News: MLS Suspends season due to Coronavirus

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Mike Marshall, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also been reported that he and his family have a financial stake in the French company that is a major manufacturer of the drug.......

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last reported positive was on May 4th.

The league outdid expectations:

May 15

-- German public against Bundesliga restart, poll finds

In a survey done by public broadcaster ARD, 56 percent of people polled were against the Bundesliga restart. In a survey that asked 1,074 people, every second person was critical of football returning. Only 31 percent were in favor of the season returning without fans in so called "ghost games."

There was also no clarity amongst those who also wanted further easing of coronavirus restrictions: 40 percent of those asked were for a return of football, 45 were sceptical.

3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3003 Burr, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Chances are New York was still having way more cases per day back then considering their positive rate was at 50% while Florida's isn't even 20% in this peak. That said I only see 10,000 cases recorded today, slightly lower than yesterday, so has it really been surpassed?

Edit: "Nearly tying NY record" just missed it by a bit yesterday. So any day now.. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-cases-break-record-nearly-tying-new-n1232910

FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3004 Paul Berry, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Back in April they weren't even testing people who had symptoms. The instructions were not to seek treatment but to call your doctor if you felt ill.

Also they were sending infected people to nursing homes to recover. Consequently 43% of the deaths (probably more) were in nursing homes.

Cuomo and de Blasio could be in big trouble when this thing is over.

POdinCowtown, blacksun, majspike and 2 others repped this.
  5. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the smaller counties surrounding Tampa actually have more deaths than us so far because they had nursing homes that were hit, so how they're doing is definitely a main driver of that statistic. We'll see if they can hold up against the rest of the populace getting infected. :/

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It only seems remarkable to Americans. Most other first world countries have taken steps to largely beat the disease. So leagues not having positives isn't surprising. The US on the other hand...

Burr, PTFC in KCMO, tomásbernal and 2 others repped this.
  7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    #3007 crookeddy, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Number of US deaths on July 5th was even lower than July 4th. However, I do suspect that these are holiday weekend reporting issues and we'll see a spike today or tomorrow.

One of the trouble spots with hospitalizations recently has been Los Angeles, and they seem to have plateaued. Possibly also reporting issues, so everything has to be taken with some grains of salt.

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah I don't know why other leagues staying healthy is so shocking, when their countries are counting cases in the hundreds not tens of thousands like us.

athletics68 repped this.
  9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The third and final round of a coronavirus prevalence study has confirmed that 5.2% of residents of Spain have developed antibodies for the virus.

Spain had one of the worst outbreaks in the world, so I'd say going for herd immunity without a vaccine is a fool's errand at this point. The city with the highest antibody rate is Soria with 14.4%.

10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    California has banned singing in churches.

athletics68 repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The UK is still a mess but the EPL and the Championship are still going.

The government has officially stopped reporting tests as they've missed every target.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The UK is doing wayyyyyy better than the US even though they started out in the same level of mess. Also, the US is hittign every target on tests, but its not helping...

Also scientists say the targets are about 5-10x too low.

athletics68 repped this.
  13. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I wish they would ban all politicians from opening their mouths!!!

We would be a much better country.

14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    mls mismanagement of this is like a microcosm of the broader countries mismanagement

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    What has MLS mismanaged?

AndyMead repped this.
  16. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I’m not really sure I understand why there is so much vitriol towards MLS and Garber. Unless everyone is so used to being outraged that is their normal human response now.

superdave, crookeddy, blacksun and 2 others repped this.
  17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    This.

18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    the entire quarantine process?

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The quarantine process has worked exactly as intended so far.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting together a tournament where you could barely be sure that nobody was infected inside the bubble before games started wasn't smart. If they couldn't get the union to agree to show up earlier then the tournament idea should have been reworked/scrapped.

sitruc and dougtee repped this.
  21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    and you have one team out of the tournament and myriad others with players sick. the process is garbage and embarrassing to the league

russ and tomásbernal repped this.
  22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So getting sick before quarantine has something to do with quarantine?

FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    yes because you have sick people getting into the bubble aka an ineffectively designed quarantine. the word quarantine isn’t a magic wand

24. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    No sick people have gotten into the bubble.

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've already said this once, but I'll say it again:

I don't really give a shit if the bubble failed, or if people failed pre-bubble. Either way, this is proof that we're just not ready to bring sports back yet in this country. We're not. There's a reason why we've all supposed to have been staying away from each other for months, and that's because there's a virus spreading that we haven't been able to stop.

So now, a bunch of people are trying to get together for a big event, and it's turning into a giant Charlie-FoxTrot.

Cancel it. Cancel all sports. I'd rather have the complete loss of sports serve as notice that we need to take this more seriously than we are than to have the return of sports serve as another excuse for people to continue to not take it seriously.

AndyMead, sitruc, tomásbernal and 2 others repped this.