News: MLS Suspends season due to Coronavirus

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Mike Marshall, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words you're full of shit and fear-mongering at a time where people need factual concrete information to make solid decisions. GTFO.

2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And/or they need to stop watching the news.......

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have ESPN+ watch the replay of this game. Great advertisement for the sport:

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Bingo. I should be disregarded for a while at least because I am having a full on breakdown after reading covid news non stop for weeks now.

5. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This is a point where the news might actually be helpful. It's the memes they need to lay off of.

Salvadanish and jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Check out those shoulder stripes. I feel like I'm watching non-Fire MLS.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  7. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you really need soccer fix, Aussie A league is still on this weekend.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LigaMX right now on TUDN.

tigersoccer2005 repped this.
  9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Ok so the way I understand it right now is that literally the only way this stops is when 70% of the WORLD have had it and then we might get herd immunity. And this is going to take at least 18 months. That's 18 months during which every doctor is expected to work 24/7 while their loved ones are dying. And I mean every doctor. If you are a urologist, oncologist, maybe even dentist, doesn't matter all hands on deck. Developed cancer in the next 18 months - kill yourself, you will not survive. Heart disease? Done. Broke a bone? Better fix it yourself. And oh yeah, every time someone gets sick (that's going to be most of us, 70%) you are out for 2-3 weeks if you get the MILD symptoms. Sooooo no more food supply, no more building maintenance , no services at all. So as we get into month 10 and starvation sets in... do you have the weapons to defend your last remaining apple from the hoard of starving raiders looking for food?

Honestly I don't know what I am missing because I literally cannot fathom how most of us can survive this...

10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    You're confusing exposure to coronavirus with contracting COVID. On the cruise ship off Japan, effectively everyone on board was exposed to the virus, about 3700 people. Just under 20% contracted COVID, a little over 700 people. 7 of them or about 1% actually died. And that's in a group that skews older.

SierraSpartan, sitruc, russ and 2 others repped this.
  11. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    So basically you don't understand why anyone would cancel cruises, flights, concerts, sporting events, parades, etc? You'd prefer everyone just catch it all at once and overwhelm health care systems to the breaking point? Or maybe you don't see a need to prevent mass exposure before a vaccine can possibly be found. The vast majority will survive, but why would you want to voluntarily expose people to this virus, especially since there's no precedence regarding long-term effects? Let's put it this way, many people get flu shots every year because they obviously want to prevent getting infected, right? Well this virus is two to three times as contagious as the flu, and currently has a death rate of 3.4% vs 0.1% for the flu. That's actually a low death rate compared to SARS and MERS, but it's also the reason it's spreading so much quicker.

sitruc, DCYC, PTFC in KCMO and 1 other person repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other way around I think, you're exposed to COVID and get coronavirus because of it.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything, you are missing everything. Just stop posting, step away from the computer and TV for a while, get some rest and focus on something else.

sitruc repped this.
  14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Coronavirus" just a category of viruses, though it looks like it's going to be synonymous with this particular disease. COVID-19 (COronaVIrus Disease 2019) is the name of the disease. The name of the virus is SARS-CoV-2, but nobody wants to know that.

15. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you a misunderstanding what he is saying. While Eddy is going to the extreme with his predictions he's not suggesting what you are suggesting. What he is saying, my interpretation, is that because it is spreading so rapidly that eventually so many people will have it or have had it that a herd immunity will eventually happen. He is not suggesting to expose uninfected people to the virus. That is a little too far even for him.

I have followed the spread of this very closely since Dec because I have a pregnant wife and I live in Japan currently. I have been banging this drum that this is going to be more serious than what we have seen before but no one wanted to take it seriously. Now we aren't even allowed to leave Okinawa even if we have orders to leave. Total lockdown and it's scary because Japan were not testing people early on and still aren't really to keep their number low so they can still hold the Olympics. Sorry rant over.

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @crookeddy also seems to forget we will have a vaccine developed in the next 12-15 months. And we will all be washing our hands.

There's a lot of wrong with what he's saying, but the important thing to do is not panic. Panicking does a lot of bad things, but importantly, it raises your stress and lowers the effectiveness of your immune system. Relax. Do some yoga (at home). Eat a banana.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm not at his level of hysteria, I'm not automatically on the "we'll have the cure" train, either. I missed an entire week of work this week, sick. Not from this, but from a f****ng severe cold combined with allergies. They've had all this time to figure THAT shit out, and still haven't, so who knows.

It'll probably be like a bunch of other things: They won't cure it, but they'll find a way to make it manageable.

JasonMa and TOAzer repped this.
  18. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you post this? This guy has absolutely zero credentials to be writing sensationalistic articles such as this. He's not a healthcare professional. Not a science reporter. But he does seem to be a self-promoter. His opinions are no more valid than the average poster on BigSoccer.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Vanarama National League kicks off in 20 minutes. I'm sure that you're all pretty excited. Notts County kick off at 1:20 pm Eastern. Our average attendance is 5,200, I wonder what today's attendance will be.

American Brummie and JasonMa repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the reality is somewhere in the middle. There's a bit of "OMG everyone panic" in that article and he uses way too many numbers, a lot of them out of context (for example, he mentions the high death rate early on in Washington, but never points out that the vast majority of them came from the Life Care Center in Kirkland, an assisted living community). There is some accuracy to his conclusions though and his concern shouldn't be dismissed.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    National League North leaders Wealdstone are currently 1-0 down at Chippenham Town.

23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not dismissing his concerns. Only pointing out that they have no more validity that the average guy on the street. He just happens to have a digital platform that gives him access to millions of readers and the hubris to wrap his concerns in a thin veneer that implies that his conclusions are in some way those of an expert. They're not, period.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #174 Paul Berry, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    I was wrong about the kickoff time.

Notts 4-0 up in the 78th minute.

Attendance about 200 below average at 4,942 ,including 192 away fans.

25. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I woke up this morning, showered, then grabbed a banana and a tall glass of cranberry juice. Will be eating a mandarin here in a moment.

If you guys want to know what I will be doing the rest of the day... I will be playing WOW because there is no ********ing soccer(that I am interested in) for me to watch:-/

JasonMa repped this.