MLS sets second expansion-study Portland visit

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLS1FAN, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007
    Major League Soccer's top brass plans to revisit Portland today to analyze more closely the possibility of fielding an expansion team at PGE Park, officials said Tuesday.

MLS commissioner Don Garber and league president Mark Abbott are scheduled to meet this afternoon with Merritt Paulson, who is negotiating to bring the highest level of U.S. soccer to Portland. In May, Paulson became owner of the Portland Timbers soccer franchise, which plays one notch below MLS, and the Portland Beavers, a Triple A baseball team.

After talks today, Garber and Abbott plan to watch the 7 p.m. exhibition between the U.S. and Mexican women's soccer teams at PGE Park. Garber did not have a chance to see the stadium in "game condition" for a significant event when he first inspected PGE Park in March, said Dan Courtemanche, a league senior vice president.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1192591536232800.xml&coll=7

2. DigzTFC

DigzTFC Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Halifax
    If Garber is looking to expand into Portland, then he's not stopping at Fifa's 20 team rule. It would make no sense to maximize coverage in the US and Canada by putting in Portland. That said, Portland would be a great option. I'm guessing he's looking at a league of 24....which is overkill in my opinion.

3. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I would think that at some point contraction might actually come into play as well.

4. mabersold

mabersold Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Seattle
    20 team rule? There's is no such rule. It's more of a guideline than an actual rule.

5. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't suprised if this is all an attempt to stay balanced between East and West. To wit:

2008: San Jose (7 teams per conference)
    2009: Seattle, St. Louis
    2010-11: Philadelphia, Portland

Maybe?

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Highly unlikely. There are no more league owned teams (which were always prime targets for contraction) and the only owner owned team to be contracted was Horowitz who never had the cash to run with the big dogs in the first place. When he was contracted out, the value of a franchise was probably 10 million.

Now, there are multiple cities that want in and the value of an MLS franchise is $30 million plus. I don't think we will see contraction unless the league takes a drastic turn for the worse. Moving is another story. I don't want to see teams move, but this is America and these things happen. With individual owners, that is kind of up to them.

7. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Garber please just focus on St. Louis, Philly, and Seattle. Since these cities are so much further along in negotiations than Portland and others. It seems like Garber has a deep love for Canada and Pac NW and doesn't care about anywhere else. It looks like Seattle will be in and then St. Louis looks just about ready. Garber should work more closely to finalize these plans and wait for the next round of expansion to look into other cities.

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good businessman always puts all his eggs in one basket. Diversification is for **************.

Considering the success of the one Canadian side in MLS, the fact that the two other likely Canadian expansion cities (Vancouver and Montreal) already have a stadium or, at the very least, the shovels have hit the dirt, why not look towards Canada?

As for the Pacific NW, adding Portland and Vancouver would see a three-team "derby" that would be as intense as anything we've got in the league thus far.

Why? Strike while the iron's hot.

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this is exactly what happens. It will be so much better for both Seattle and Portland if they are both in the league - great rivalry. Not only that, it will keep the number of teams even and allow for a balanced schedule.

10. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Since he took over, the league has added Chivas, RSL, Toronto and announced re-expansion in San Jose. The next two appear to be Seattle and St. Louis/Philly.

Two teams in CA, one in the west, one in Canada, one in the PNW, and one in either the mid-west or mid-atlantic. How is that showing deep love for Canada and the PNW only?

11. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, if he were to go with Philly/NY in 2010-2011, then he could move K.C. back out West and all would be well. But this is probably a moot point, since MLS might be in a single table by then. After all at 16+ teams, each team would logically play all others home and away and if that is the case, then it would make no sense to have conferences. And hey, you never know, we could see Portland/NY in 2010-2011.

12. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Portland is arguably farther along than all of them -- or any potential site. Portland already has a properly sized stadium, in a great location, and run by the owner of the Timbers. Yes, it needs some renovations, but that's much easier than build a new stadium from scratch. Given, say, a year's lead time, Portland could quite easily start their first MLS season in a permanent home in a team-run SSS.

13. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If St. Louis joins the league, I don't think they'd want to split St. Louis and KC into different conferences if they are planning to keep a conference/unbalanced schedule format (which I believe they will retain despite the desire by many here for a single table/balanced schedule).

14. JuanCasa

JuanCasa Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Oakland
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without going into detail to those who haven't been to Portland - it would be a perfect city to expand into. They have public transit that roles right by PGE park (which is not a bad venue if they can get a better pitch), a great downtown, headquarters for both Nike and Adidas, and is a great youth soccer city.
    I imagine that MLS might want to get the NW region out of the way in terms of expansion. 2 and done. The rivalries can grow together and the West Coast would be done as far as expansion......maybe San diego in the distant future?

15. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Vancouver doesn't have a stadium, unless you consider Swangard to be an appropriate MLS venue. I sure as hell don't. Ownership wants to build a beauty of a facility on the waterfront, but they are running into all kinds of roadblocks on that one.

16. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Except for the whole, silly, negotiating with the MLS, putting up the expansion fee, etc. business. PDX is well behind all locations in terms of actually dealing with the business end of the MLS. Stadium? Needs some work. Also, there's the pesky fact that PGE is actually owned by the city of PDX, and operated by the Paulson group (Shortstop, LLC).

17. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they also start with a very sophisticated (in the ways of soccer fandom) and rabid supporters group, the Timbers Army.

[​IMG]

18. Naranja Fanatic

Naranja Fanatic New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Houston
    The problem with PGE is the Beavers playing baseball and then when they are done PSU plays football there. I guess the Timbers make it work. I'd bet Portland's support of a team would be similar to Toronto. It would be perfect if those other two teams didn't use that stadium.

19. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you are privy to information that is not available to the public, we have no idea where Portland stands in in terms of the "actually dealing with the business end of the MLS" part of things. Perhaps those concerns have been addressed and worked out. Or perhaps that is what they are doing at this meeting. I mean, Garber is, after all, meeting with Paulson himself, right?

Paulson owns the Beavers too and the rumour is that he wants to build a baseball stadium elsewhere for the Beavers while keeping the Timbers in PGE Park. I would presume that PSU would continue to use PGE as a football stadium, however.

20. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It must be true, because you just said it.

That is interesting, because there is one Canadian team, and there has yet to be one officially announced team in the Pacific NW. Although like I said above; it must be true, because you said it

You should be a consultant, because you clearly know all the answers and best strategy

it must be hard work to sound like a pompous, insufferable know-it-all. Nice job.

21. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If each team plays all others home and away, then it won't matter which conference K.C. is in. Home and away will be the format by the time St. Louis is in the league...what else makes sense???

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
  23. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless that isn't the scheduling format. Lots of people on here seem to think that a simply home/away for every team schedule is in the works in the future and will remain that way forever for MLS, I'm extremely skeptical that this would be the case. I think long term MLS plans to expand way past the 16 or 18 teams that would make such a schedule reasonable. Instead, I suspect that they will retain conferences and an unbalanced schedule where teasm play conferences members more often than teams from the other conference.

We'll see. But I do think that in any conference format -- if it is retained -- that KC and St. Louis will be kept together unless it is otherwise impossible to do so.

24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Perhaps more informed Timber's fans could chime in here, but, isn't having the Beavers in the stadium the big problem for Portland MLS? I know the Timbers make it work in USL-1, but, don't they need to find a new home for the Beavers before they pump $20 million into it to make it a nice SSS?

25. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland already has a team. Can St. Louis or Philly say that. And PGE Stadium is built. In fact, there in a WNT game there tonight. Where's yours?