MLS suspended until April 11 at least

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 12, 2020.

1. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Just as well. I'll be slightly busy over the next month...and quite likely longer. Quite the time to get into the business.

2. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay healthy everyone. At least this will be less times where I'll be touching my face.
    upload_2020-3-12_13-47-34.jpeg

DynamoManiac and *rey* repped this.
  3. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    the solution is simple. add the 30 days to the end of the season and have MLS Cup the first week of Dec. but of course, MLS will probably make teams play 4 times in 10 days.

CeltTexan and ElNaranja repped this.
  4. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    The movie Contagion would be a great reminder about washing your hands and not touching your face. Get the point across in 2 hours rather than the months long situation were in one.

DonJuego and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That might work if the delay is only 30 days. We shall see what happens.

6. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm guessing on the whole 2 games a week plan.

gonna be a lot of Wednesday night games IMO

7. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    This assumes it's only a 30 day delay. Just as likely to extend beyond that.

8. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i assumed beyond that actually. once the league gets ramped back up, if they want to keep the same number of games, twice weekly games seems the most viable option. the MLS absolutely does not want to compete against the NFL (nor could they in some stadiums) for any longer than they have to. pushing games well into november and december is a failed consideration. only other option would be to cancel games alltogether

9. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    I'm off till the 31st at least. The CDC is saying that schools should be cancelled for 2 months which would basically be summer break. If that happens, we may just see a cancelation of the entire season.

10. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Season runs until October, so if we are off until let's say late May, no reason to cancel. It's basically just like a season in sports where there is a strike. You reduce the number of games and get on with it.

DonJuego repped this.
  11. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I kind of wish I was off. Most likely have my hours increased. That said, comes with the territory. Agree with DM, if we come back in May, itll be a short season and that's that. If it goes into summer or another delay in the fall, they'll just cancel and start again in the spring.

12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the CDC guidelines of recommending no gatherings or meetings of more than 50 people for the next 8 weeks, the likelihood that MLS restarts anytime before July is very minimal. At this point I would be surprised if we have a season, although MLS could probably push back a season re-start until mid-August and get in maybe 20 games if they stretch into December.

hell, maybe they go full on the International calendar at this point.

But this isn’t going away anytime soon, my hope is that as things progress thru Italy and Europe and in the US that this becomes more of a seasonal flu-type thing and more is learned about it so that some sort of treatment plan can be followed for the next wave that allows some sort of normalcy to return by the start of the next school year.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No MLS sucks! No March Madness sucks!
    Having no March Madness and no MLS at the same time is a back breaker tho!!!

14. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Why is gratitude so hard for us humans? Why do we take so much for granted? I would give anything for a chance to be mad at last Saturday's game, but now, no soccer, no Dynamo, no point in living, lol!

15. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The League play suspension is a windfall for the Dynamo.

While other clubs practice social distancing, noted talent hawk Matt Jordan will scour Europe's elite clubs, like those of the Maltese Premier League, for the next Dynamo world-beater.

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I realize this is secondary to personal health and such. But since we sold no one this winter, are likely paying payroll still, and run a seemingly lean operation, do we have a financial survival issue?

To be fair if this lasts much of any length of time there may be a general economic meltdown anyway.

18. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I imagine the world transfer market will be very lean for a while.

*rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its hard to imagine pro sports much before July, if then. The broader economic depression is what will have the real impact on sports teams since entire segments of the economy may disappear for a time. Bankruptcies, contract defaults, the whole thing will trickle down.

I’d be less concerned with games starting as I would be with the economy restarting this summer.

*rey* repped this.
  20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the flip side of all that however is that once the pandemic resides and folks around the planet are able to get out of their hacienda, get rid of their cabin fever, the food, bar and sports industries will blow up overnight as everyone will want to savor getting out and having a good time. Certainly celebrating with friends the great pandemic of 2020 and still being in good health, able to get back out into what they enjoyed before all this.

Westside Cosmo repped this.