MLS Should strip AEG and Houston of its 2 MLS Cups

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Wile Coyote, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    garber said a few days ago that the San Jose Team was moving and becomming a houston club but the colors and history name and logo belong to san jose Should one day a new San Jose team come along..

Now that keeping the quakes in SJ is a posiblity that is gone I say that perhaps some San Jose Quakes fans who have the money Shoud contact the new Houston club and Buy the 2 MLS Cups and any other silverware that was "accidently" put in a box and moved to Houston.....

Or perhaps the supporter clubs or just fans of the club can get the US Soccer Hall Of Fame involved and get the 2 mls cups and any other trophies won by the SJ quakes, to be given or donated to the hall of fame...

If garber is serious about leaving behind he history of the quakes in san jose then MLS executives should force AEG to give up the 2 MLS Cups won by the earthquakes.. MLS should force Houston or better yet STRIP the houston club publicly of any and all Trophies won by the san jose club.... Houston should be forced to sell the trophies to a collector OR Force the Club to give up the trophies to the Soccer hall of fame...I like the hall of fame option better....

Should one day a new ownership come up in SJ and get done what AEG failed to get done and should this new ownership decide to call their expansion team the San Jose Earthquakes and should they want back their 2 MLS Cups won by the old AEG quakes then and only then should the hall of fame return the cups and other trophies to this new Quakes, should they return.........

IF YOU WANT TO START OVER IN HOUSTON FROM SCARTCH THEN YOU KNOW WHAT SO SHOULD YOUR TROPHY CASE!!!!!!!

The last thing you want to see is houston market themselfs as 2 time MLS Cup Champions!!!! Its bad enough San Jose fans were given the shaft no need for them to see the 2 MLS cups they enjoyed when they supported their club in San Jose to be marketed as if it were some grand accompishment that houston fans traveled to for MLS Cups 2000 and 2002...i believe those who traveled were san jose fans...

2. shortee

shortee Member

Jun 7, 2002
    East Bay
    MLS also retained the Quakes' records which includes both MLS Cups. Houston only gets the players/coaches.

3. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    I imagine that the MLS will retain the trophies as they have with everything else concerning the quakes.

It would be ridiculous if they in fact let Houston start with two stars, as they are for all puposes being treated like an expansion team.

4. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    Hey guys this was already discussed in the San Jose EARTHQUAKES thread.

Soccer Silicon Valley were promised by the MLS in 2004 that San Jose would retain the name, cups, colors and trophies.

It is up to the MLS to demonstrate good faith as what was binded in a gentlemens agreement to provide SoccerSiliconValley the trophies. I trust that with SSV wonderful support http://www.soccersiliconvalley.com to providing a future for soccer in the South Bay, that they will find a good showcase in the City to show off the Cups.

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    pay attention ********head

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    play nicely with others, scaryice

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that the records/cups/etc belong to the Earthquakes, not Houston, and if and when Earthquakes re-emerge, they start with two stars, two cups, and 10 years of won-lost-tie history. I expect the same good faith at the end of 2006 season when Quakes supporters have to tender the Supporters' Shield to next season's winners, and was sorry to hear that some are urging the Supporters' Shield be hi-jacked.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad that many of the similar posts from Fusion fans in late 2001/early 2002 were lost in the Great BigSoccer Crash of '02.

9. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't we encourage them to keep the trophy as a fond memento?

Our current trophy looks like it was made by some student supporters in their metalshop class.

It's time to collect some money and get ourselves a nicer looking trophy.

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, we have a thread about the Shield on the Quakes forum, and nobody has suggested anything of the sort.

11. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If so, I was misinformed and apologize for spreading an unfounded rumour.

12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, not quite. I think a person or two joked about it "being lost", but the supporter club did say it would be brought to the next Summit. I admit, it is ugly. Maybe something that looks more like a "shield" perhaps? :rolleyes:

13. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    If this is the beginning of a movement to "do what we all know needs to be done" with Mr. Anschultz then, please, sign me up.

If not then I'm leaving.

14. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Man, I hope the Galaxy win the shield next year...

15. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    I hope the Galaxy get 'an invisible shield of protection that keeps them dry all day'...

(They stink)

~I've already added everyone's name to the list (not to be confused with any other lists), along with some made up ones too...

16. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Is there a limit to stupid posts by obviously uninformed 13-year-olds on here? People like this and the others who blame AEG for, well, basically keeping the Earthquakes in SJ for 3 or 4 extra years while losing millions they didn't have to lose. They played in the worst stadium in the league and, aside from 1-year-old Real Salt Lake and the Wizards, are the only team without a stadium plan (The Revs play in a place they control).

If you're going to complain and complain, at least get your facts straight. You might also want to blame the people of San Jose that, as some article said, didn't show up unless LA was in town. Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA sucked big time on the field yet both drew more fans than San Jose. If you expect to keep a team that is losing money and can barely average 10,000 fans/game, you really need to get a reality check.

17. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Ironic.
    EVERY team in the league loses money... right?...right?
    Spartan Stadium honestly wasn't the worst stadium in the league. The NFL stadiums are worse by miles. Chivas doesn't have a stadium plan, Real Salt Lake does, and Lamar owns the Wizards, the Chiefs, and Arrowhead...
    That looks rather foolish in light of the previous quote, now doesn't it?
    As some article said, huh? There's your facts for you... :rolleyes:
    The also drew more fans than DC, Metros, Colorado, Columbus, New England, and Kansas City... What's your point?
    How many doubleheaders did the Quakes get to inflate those numbers again????? We'll see how that goes once the new wears off...
    You mean like almost every other team in the league? I guess MLS should just fold then...

18. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    The Quakes drew 13,000 on average, did a phenomenal job with season ticket sales despite all the front-office problems, and according to Johnny Moore they lost less money than any AEG team other than the Galaxy.

19. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The Quakes sucked at drawing fans. Yes, so did a lot of other teams, but they either have stadiums or are in the process of getting them. They deserved to be moved.

20. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    Why does "get your facts straight" never last very long as an anti-Quakes motto? I know you didn't write that, but I'm just curious. SSV, with little help, nearly produced a stadium deal. The Quakes, in terms of attendance, were arguably in the ascendancy. Again, our money losses were not nearly what other teams were losing. What happens to "get your facts straight" after a minimum of discussion?

21. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Although I can't condone your over-zealous approach, it is an interesting point.

Both SJ and Houston cannot be 2 time winners. Of course, this is only an issue once SJ has (if) a new team.

MLS should certainly not publically strip AEG of the two cups. As the team owner it is entirely within their perogative to move the team as they desire. Not that I agree with it, per se, but it is their choice as owners and operators.

Could someone elighten me as to what the situation was with Cleveland and Baltimore (did the Browns win any Superbowls prior to being moved/resurrected?)

22. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lamar does not own Arrowhead.

Andy

23. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Getting back to the title of this thread: Doesn't the Quakes' record, as well as the team colors, remain in San Jose for the possible reincarnation of the team under new ownership?

Seems to me there is nothing to strip. The players and coaching staff are moving to a new location, will assume a new name with new colors, and will start a new record.

24. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that's a little excessive. The Quakes situation was not the worst. And the average attendances and numebrs looked relatively good - aside from the SSS situation. However, it's been said many times.....every so often you have to go through with a bluff or it stops working. It's a gamble, but I hope it pans out in the long term.

25. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Houston should get the stars because it's the same franchise that won the previous MLSCups. You guys are letting your hearts interfere with your heads on this one. If San Jose comes back, they should start out with nothing, as they will be expansionary. Houston should have the rights to the E-Quake records between 1996-2005.