MLS Shootout profit

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by bazooka, Aug 6, 2002.

1. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Is that just on DirecTV or for the entire InDemand system?
    If that's just DirecTV, then multiply that number by about 3 for DishNetwork and Digital Cable coverage and you're looking at around 60,000 subscribers.
    At $50 each, you're looking at around $1.2 million in revenue.

2. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, 20,000 total subscribers, regardless of system.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's a lot higher than I would have guessed. I suspect a big part of the difference between $69 and $49 was ESPN's cut.

As far as the amounts bandied about I would be shocked if the carrier (cable, DBS) cut was as low as 10 percent. I could easily see it being a 50/50 split. Of course I have no basis of fact, these are merely opinions.

Arena games, NFL Europe, the old Canadian Football League (during the US expansion era), all of these have been, or are, available to those without subscription. Of course you do need access to various regional sports networks. A lot of college sports and niche minor leagues (indoor soccer, professional lacrosse, rugby) also show up sans blackout. I think the only subscriptions are for the big four, MLS, WNBA, college football, and men's college basketball.

4. MetroMLS

MetroMLS Member

NYCFC
    Chile
    Mar 24, 1999
    Miford, CT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they iron things out, and you can order the package early next year. I bet there will be a higher number of subscribers, you can add me to the count.

5. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Mass. Digital Cable Subscribers?

Is there anyone in MA out there who is getting the Shootout right now via Digitial Cable?

I still can't get it on my system.

6. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I subscribed to the Shootout with DirecTV, they let me know that I would be automatically resubscribed next year unless at some point I specifically request not to.

So if things are ironed out as they say, it will be even smoother for current subscribers to subscribe next year. ;)

- Paul

7. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Re: Mass. Digital Cable Subscribers?

I can't get it either, but they just introduced FSW, so I'm hoping to do better next year. I'd like to have it just for the playoffs (being in NE, it's about the only way I'd ever get to see any).

8. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    updating with an old post out of curiousity.

what is the current number of people subscribing to the Shootout?? (the original number listed about a year ago was 20,000.
    And was the technical problems of 2002 fixed in 2003? I don't have the Shootout, thus can't answer that question.

9. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    Just in case anyone "in charge" is lurking what would be really really cool is if they could show the matches more than once--that way you don't have to decide between two (or sometimes three) games shown at the same time, you can catch the "other" games at a later time (esp. important for those of us with tivo/replay tv features who want to time-shift our viewing).

10. djwalker

djwalker BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. That would make the whole thing perfect.

Who would be the person to contact about that? MLS, DirecTV, my Congressman? Anybody?

11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    In addition to the subscriber base, they probably do a bit of business with a la carte sales. I believe it's $6.99 per game.

12. ussoccer1001

ussoccer1001 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    My cable service is Charter Communications who does not carry the MLS Shootout package. Which is disappointing because I would order it if I could.

Not enough people watch MLS on television to justify all of the game being on television. As the league gets more popular more networks will pick up games. For example Fox Sports World picked up MLS games this year. Now two games every Saturday are on. That is probably what the average fan would be willing to watch.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I hope the MLS is making $$$ !!!!

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yahoo Platinum does this. The games are archived about 25 minutes (or so) at the conclusion of the match. Since it uses the real player or windows media player (user choosing), you also have the ability to start, stop, pause and all that whenever you want.

$9.95 a month, also giving you access to other programming.

Of course, if you have a crap computer or internet connection, preformance will vary.

15. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Re: Shootout profits?

How? Because your a minority in the thousands that have it numb nuts!!

16. LiveFreeOrDie

LiveFreeOrDie New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Someone must have some stats on this. Kenn maybe?

Best sports package - great deal!

17. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Ditto. Give that man an Aquafina!