News: MLS Suspends season due to Coronavirus

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Mike Marshall, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    California with the lowest number of Coronavirus deaths on Monday since March 30. Holiday has a lot to do with it, but assuming holiday reporting is similar to Sunday reporting, the point still stands.

2. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    As a result of the pandemic...Australia's PM made some announcements today.

I fell off my seat... work colleagues rushed over to help... grasping for air and in dizzy disbelief I point to my computer screen...

Then another person collapsed in shock struggling to get words out...

Our PM announced today... . he wants to overhaul industrial relations... no brainier as his party is right wing conservative ... followed that up with he wants the Unions involved and business to develop a workable system for job creation and decent pay... he then announced all government current legislation going through parliament against unions would be cancelled.... essentially a type consensus between labour and business to create meaning jobs in new sectors to replace sectors hurt badly by the shut down and broader closures..

Watch the vid it only goes for about 50 seconds ... maybe I am dreaming... read the article as well ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05...elations-business-unions-coronavirus/12287072

3. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the Bayern/Dortmund match that just kicked off, they seem to be piping in fan sounds on the broadcast.

I actually think I prefer it to the empty stadium sounds from the previous post COVID broadcasts I've watched.

If MLS ever does kick off again to empty stadiums, what would be everyone's preference?

AlbertCamus repped this.
  4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    If you’re not 100% watching the game it can be distracting as it doesn’t quite match the action on the pitch.

Is it FOX noise or Germany noise? I heard that the domestic feeds have noise but Phil Bonney clearly said we’d hear everything, because there’s no noise on the int’l broadcast.

Thx,

Jay!

5. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I prefer the empty stadium sounds to fake crowd noise. Watching Dortmund/Bayern I find the latter too distracting.

6. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like it because I normally have other things going on with the game in the background and without crowd noise it can be hard to tell whether anything is happening unless the announcers really get excited. At least one of the games I watched over the weekend did a decent job of changing the sound to match what was happening so it was a nice cue to start paying attention.

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The noise is bad because they are showing a real event in a real place and they should present what is actually happening.

8. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    for me it is like laugh tracks... They don't belong in tv anymore

TheJoeGreene and SccrDon repped this.
  9. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS needs to do this crowd noise thing on some matches just to improve their image

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    This is awful. Fox used to do this nonsense with EPL games, overriding real crowd noise with some canned singing and chanting...

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    NHL to resume season with 24 team playoff in 2 cities.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Candidates for the two NHL cities include Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Pittsburgh, Toronto and Vancouver.

I don't know why Los Angeles is on the list, as it's one of the few cities that still have an increasing rate of infection...

mbar repped this.
  13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it was mentioned in this thread already, but last week DHS announced an exemption to the border entry bans for foreign pro athletes. This is very necessary for the NHL.

14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    And MLS if they want to do home site games after the Summer tournament. Same for NBA.

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Latest update is that this is the format the NHL will use IF the season resumes. No commitment yet.

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    June 1 self imposed deadline for the NBA to announce resumption plans.

Mark Cuban's proposal suggests 5-7 regular season games for all 30 teams to fulfill local broadcast contracts, followed by expanded playoffs with 10 teams from each conference.

Damian Lillard already said that he won't play if his team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2217 Elninho, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    About case numbers: here's a model of current R_e values that includes what I think is the best attempt yet at estimating uncounted cases, using test positivity rates. This includes estimates for all US metro areas that have at least 100 total cases and have had at least three days with 10 or more cases.

(Full disclosure: the person responsible for this modeling is a friend of mine.)

https://www.cerner.com/covid-19/predictive-models/reopening-projections/

The Bay Area is currently seeing a spike in cases as restrictions have been relaxed, and it's not just because of more testing. Also note that some of the places with low R_e values are still not really safe, they're just descending from much higher case numbers, which you can see if you click on the bars for individual metro areas.

Kejsare, sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    California has entered phase 3 of reopening today. Phase 4 includes spectator sports.

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please note that all phases of reopening are pending counties meeting certain benchmarks for case counts, testing, contact tracing, and treatment capacity. What the "Phase 3" announcement means is that California will now begin to certify counties to enter Phase 3, not that the state is moving there as a whole. I don't expect any of the major cities to enter Phase 3 in the next week. For now it will probably only be a few rural counties with extremely low case numbers. Sacramento County, despite having the lowest infection rate of any urban county in the nation and already being able to test asymptomatic people for three weeks, just entered the second stage of Phase 2 on Friday.

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's worth mentioning that MLS and NWSL were NOT mentioned in this exemption. Just the big 4.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    46 out of 57 counties have entered phase 3.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like soccer will have to play this season with players currently in the country.

24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked up the proclamation and here is a quote:

"certain professional sporting groups organizing the United States’ largest sporting events, including Major League Baseball (MLB), the National Basketball Association (NBA), the Professional Golfers’ Association Tour (PGA Tour), the National Hockey League (NHL), the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) and the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA),"

Horribly ambiguous wording, as it says "including", which doesn't explicitly exclude other organizations, but nothing in the proclamation says whether or not this list is the complete list of covered entities. It doesn't mention the NFL, which doesn't have very many foreign players, but it does have some.

AlbertCamus, MLSinCleveland and Kejsare repped this.
  25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    NWSL returning next month with a tournament in Utah. Opener and final to be on CBS. All games streamed.

MLSinCleveland repped this.