MLS Supplemental Draft - Jan. 26 3:00 p.m.

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by IRguy, Jan 25, 2006.

1. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the fun of the new Name and stuff don't forget about the next draft;)

From the league office:

NEW YORK (Monday, January 23, 2006) – Major League Soccer today announced that the 2006 MLS Supplemental Draft will be held on Thursday, January 26, 2006 at 4:00 p.m. ET via conference call from the League headquarters.
    All players who were eligible and not selected in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft – which was held on Friday, January 20 – and additional players nominated by teams will be eligible for selection in the 2006 MLS Supplemental Draft. The Supplemental Draft can be followed via the DraftTracker on the League’s official website www.MLSnet.com.

The original order of the four-round MLS Supplemental Draft is the same as that of the MLS SuperDraft, which is determined from the reverse order of finish following the 2005 season. Teams have until Wednesday, January 25 at 4:00 p.m. ET to submit players to be added to the eligible player list. The complete list of players will be available on Wednesday after 4:30 p.m. ET on www.MLSnet.com.

MLS teams may begin pre-season training on Monday, January 30, 2006. MLS Cup 2005 finalists, the Los Angeles Galaxy and New England Revolution, have been granted permission to begin training this week as they prepare for the CONCACAF Champions Cup Quarterfinals two-leg series beginning on February 22 and 23. The Revs will face LD Alajuelense and the Galaxy will match up against Deportivo Saprissa also from Costa Rica.

All MLS teams must be in roster and salary compliance on March 1, 2006 (18 Senior Roster, 10 Developmental Roster, 4 Senior International players).

The following is the current order of selection for the 2006 MLS Supplemental Draft (as of 2:00 p.m. January 23).
    NOTE: MLS will impose a trade moratorium beginning at 4:00 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 25 through the conclusion of the Supplemental Draft.

1st ROUND:
    1. Chivas USA
    2. Real Salt Lake
    3. Columbus Crew
    4. Kansas City Wizards
    5. MetroStars
    6. FC Dallas
    7. Houston (from DC)
    8. FC Dallas (from HOU)
    9. Colorado Rapids
    10. Chicago Fire
    11. New England
    12. Los Angeles Galaxy

2nd ROUND:
    1. Chivas USA
    2. Real Salt Lake
    3. Columbus Crew
    4. Kansas City Wizards
    5. MetroStars
    6. FC Dallas
    7. DC United
    8. Houston
    9. Colorado Rapids
    10. Chicago Fire
    11. New England Revolution
    12. Los Angeles Galaxy

3rd ROUND:
    1. Chivas USA
    2. Real Salt Lake
    3. Columbus Crew
    4. Kansas City Wizards
    5. MetroStars
    6. FC Dallas
    7. MetroStars (from DC)
    8. Houston
    9. Colorado Rapids
    10. Chicago Fire
    12. Los Angeles Galaxy

4th ROUND:
    1. Houston (from CHV)
    2. Colorado (from RSL) %
    3. FC Dallas (from MET, CLB)
    4. Kansas City
    5. MetroStars
    6. Chicago (from COL, DAL) #
    7. DC United
    8. Houston
    9. KC (from COL)
    10. Chicago Fire
    12. Los Angeles Galaxy

2006 MLS SUPPLEMENTAL DRAFT RULES

DRAFT ROUNDS: The Supplemental Draft will include four rounds and 48 overall selections.

SELECTION CLOCK: Teams are permitted three (3) minutes to make a selection during each round of the Supplemental Draft.

INTERMISSIONS: There will be a three (3) minute break between each round.

TIMEOUTS: Each team is permitted only one (1) timeout. Timeouts are three (3) minutes in duration. Selections must be made immediately following the timeout. More than two (2) timeouts cannot be utilized consecutively.

FAILURE TO MAKE SELECTION IN DESIGNATED TIME: Teams that fail to make their selection in time must wait until the next selection is made, regardless of whether their choice is presented prior to the next team's decision. The team that was delinquent with its selection must immediately have its choice in hand following the selection of the team that follows. If not, the original team must again wait for the following selection to be made.

2. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS confuses me sometimes. This supplemental draft, is it the same draft that RSL and Chivas were subject to, where the rest of the teams released who they wanted to, and the new teams could pick from that bunch?

3. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nope that was the expansion draft :D

4. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the supplimental draft is just rounds 5-8 of the SuperDraft on a different day awith a different name. The split has to do with the agreement with the players union and they are not fooling anyone.

5. rebel77fl

rebel77fl Member

Dec 19, 2003
    I think the super draft is limited to four rounds in the CBA, possibly? MLS cracks me up, they always promise something and then have to change when they can't deliver. The original press release is pasted above in full states the player list will be out at 4:30 ET today. Well, guess what, it is not out and they changed the previous release to not include any mention of when the player list will be released, classic MLS.

6. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, that is what i was trying to say, poorly it appears.

7. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty well said, and thanks. I just get way lazy about keeping up with the drafts, although it'd be neat if MLS could televise all its drafts. The more exposure, the better. And it's exciting watching it on TV (I just wish 1836 had their branding act together for it). The first player in the first round was from my home county of San Diego. It's always fun to trace the zig zags these players make (maybe just because I've lived in 6 states).

8. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    So last year, Dom was very focused on drafting local players in the Supplemental Draft:

Brett Rodriguez (Creighton University, but family from San Jose area)
    Robby Fulton (Stanford University)
    Noah Merl (UC Berkeley)
    Chris Wondolowski (Chico State, lived in Danville, about 30 miles from San Jose)

I wonder if the local connection will be to California (since that's where Dom probably did most scouting) or to Houston (since that's where the players will be living). Drafting players who have family/ties to the Houston area would certainly help them to adjust, and maybe draw a few more fans.

Any speculation on local Houston college talent (either from nearby Universities, or who have family in Houston)?

9. rebel77fl

rebel77fl Member

Dec 19, 2003
    No, you said it fine, I just type slow and did not see your post before I posted.

10. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandi Gbandi, UAB.

edit: he's not on the list, but a camp invite wouldn't shock me.

11. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I do think that whoever shows the draft in the future should get their reporters those swanky wireless headsets instead of having to watch those guys struggle with holding mics and talking...

also they need more footage of the players...and a fancy draft board...and Mel Kiper...

bford