MLS schedule question.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pbsharp, Apr 15, 2005.

1. pbsharp

pbsharp Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Troy, MI
    What is the thinking behind having two teams take a weekend off (last week with Metros and KC, this week with LAG and Revs) so early in the season?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have all of the teams playing during these times when there isn't any demand for National Team players? I mean aren't there going to be issues later with players missing because of the Gold Cup or World Cup Qualifying?

I guess I just don't see the logic with this decision.

Paul.

2. kjo199

kjo199 Member

Mar 29, 2005
    NYC

Yeah the bye weeks don't seem to make sense for those reasons that you just said, but perhaps the stadium just wasn't available at a certain time for a certain reason, like a concert or something. That's the only possible reason i can think of.

3. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I think there might have been some thinking last weekend that KC would be in the CONCACAF Champions Cup semis like DC and play 2 wednesday games so they needed a rest. The schedule was set way back when the oponents and results of the CCC wasn't known. For DC they probably HAD to take the home date on Saturday cause baseball will only give them certain dates. Just a guess I've made. So KC & another eastern team had to sit.

This weekend Chivas had HDC. Maybe they were afraid of the weather in NE? I guess some bye weeks are put for everyone from time to time. Doesn't seem wise when things when teams have to share with NFL in the fall and the heat is brutal in the summer, who knows.

4. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    My thought was that they put open dates in at the beginning of the season because of uncertainty about the weather in certain cities. For instance, last weekend portions of the Denver area got as much as 22" of snow. Luckily the storm developed after the game but there have been opening games postponed before.