MLS sets second expansion-study Portland visit

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLS1FAN, Oct 17, 2007.

1. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm guessing that most sports fans probably don't tune into that show. The Sonics changed broadcast partners from our sports radio channel (KJR) to a conservative talk channel much like what TM is describing. Their listenership absolutely plummeted.

2. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahah "TM" nice! It's not that people don't listen per say, but the people that do, wouldn't support soccer anyway, so it's not as if it matters that it was said. The only people listening likely were people that agree with him and would never support MLS anywhere, and Timber's fans who wanted to hear what Garber had to say. It was hurtful to us that somebody from our lovely city would treat a guy of his importance to some of its residents in such a way (and not even a political figure). Thing is, when Garber was able to talk, he said some awesome stuff. Awesome and I think he made a GREAT argument for MLS in Portland. I feel for Garber, he was really shit on in the end, I'd hate to be treated like that by another human being.

3. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Can't bear to listen to it -- can you hit the high points of what The Don said before the unfortunate end?

4. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
  5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really suggest everyone listen to their interview with Garber. He is tremendous. MLS, when all is said and done, will owe SO MUCH to Don Garber. He has transformed MLS from a struggleing entity to a league with a tremendous future.

This interview is so fascinating. It may be my biased opinion but I think that Garber makes these guys look extremely foolish.

I shook his hand once on the concourse at the HDC before the Chicago-San Jose MLS cup final and thanked him for all he has done for soccer in this country and I think everyone should do the same given the oportunity.

6. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will shake his hand one day at a Timbers match.

7. stlknited87

stlknited87 New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Belleville, IL
    i would agree that to any reasonable person, Garber sounded much better on air. he answered there questions while they were continully rude to him and eventually cut him off in order to hang up on him. So far garber has been great.

8. j66j66

j66j66 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    our always intrepid ohhhh_yeaaahhhh scarfed him last night:

[​IMG]

when did he lose the dot-com goatee?

9. antezma

antezma New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Seattle
    Canzano states at the outset of the interview that he would like to discuss whether soccer is a good fit for Portland, and whether the city of Portland should be in the business of sports, i.e. spending taxpayers' money to assist professional sports franchises. He then states that he believes cities should be in the sports business, that teams generate revenue for the city through taxes, they bring in more jobs, and they raise the profile of the city. He later says, however, that the city should not spend money to renovate PGE park to fit the specifications of MLS because it "would be a bad investment." He quotes no data to support his views. He suggests hockey would be a better fit, without providing data. He then gets ticked off because, despite the fact that Garber quoted data regarding the profitability of MLS teams, talked about the growth of the league (stability), mentioned the multitude of TV contracts (stability and income), Garber couldn't tell him how much the city itself was going to make on its $20 million dollar investment. Canzano hung up on him for not directly answering an unanswerable question. He cut off the interview after he contradicted his own statement. He never gave any tangible reason why soccer is not a good fit for the city.

Why did Paulson and Garber think it would be a good idea to go on this show? Sitting down with a noted soccer basher and hard-nosed journalist who asks the "tough" questions is going to accomplish what? Were they blindsided by the real agenda of the interviewers, that is, to discuss what they thought government should spend their hard-earned tax dollars on? Now admittedly it's a valid question, but I don't see any way out of that hornets nest.

Fortunately, this little moment does nothing to hurt Portland's chances.

10. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You left out that terrible end to the interview where Canzano was being a complete dick and calling Garbers MLS "minor league". He basically slapped Garber in the face with his words.

11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to disagree with you a little bit. I think Garber came off as the winner in this exchange and probably helped lift MLS in the process.

You have to talk to the people who disagree with you to effect change over a period of time.

Kudos to Don.

12. antezma

antezma New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Seattle
    You are right about Canzano's response. If rudeness is what a tough journalist is measured by, he's right up there with the best of them.

Those who remain polite and never lower themselves to another's level, always win, even when being slapped around. Garber responded in a way we should all teach our kids to respond when faced with such lowballed tactics. Paulson did well in refusing to go on air, rather than take the opportunity to give it back to Canzano. You know, if you don't have anything nice to say....

Facing his critics occupies a large percentage of Garber's time, I'm sure. Garber does not need to face a sports journalist on air in an almost MLS city, though. Paulson should have gone on air first. He should have led the interview and tried to outline why Portland should contribute money towards luring an MLS team.

13. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously but Garber was great. He handled there bs questions over and over again. They asked the same question 2x about it being minor league.
    Then they hung up on him.

Seriously..Wow I have never..(and I have heard some bad shock sports jocks) I mean I have never heard them hang up on someone. You just dont do that. Ever..You can ask stupid and inane questions but hang up on someone. Bad move.

14. webfoot

webfoot Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Corpse in Houston, spirit in Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Unfortunately, as a former Portland resident this surprises me like not at all.
    Let the record reflect that I, and numerous others would LOVE to see Portland in the MLS. The powers that be don't see it that way. They are too busy taxing people out their ASS to help out the homeless and the junkies. Let's see, we can throw money into a bottomless pit, with little or no chance of return on investment, or, we can invest in a sports franchise which injects cash into the local economy and puts the stadium to good use.

Thats' a tough call (not).

I wish you luck Timbers supporters.

15. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the time comes, we'll make sure not to bother you with Cascadian citizenship. ;)

- Paul

16. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I did not know I wore Birkenstocks.

17. I thought Garber came off as the adult and those 2 came off as 3rd graders. It sounded like those 2 guys whole deal was more about no taxes for stadiums more then anything else. Hanging up on someone is completely unprofessional and I give credit to Paulsen for telling them to go ******** themselves.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, this was the highlight of the interview:

Garber said:
    "We're about to finalize a deal in Philadelphia that is a major market in a place that ... soccer's no more successful and popular there than it is here, and the city, the state, and the county are putting a package together that could ultimately fund most, if not all, of a $125 million stadium. And that's why Philadelphia's very high on our list."

:)

19. Chris '66

Chris '66 New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Maybe the Timbers Army should do some sort of rally outside the studios of these dudes? Show them who you are and what you are all about. It might not change their minds about anything but you guys could get some big press from other outlets. Some nice chants could come out of this for next season.

Just an idea.....

20. j66j66

j66j66 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, fecking homeless and junkies. They should rot so we can watch some dudes kick a ball around. Feck compassion or human decency, we've got a match to watch.

21. webfoot

webfoot Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Corpse in Houston, spirit in Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    They have this great new invention...
    It's called charitable organizations.

I prefer not to be in the enabling business.

22. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

OK.

No more public funding of soccer stadiums.

23. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Repped, dammit.

24. JuanCasa

JuanCasa Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Oakland
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I love Portland....:) Smileys all around

25. j66j66

j66j66 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh right, thanks. i forgot that they solved that homeless problem a few years ago. thanks, "charitable organizations," now there's no more homeless people in portland!

sorry to everyone else for the derail, but honestly, i thought it was common sense that "taking care of the less fortunate" should be higher in priority than professional sports teams.