MLS scheduling change from 08

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by morry, Jan 19, 2009.

1. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So from Goff's story on the ESPN Game of the Week-

"After two years of anemic ratings that started low and finished lower, ESPN executives decided to cancel the league's regular Thursday night telecast on ESPN2 this season. In its place, ESPN2 will carry an MLS game of the week, which will air on four different nights during the season. The weekly matches will occur on Thursdays (10 times), Saturdays (eight times), Wednesdays (six times) and Fridays (three times)."

It would appear that we will be playing football from Wednesday-Sunday and I believe the contract for Sunday games is still live. I personally don't like it and really wish the league could establish some gamedays so we as fans could properly support our clubs.

2. KC Wizzle

KC Wizzle Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear ya, but even the EPL plays Saturday - Wednesday. I do think TV coverage, ESPN publicity in particular, is a key element to the growth of MLS so I'll take their influence on scheduling over a lack of nationally televised games any day.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't matter for us that much, we'll get our token 1 ESPN game a year.:rolleyes:

4. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Beat me to it.

The change is OK with me. Thursday nights can be busy in my world so it's a change I'm open to.

One thing that may help ratings is goals. Instead of showing teams that play shut down 9 in the box road styles (like DC in past years) 9 times, show teams that play more openly most nights. KC has been that - albeit at times not at a high level - for quite some time. KC remains one of the smaller MLS TV markets so that's why.

Unfortunately it leads to things like KC players not having the out-of-league noteriety and one would have to think Preki would be in the Hall if he played on either coast, etc.

As a KC fan, I'm not OK with just 1 National game a year, but at least it allows more MLS games to be televised (sans PPV package & HDnet) in KC as MS picks up most of the rest.

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care which channel they put KC on as long as it's not HDNet. I get the Direct Kick package and those are the only ones I can't see.

6. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bad part is that it is moving from ESPN to ESPN 2.

7. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you think that is bad? Don't most cable companies and packages at this point carry both. I've had Digital cable or satellite for the past 6 or 7 years so I don't know if lower tier cable packages carry both espn's or not. I always assumed that they did.

8. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, most everyone who has ESPN also has ESPN2. But usually moving from ESPN to ESPN2 is a sign of reduced support. Not just from viewers, but also the people in charge over at ESPN.

This is exactly what ESPN did with the NHL - moving from ESPN to a mix of ESPN & ESPN2 and finally to only ESPN2. Now they don't even show NHL hockey anymore.

I just didn't want the MLS to only be on the billiards/poker channel.

9. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I gotcha. I guess I don't think of espn2 in that way so it didn't even enter into my mind.

10. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wait until ESPN moves MLS to The Ocho!

11. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually love the HD Net broadcasts.

12. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to love them this year because I'm pretty sure I'll be getting that channel with AT&T.

13. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am really surprised more people aren't upset about these changes but since I am stranded out here in Denver I guess I won't be making many games to complain.

14. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    I have it on my U-verse. I'm going to miss direct kick..but thats the only thing I'm missing and the goodies I get in addition are the bomb.

15. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've paid for mlslive tv or whatever it's called online every year for the past however many it's been around anyway so for me I'm gaining hdnet without losing direct kick. This is off topic but I'm amazed that every time I bring up u-verse I get comments from at least one person within ear shot that has it and loves it and tells me how much they love it. I haven't heard a bad thing about it yet.

16. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm getting the U-300 package with the sports package on the 29th. I'mreally looking forward to it.

17. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm not really mad, because it makes sense. Thursday night obviously wasn't working like ESPN or MLS wanted. They need to try something new, and honestly, the matchups on Thursday were rarely compelling enough for me to tune in unless I didn't have much else to do.

The only "destination" games I remember really looking forward to over the past 2 years were a couple of Beckhams early games, LA-Chivas, and then the last few games of 08 that were important. The playoff game in NE with 5,000 people might have been the straw that broke Thursday's back. If they can get more flexibility to show the best games and crowds, that will be a good thing for the league, even if the ratings don't go anywhere.

I know they tried Saturday nights before, and that's going to be tough to increase ratings with so many MLS viewers at the stadium, but it should make for a better TV product. I'd rather have MLS getting in where they can fit in, instead of being seen as a major drag on one of the most competitive TV nights out there.

18. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    A little birdie told me the CAB will get its ESPN debut early in the season on a thursday night.

19. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that as well. That is why game times are at 7:30 now.

20. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought there wre two reasons: to keep the bermies from going blind by the sun and so that Kevin wouldn't ruin his 'do by having to wear a hat......

:)

This is exciting. Can't wait to see JP and John sitting in that little temp booth calling the action. :D