maybe four players and they play offensive-minded with three forwards I think. In the prediction league, pick them to score a goal and count on them giving up at least two usually.

After them, it's RSL and Colorado, and I know about them only through Kreis, Mathis and Mastroeni, and then some fantasy players I considered and rejected.

Looking at the (very early) poll results it makes sense that no one's picked DC (Adu), the Galaxy (LD), or Dallas (EJ, Ruiz), but how is anyone picking the Revs this year, with all that offensive talent, the bandwagon Rookie of the Year pick, and beaucoup USMNT call ups?

10. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    From what i know every Rapids road game is on TV this season, i could be wrong but then again i live in Colorado and get Altitude. but then again wouldnt those games be shown on the MLS shootout package. plus almost all of the televised MLS games are avalible for viewing live on MLSnet.com which is how i catch game at work :cool: so i have no problem keeping up with the Rapids. the only team i would say i know nothing about is the Metros because they suck and i just dont pay much attention to them but im sure i could if i really wanted to. that is also the main reason why people dont know about the Rapids because lets face it we suck this year and have sucked for a few years now so people just avoid us even if they CAN watch us play.

11. lilepp6

lilepp6 New Member

May 9, 2005
    if i had the able i would have selected two here...Colorado is a given...even though i have followed the league since 96...and one year i think it was 97 maybe that the rapids made it to the cup I still knew very little of this team...even today i dont get to hear a lot about them due to no big names really making a splash on a national scale anymore...

the second team is KC...even with a couple names and faces that i know from the national team i really hardly know this team and some of it comes down to how much i actually care to know as well....they may have won it all a couple years ago but i just dont know this team

with both KC and colorado i have never really taken the time to know...plus alot of it comes down to watching them both play on tv or online...i think it bugs me to see empty stands there with these teams...probably a big reason why i tune them out and know hardly anything about them...

12. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no youri djorkaeff? comeon, that one is a gimme.

oh and dont forget our newest super additions, meola and ryan suarez :cool:

13. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a great reason :rolleyes:

14. Goquakesgo

Goquakesgo New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    San Jose
    ditto

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado in a landslide.

16. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Maybe if their players scored once in a while, I'd know more about them.

17. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know absolutely zilch about the Rapids compared to every other MLS team. I can name many players from the inuagural season for any team in the league except the Rapids, I only know Balboa. Other than that I can only name about 15 Rapids players in the teams whole history.

18. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    Everyone seems to be saying the Rapids, but they're my second choice. I went with the Crew.

19. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I went with the Revs. But they are in a tie with the Burn. I used to follow the Burn and then they changed their name and they got Ruiz and so I got pissed off. All I know is that Scott Garlick is very exciting to watch. As for the Revs, all I know is that are good for once with guys like Shalrie, Dempsey, and Twellman.

20. Crapids fan

Crapids fan New Member

May 27, 2005
    Thornton CO
    I think it says a lot that everyone is picking the rapids.
    -The fact that weve sucked it up in the league since 2001.
    -The fact we get hoorible TV coverage, even though our owner owns his own TV station.
    -The fact we get no respect from the league or the soccer press. Even when we were playing well all we would get from the media was "Hey, The rapids won again, Now on to LA". We also get the least amount of highlights and interviews than anyone other than Chivas.
    -The fact that were are in the middle of nowhere, as far as the MLS world is considered
    -The fact that we trade away draft picks like there diseased.
    -The fact that we cant get a decent coach to save our lives.
    -The fact that we have invisible ownership.
    -The fact that we have no marketing.
    -The fact that we play like ********!

We are the Rapids, the lowly Rapids, Nobody likes us, We dont Care! :p :p

21. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have a feeling one of them is leading the league in scoring. It's amazing that the cRapids can even cover that up! :D

I could name a starting line-up for every team in the league off the top of my head, because I'm a big nerd ( :rolleyes: ), but I voted for Chivas because I get confused with all the hispanic names and can't remember where anyone plays. Doesn't help that they change it each week. ;)

I'm surprised the Fire isn't getting more votes. With all our new players, I'd expect more of you to be ignorant. But I guess our 7-2-1 streak is getting the names out.

22. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went with the Wizards. Maybe it's their name and crest or the fact that all those red seats in Arrowhead look terrible without people in them that I pay no attention to this club. Does the city they play in even know who they are? (No offense to you dedicated KC supporters, props to you).

23. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't know too much about the Wiz.. never really cared to I guess, not sure why.. they just seem to bore me for some reason

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I voted for the Rapids.

Not only do I know very little about them now, but I never have. The team out there has never been very "sexy."

Joe Cannon
    Nat Borchers
    Pablo Mastroeni?

and a bunch of nobodies

25. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States