MLS should ban PA music and sound effects

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by wufc, Jun 30, 2005.

1. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanna see Garber do this, to see the looks on the faces of the Hunt family.

2. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    [Ed McMahon]You are correct, sir. YES![/Ed McMahon]

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell Yes.

If Lamar Hunt isn't careful, he's going to turn into our version of Malcom Glazer.

4. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i sometimes think this as well... but can u imagine what most stadiums would be like without the sound effects and the music?

i'll give you a hint

[​IMG]

5. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But imagine you are sitting in this quite peacefull setting and all the sudden your concentration is interupted by this loud "BOOOOIIINNNG" noise.

When you have a cavernous stadium and it is only 1/21 full, the sound effects echo even louder.

We need to ditch the Cartoon Network Soundtrack. Even if it means a few moments where there is a noise lull in the stadium.

6. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i guess replacing the cartoon sound effects with other sound effects would be ok. i vaguely remember metros games from like 9-10 years ago , when they would have cool stuff on the screens/PA after saves or shots/goals, like clips from movies and stuff. i may just be making all of this up, or dreamed it, but i think they should bring that back to GS if it really existed before.

also, they would have 'current' music playing at halftime, or during stoppages of play... i think that would be a big improvement over anything they play on the PA now. of course, i dont know how well the youth soccer teams (their parents i mean) would take to 50 cent or eminem being played at the games... but maybe non-explicit music would be ok.

then again, i can't really recall too many cartoony sound effects at Giants stadium... but these tips would work well in any stadium.

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind the music, but the sound effects are ********ing rediculous.

8. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If you look at it in the sense that the Hunts consistently do things that clearly are not popular with fans, then he already is Malcom Glazer.

9. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    There should never be any music played during play at any MLS games. Music before, during halftime, or afterwards is ok. also i like music after goals are scored. i dont really mind movie clips for example late in the game when the game is coming down to the wire playing a clip of a video that will get fans pumped is ok but sound effects are just cheesy.

10. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
  11. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    boooooooring

12. Exeter City

Exeter City New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    NH coast/Beverly MA
    They should not only do away with noises and sound effects but the constant verbal advertisments they do WHILE THE GAME IS GOING ON. At foxboro they do this all the time. I find it insulting to not only me as a fan but to the players as well. Can you imagine what it must be like to be playing while an advertisement is being read.

13. endaf_99

endaf_99 Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Long Beach, CA
    While the game is in progress ban music, ban the sound effects and definetly ban the commercials. I am sick and tired of hearing about the Kohls family of the game and "this corner brought to you by western union"

14. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Yes, yes, 100 % yes. It all makes the league look pathetic and amateurish.

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Please tell me the good things about music and sound effects during the run of play.

16. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I too would like to hear this. Particularly, would you stop attending games if there weren't some "boooiiing" sound everytime there was a header at midfield?

17. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if Pizza Slut Park is going to have PA music and sound effects? I hope not, but it seems ripe for the picking since they are going to be gunning for the suburb-oriented crowd. And this is an HSG thing (as evidenced by KC and Columbus being the worst violators)...has Dallas had PA music since the Hunt family has taken over the team?

18. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen....I feel dirty everytime I'm at a SJ game and I hear "Quakes Corner Kick" read by a monster-truck rally announcer voice trickle out of Spartan Stadiums $15 Radio Shack speakers taped to the end of a pole.
    PLUS, from the psychological standpoint, when you play sound effects or music during a game, it instantly turns the crowd into removed observers (a la television viewing audience) rather than participants in the spirit of the match. It essentially says, "shut up fans, we'll provide the team spirit."

19. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's the American way. EVERY sporting event in America has artificial noise. It's because there aren't any supporters groups or circulated chants in those other team sports, they're ALL casual observers, even the diehard season ticket holders.

On the other hand, college basketball and football replicates the REAL crowd frenzy that us soccer fans want to experience. You NEVER hear any arena effects during those games, only the songs from the band (which I like for football, not so much for basketball) and chants from the student groups. The cheerleaders and mascots usually never get in the way either.

20. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Exactly, it kills the crowd noise, plus it's insulting like you mentioned. They need to have the same respect for the game and the fans that they do at US national team games. We've come so far since the start of MLS, but there's still a few things left that need to be fixed that are minor league, and this is one of them.

21. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe us fans should start a HUGE campaign to get this crap out, like the anti-shootout campaign that occurred in the first few years. I don't know how, but something has to be done.

22. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    None of that crap in DC :) Should that tell other FOs something?

Maybe other stadiums will be like libraries, but as long as they're playing sounds during game and other crazy stunts FOs pull they're actively attempting to kill atmosphere. I'm not sure what scares them about it.

23. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    This was discontinued this season. Spartan Stadium is now safe for human habitation.

Signed,

Your Monster-Truck Rally Announcer

PS: Radio Shack thanks you for the plug.

24. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    The sad thing is that almost every MLS team has (or had at one time) a supporters group that provides plenty of singing, chanting, sound & visual effects during the game. It seems like the FO's of most clubs haven't promoted this and used this to their advantage. I'm sure that you've talked to or have heard of people at DC games who watch what Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles are doing more than the game itself. In DC it seems to have just worked out where there is decent atmosphere and no music is needed (maybe because of lots of hard work by the group leaders). My question is why hasn't MLS HQ tried to have a closer bond with the supporter's groups? Is is because they are afraid that they will be associated with hooligan violence???

25. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's because MLS is still going after the kiddies and the families. Many parents DO complain about supporters groups, saying they cuss too much.