MLS "Rules" Question re: Mathis

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Serie Zed, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Leaving aside for a minute that Clint "Dumb Redneck" Mathis is a Metrostar and therefore above whatever "rules" MLS might have in place today...

If the ref had given the straight red card he deserved for forearming Convey in the back of the head, would the punishment have been worse than it will be for two yellows?

2. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    irrelevant, since that foul didn't warrant a straight red.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paranoia, the detroya

Doesn't matter. The caution points for the second yellow basically don't exist. It's the same, dscipline-wise, as a straight red.

What I'm more concerned about is any punishment for squirting water at a DC team official when he was afraid to face the supporters by the tunnel to his own locker room.

4. jkorzen

jkorzen New Member

Jun 25, 2001
    washington, dc
    I'd love to know how you figure that didn't warrant a red. That was a pretty vicious and obviously intentional foul.

I generally like Mathis, but what a classless act that was.

5. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Monster my initial comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek here (however accurate it might be in terms of player personnel shenanigans).

And thanks for the answer.

I'd also like to know how essentially punching someone in the back of the head/neck isn't a straight red? Even the motion (without contact) can get you jacked most of the time.

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No biggie. I figured, that's why I quoth Mr. Davies. :p

i.e. Metros-Revs USOC game.

7. NewRevsFan

NewRevsFan New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Probably the same reason that Eddie Pope's jumping in then elbow to the head right before Galinov's foul that caused the game tying freekick didn't get called at all.
    Because ref's are horribly inconsistent/human I guess.

8. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    A different, related question:

Clint's first yellow of the game put him over the limit for caution-point accumulation, meaning even if he hadn't gotten the red he would have missed the Mutts next league game. Does he now have to sit their next two (i.e. one for the red card and one for the caution-point accumulation), or did he get a "free" red card?

Cherno

9. entropy

entropy Member

Aug 31, 2000
    District of Calamity
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we had a similar (identical?) situation w/ Reyes last year, where he in fact had to sit out 2 games.

10. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    The TV guys were saying that mathis had four caution points deducted before the game because he had gone three straight games without a yellow. If so then his first yellow yesterday didn't put him over the limit.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Has this been the case all season? I know I've consulted that page before and I never noticed this clause.

12. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Meanwhile, Bob Bradley reads this rule and the lightbulb goes off in his head.

"If the player in question happens to be on the bench, and I have an extra substitution (or my keeper sub) available, I'll just substitute him in during the 89th minute so that he gets credited for playing in a game without getting any cautions."

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it's a new rule this season. I remember one league e-mail that celebrated the fact that someone actually got point deducted. It doesn't happen often.

14. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    Intent to injure a player.....straight red.

15. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Yes, Marco, Chino, and possibly Galin have had caution points removed this year.