MLS Summer Interregnum Thread (Nations League, Euros, Copa, Gold Cup, Other PBP)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Jun 3, 2021.

1. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    And in the final Olympics soccer match, Brazil's men beat Spain in extra time 2-1 to defend their gold medal from Rio.

2. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've taken 3 dumps this week that were more exciting than this Community Shield match. I guess it's Nascar truck/Xfinity racing, English League One/Championship matches, and LLWS regionals for the next couple of hours until MLS matches kick off.

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Thx,

Jay!

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Middleweight boxing champion Lauren Price also plays soccer for the Welsh national team.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Her win guaranteed the US would have the most GOLD medals at the Games.

6. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I thought I was a die hard fan getting up at 5 am on a Friday to watch the Women's Gold Medal match, apparently not...

AndyMead and GunnerJacket repped this.
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WTF are you eating?

carnifex2005 repped this.
  8. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not surprised by this--but to be completely fair, and I know that perhaps many will disagree with me, I am finding snoozer games to be more prevalent in Euro soccer presently than they were even just a few years back. Many games turn out to be a case of cruel and unusual punishment for soccer fans to watch. Even the really big games between league giants will often turn out to be 0-0 or 1-0 snoozers with lots of defensive football and teams canceling each other out. Sometimes this phenomenon is called "negative football." It's not necessarily the score--I think it's more the team effort and at other times it's the coaching. Every time I see a coach roll out an ultra defensive formation guaranteed to clog the midfield all I can do is just roll my eyes and hope for the best. I think we all know there's a difference between a close nail biting 1-0, and a 90 minute snooze fest and we can all as fans spot when players are giving it their all and when they're just mailing it in.

I grew up watching Serie A in the 80's and the infamous "Sunday nap." At that time it was just a feature of that one league. If you tuned in to Serie A back then you knew full well what you were in for. Today however this mentality has spread into the other major Euro leagues. Of course there are exciting games each season and that's why we as soccer fans keep watching and why we keep coming back to our favorite Euro leagues year after year--because the memory of the few good matches stays in our heads and overshadows the many forgettable ones. However, now those beautiful games seem to be scattered oases of football fixtures in an otherwise arid season-long calendar for each league. It shouldn't be this way really. I understand full well as a fan of soccer that it is virtually impossible for every game in a season to be either an exciting tension filled close nail biter of a game or an action packed attacking fiesta with lots of goals, but at the same time tuning into the knockout stages of the Champions League on tv shouldn't be the only place a fan can turn to in order to get consistently good quality football that is watchable.

I am sure that a huge part of this is that inside each league the distinction between the league "giants" and the league "minnows" seems to be growing. The "league giants" keep getting bigger and everybody else just has to make do with what they have. Oftentimes smaller clubs and mid table clubs have no choice but to play ultra defensively and hope for a tie when they play the super rich clubs.

Ismitje and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English football was nearly as bad as Serie A in the eighties and nineties. In fact the whole hooliganism thing grew with the end of wing play in the 70s and the move to prevent goals rather than score them, mainly through the offside trap. Fans were bored.

Eventually they brought in 3 points for a win and there was a lot of talk about bonus points for scoring goals, which thankfully never happened.

The only reason that English football was more exciting than Serie A was the lack of competence. Every English first division team had a few skilful players and a bunch of "cloggers" who's job it was not to let them pass.

Two teams seemingly immune from negative play were Manchester United and Tottenham but Arsenal were the epitome.

The 'interfering with play' change to the offside rule made a huge difference.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think the economic morass that England was with unemployment and attacks on social safety nets by the Thatcher government had more to do with the rise of hooliganism than the end of wing play.

Which is just an excuse to post this:

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)

Hooliganism predated Thatcher. It became a thing in the seventies, it got organized in the eighties.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC U21 vs. Leon O31 has kicked off.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can pull these games into the weekly thread. Oh, wait, we don't have one yet?

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    All of my questions have been answered with this post.

AndyMead repped this.
  15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an absolutely ATROCIOUS play from the Leon attacker. On what planet do you not square the ball for the easiest goal ever?

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    O SKC may not see the semifinals.

17. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's likely the dagger, but honestly it's commendable that SKC even made it to the knockout stages of this tournament.

AndyMead repped this.
  19. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Matty Lawerence has no off switch.

and this game sucks.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this post.

I planned to watch this game but given that SKC can hardly be bothered to try (two starters?), perhaps I should enjoy an evening on the deck.