MLS Season 10 Poll: Top Ref

Discussion in 'Referee' started by shinpan, Jul 12, 2005.

1. shinpan

shinpan New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    From MLSnet:

With the league's 10th season celebration underway, we want you, the fans, to settle a few debates about the best people, places and things in MLS history. You've already helped us determine the best goalkeeper, mascot, venue, fans, defender, MVP season, coach, international player and No. 1 draft pick. This week, vote for the best referee in MLS history.

10th Season Poll: Who is the best referee in MLS history?
    Brian Hall
    Kevin Terry
    Paul Tamberino
    Esse Baharmast
    Abbey Okulaja
    Kevin Stott
    Michael Kennedy
    Noel Kenny
    Ricardo Valenzuela
    Alex Prus

I'm voting for Brian Hall - but then again I've never had the benefit of watching some of the earlier refs -- Tamberino, Baharmast & Kenny -- in action. I also like Prus, but he hasn't had many of the big games like Hall.

Who are you voting for?

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? No Rich Grady option?

Baharmast, Hall, Stott and Tamberino have to be considered the top 4, with then it all coming down to what style you prefer personally. Personally, I'd vote for Stott based on history, but I'd have to give the nod this year to Hall.

I think Baharmast would have been the clear winner, had his career lasted longer, but as it stands, I'm guessing Tamberino or Hall will win--and the notion of Hall winning a poll like this two years ago is so laughable, that the poll itself demonstrates how fickle people can be over officiating and how much perception and reputation can matter. One solid performance by Stott or Vaughn at a future World Cup and their reputations will skyrocket.

3. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has to be Tamberino.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how many have voted so far, but right now it's Hall in a landslide. Like I said, imagine that being the case two-three years ago.

5. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Well, Okulaja and Kenny are out because they fail the "Oh ********" test. As in:

Who's reffing the game tonight?

Noel Kenny.

Oh, ********!

6. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    I'm surprised Terry Vaughn is not an option.

And do the fans really pay that close attention to recognize the referees by name? I watch basketball all of the time and couldn't name but maybe one or two officials. Regardless, Brian Hall is my choice (big surprise).

7. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    That's actually a very good question....I would have thought Vaughn would be listed.

8. MidwestRef

MidwestRef New Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Iowa
    Ask the DC United fans. They seem to know every which way the referees seem to have screwed them in prior games. :)

I'm also surprised Vaughn is not an option. He's been a referee for all 10 years if I'm not mistaken and has officiated at least two MLS Cup semifinal games.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vaughn was still working as an AR through 2000. And even after that, it took a few years until he was getting a large swathe of matches annually in the middle. Until its demise, he was splitting time still with WUSA.

Judging by the list, it looks as though those nominated are either the ones with the most matches, or ones that have nominated or won the referee of the year award (hence Okulaja's inclusion). If this were a top 10 list, I'd be Vaughn and Tim Weyland would be included, but neither can be seen (or, in Vaughn's case, yet be seen) as the best ever.

And I do think common soccer fans pay relatively (compared to other sports) close attention to particular officials. Ice hockey referees (Kerry Fraser is as known to NHL fans as Collina is to international soccer fans) and possibly baseball umpires (when serving behind home plate) are the only two types of officials that I think share anything close to the same scrutiny as soccer referees.

10. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Hey, shouldn't there have been an [R] in the title?

11. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    We keep tabs on all those guys. Now if we could only get home addresses. :D

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the questionable "exchange referees" from a few years ago? Tops! The random Scottish guys running the center (maybe it has been five or six years already?) were an interesting experience.

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was during the '99 season. Scottish FIFA Stuart Dougal issued 9 yellows and three reds in a match between Chicago and DC.