News: MLS Suspends season due to Coronavirus

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Mike Marshall, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the increase in mail voting are exit polls out the window anyway, or have the networks, etc. found a way around his problem?

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up here in western MA, we have very few MAGA folk, but plenty of Bernie bros. It's the Bernie bros up here that are not wearing masks.

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darts.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    For what it's worth, more people were wearing masks at the grocery on Tuesday when I went than a month ago. It went from majority wearing, to a minority, and now back to a majority.

sitruc and AlbertCamus repped this.
  5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bunch of USL teams announced they will be allowing fans . . . next weekend.

What r u doin USL.

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Guess they aren't worried about drawing large crowds? /cheapshot

sitruc, russ and RafaLarios repped this.
  7. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps a mix of financial desperation and a request from other organizations to "test the waters"??

Chesco United repped this.
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of their pre-election day polling is to ask people if they have voted yet, if they answer yes, they ask them who they voted for and include that in their exit polling.

9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.sltrib.com/sports/rsl/2020/07/03/utah-royals-rsl-fans-may/

What is RSL ownership/management thinking? They are going to allow up to 5,300 fans at Rio Tinto for a Real Monarchs game next week, and they sent an email to RSL and Royals season ticket holders saying they might offer tickets for the NWSL semifinals and final. NWSL league officials seem to be not so sure about that.

Salt Lake City metro area has over 3 new cases per 1,000 people in the last two weeks, which is the highest population-adjusted number for any MLS market outside of Florida. (Orlando and Miami are both over 4.)

Meanwhile, in South Korea, the government postponed a plan that was planned to begin today to start allowing a limited number of fans into soccer and baseball. They're getting around 50 new cases per day in the entire country.

sitruc and nfitz repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last time they played at Rio Tinto the attendance was 2,514.

I assume this is some sort of experiment to see if they can maintain social distancing.

11. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Given the lack of reports of people catching Covid outdoors, a mostly empty stadium seems to be a lesser risk than taking 26 teams, and making them all in the same building, in one of the hottest spots on the planet (in more ways than one!)

Hopefully they keep fans off the pitch ...

12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting to those empty stadiums is the paint point. Flights, busses. Those are where the players would be most at risk for exposure.

Minnman repped this.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Let's be real for a second. Even if they do get several thousand fans for the Monarchs game, that should have zero impact on the sanitation or infection situations at the NWSL Semifinal and Final.

Currently the Real Monarchs have a game on the 18th. The semifinals are on the 22nd. They're definitely going to do a full sanitizing of the stadium, and increasingly, research is saying that very few cases of Covid-19 appear to come from surface transmissions - and I don't think the virus stays viable for four days in the open.

The real risk is that they decide to allow fans. That's what the NWSL needs to not do. What's going on with the Real Monarchs is, in my opinion, a huge mistake if they open the stadium to fans. But it doesn't really affect the NWSL Challenge Cup.

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not worried about that--I'm concerned about the safety for fans and the indication that at least one owner with a stake in all three leagues is pushing for stadium openings in these conditions. If Hansen is doing it, it's likely other owners agree.

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yes, I believe that USL as a whole will be allowing fans. I am assuming not all teams will do so though.

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Costa Rica, who was one of the few Latin America countries to control the virus now had to reinstate rules in several regions due to a June spike. They did manage to finish their soccer season, despite a 3 day delay to the final. (Saprissa won the title)

17. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    I assumed the games were happening.

I was just speaking to whether there was a couple of thousand fans there as well.

Given how bad things are in that country, I have no idea why they entire country isn't still on a lock-down of any non-essential leaving of one's house, with checkpoints in place. But if the games are going ahead anyway ... I don't see issues of some locals walking or driving to a match.

18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The entire country was never on lockdown, that's why things never improved to the level we are seeing in Europe...

nfitz repped this.
  19. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Absurd ... I've barely left my house in months. On the bright side, I haven't filled up with gas since March.

I can tell you, it's going to be a long, long time, before Americans are going to be let into most parts of the world without 2-week quarantines without a good reason, while such a huge disparity exists.

Chesco United repped this.
  20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hansen also laid off an obscene number of staff members.

I sympathize with the desire to drive revenue (I've had about 7 hours of work in two photoshoots since March 11th - so I know what no income stream looks like), but not at the expense of public health.

I think these bubble tournaments are terrible ideas (though if MLS had asked, I would be in Orlando right now).

JasonMa repped this.
  21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Nascar now have their first confirmed infection as 7 time champion Jimmy Johnson has tested positive.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm budgeting as if I'll make about 10% of my normal modest income over the next 12 months.

23. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm worried about #MLSisBack kicking off in COVID-19 infested Florida.

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Restaurants and bars have opened in Brazil cuz... ******** it I guess?