MLS Starting Goalkeepers - 4 ex Dynamo/Quakes

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by dynamofan, Mar 12, 2008.

1. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    I was looking at the other teams and who the projected starting keepers are this year, and was surprised to find out that 4 of them are players who played for the Earthquakes and/or Dynamo in the past. And 3 of them are guys who have played backup to Pat Onstad in the past 4 years.

I know everyone realizes that Wells is starting for DC, but did you know about the others:

Cannon - starting for current Earthquakes, played for previous Quakes/Dynamo

Cronin - starting for Galaxy, played backup to Onstad in 2004

Conway - starting for New York, played backup to Onstad in 2005-2006

Wells - starting for DC, played backup to Onstad in 2007

So is this a bad thing, that the Dynamo have let so many backup keepers go and have kept Onstad (who is clearly on the tail end of his career)? Or is it just the way things go with keepers in MLS....

2. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    be proud that good things have sprouted from us. besides we ain't doing too shabby with 2 cups in 2 years.

3. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yea, and Onstad says he's coming into this season more fit than ever. I think he said he has been trainning up in Big Bear with Oscar De La Hoya for the past six months and says he can take Apollo Creed with one hand tied behind his back...........okay maybe not the last part, but something like that.:rolleyes:

4. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that means Tony Caig can look forward to starting for a MLS team in the next season or two.

5. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    And don't forget that rookie they picked up, skinny legs and all. what's his name again?? :confused:

6. dynamo JZ

dynamo JZ Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Waller. Someone Waller, can't remember his first name.. but he's pretty good from what little I've seen of him.

7. bilzy

bilzy New Member

Feb 1, 2007

I personally hated when Conway and Cronin were traded. I was always impressed with both and believe they will make their mark in the league. Zach ,as much as I hated to see him leave, needed to get on with a starting spot now. He was ready and he deserves it . Conway and Cronin weren't starter material at the time of their trades . It was obvious they would both be there in a short time and I know both will be great too. I don't see it as a bad thing but I still wish we had held on to Cronin or Conway. Cannon was great during his first Quake run and will probably do well now too. He has never been the quality keeper that Pat is though and he never will be either.