News: MLS Suspends season due to Coronavirus

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Mike Marshall, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  2. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
  3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I've heard they'll pay you $5 per game to watch.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Watching the Dortmund vs Shalke Game..

the no celebration thing is stupid. They can't celebrate together, but on corner kicks, free kicks and the like there are a LOT of contaact, not to say the whole game. Banning celebrations while letting the other such contacts occour is just stupid

Burr and Ofori repped this.
  6. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Wouldn't surprise me if MLS does the same when they come back

7. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
  8. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    The lack of crowd interaction wasnt as bothersome as i had imagined it would be.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually had the opposite reaction. A Dortmund match, particularly a rivalry match with Schalke, without the Yellow Wall made it much less enjoyable for me.

11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Watching the non-England non-Germany leagues once they start up is going to be a lot less noticeable.

On the plus side, less racism in Serie A and homophobia and Ligue 1.

sitruc and jaykoz3 repped this.
  12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Maybe we will also finally get some answers of whether antibodies provide immunity in a few months. They almost certainly do, but we just have not had proof yet. Also, all the people who have retested positive in Korea have been shown to NOT be contagious.

EDIT: Also the Oxford study can theoretically be complete by September, but only if enough people in their control group get sick, which means they need the rate of infection in England to remain high.

14. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Unfortunately this is likely going to be the hard part. There's more likely than not "some" immunity given by antibodies but we really don't know how much if any. If not, we're in for a world of problems.

15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    They just want your credit card number.

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    They do. They've been shown to provide immunity in monkeys, and with millions infected around the world we'd be seeing widespread reinfection by now if they didn't. We just don't have any scientific proof yet.

17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    mbar repped this.
  19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    With so many states now allowing spectator free sports, I wonder if the NBA and NHL will end up dropping their neutral site idea... Probably not because of Canadian teams...

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Tax $$$$$$

California might have been the first state to indicate that it was owed state income tax for work performed in California regardless of the legal residence of the person performing the work. This was seen as a way to capture a large portion of payroll being paid out by professional sports teams and entertainment industry (movie business) to players/actors who would maintain their legal residence in a more income tax friendly state.

If professional sports opens back up - specifically the Big 4 sports and specific other athletes (MLS DPs, PGA...) California (and other states) that chose not to open up would be losing large amounts of tax revenue at the exact moment that their revenues are already cratering.

Ismitje and mbar repped this.
  21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I expect that we'd see something like when the New Orleans Hornets spent a couple of years in Oklahoma City after Hurricane Katrina.

There are definitely places that would love to temporarily house an NBA/NHL team (Sprint Center in Kansas City anyone?). I suspect finding temporary homes for Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps, and L'Impact de Montréal wouldn't be too hard.

JasonMa and mbar repped this.
  22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The real problem with New York, California, and Texas (among others) getting on the "let's have pro sports" train is how to safely move teams around. The Big Four leagues could probably foot charters and have dedicated staff/ground transportation. That sort of thing would be a big expense item for a league with MLS's non-gameday revenue stream.

CMeszt, Burr, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    MLS is probably the only borderline major league for whom this will be a tough decision. I don't expect the minor leagues to bother playing games without fans - not enough TV revenue.

24. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For MLS I think the big deciding factor is the language in the TV contract. Do they need to meet a certain number of games to satisfy this season? If they don't, do they owe a year or is the year simply cancelled?
    While our current deal isn't that big, our next deal is widely expected to be much larger. Having to make up a year at the current rate instead of getting to that new deal ASAP is a twist.

25. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS will probably stick with its Orlando plan if it can get the union to agree.