MLS Premier League, MLS League One...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Paulo PT, Dec 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Ok, but that is the present situation, let's think in 4 years from now...

Why US and Mexican Clubs lose Money when playing against each other? Because they have to play against all other clubs... Also with 3 clubs you don't have all the clubs in Champions League playing in the same week.

This makes a huge difference... Because if you have 4 clubs inside the same group you have 2 games each week.

This peak fan interest in that week because involve all 4 teams. two playing in tuesday then the other two in wednesday, wednesday fans will see (some) tuesday games, and tuesday club fan will watch wednesday games because the result matter to them, etc.

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes no sense at all. Let's put it in terms you'd understand: that's like fans refusing to go to a game between Sporting CP and Porto because the two teams also have to play all the small teams in the league. Really?

Fans don't show up because it's midweek, that's all.

3. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering a domestic cup is Chicago's only realistic chance at silverware any time soon, I care.

I definitely think we need to solidify our existing competitions before we start adding more shit. But I think there's room for a secondary international tournament provided it's done right.

4. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yes games against "no one cares clubs" fans don't show up in huge numbers, weekend or mid-week. We are talking strange clubs not national clubs.

5. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    It's a very simple idea, just reduce the numbers of teams in CONCACAF Champions League to 16, then a secondary competition with another 16 but in a CUP from each regional bloc (except México could play also in the Central America Cup).

Not the same clubs in the two competitions as happens in recent years with CONCACAGF CL and Super Liga North America, this have no point.

6. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get what you're going for, but it's pretty unnecessary at the moment.

First off, the Champions Leagues possible return to the old format basically takes care of this already. (http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/09/18/concacaf-champions-league-schedule-changes-format). And, hopefully, the rumored schedule change might help things a bit on the MLS side. IF things work out well, a secondary cup competition might be worth it adding.

Paulo PT repped this.
  7. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I agree with this 2 changes.

However one problem continue the huge number clubs from central america, half is to much.

8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? CONCACAF <---- I mean, seriously wtf?

9. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way to solve the whole "pro-rel" BS (and it is complete BS) is to put MORE emphasis on the playoffs and possibly include a group format. Look at the playoffs as promotion. If you're Chicago or Philly you're basically relegated to sitting at home 2 months of the season. If MLS could add financial incentives to getting in the playoffs that pretty much solves all the issues Ted Westerveltenhoosen and his ilk have with the current set up. As it is, playoff teams get more revenue from ticket sales, advertising, parking, concessions, etc.

Give teams that make the playoffs an extra $500k in TAM or something. Boom. Done. Can't wait for November.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rich get richer problem then. Now the following year the teams that were already good now have even more money to separate themselves from the bad tams, which leads to them getting another $500K of TAM the next year, repeat, etc.

11. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they get high draft picks.

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that doesn't make sense. If people aren't showing up to a game with a big opponent, it's not because the other teams in the competition -- the ones that aren't even playing in that game -- are unknown.

13. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can only speak for SoCal but the opposition is not the biggest issue.

Southern California commuter traffic is. It's a nightmare for many to get to Carson for a 7pm kickoff. Depending on where you are, some cannot physically be there for kickoff and some can't get there at all.

I once attended a friendly been Chelsea and Inter at the Rose Bowl, left straight from work in Long Beach directly and was still in the car well over two hours later.

I finally got to my seat about five minutes into the second half.

Bubba1971 repped this.
  14. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why the Galaxy need to focus their marketing dollars in Long Beach and South Bay. Not billboards in Sylmar.

barroldinho repped this.
  15. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could put MLS in the CopaLib, or the qualifying rounds of the UEFA Champions League, and there's little reason to believe it would get anyone who doesn't care about MLS to start caring. MLS clubs play in MLS, the US Open Cup, the CONCACAF Champions League, and the Canadian Championships. Two of those competitions aren't on TV, and the remaining one that isn't MLS is on TV because Mexican soccer is really popular in this country. No one cares about the Cups we have; why make more?

And yes, this and SuperLiga are exactly the same thing.

In 2011, we packed 51,000 people into a stadium on a Wednesday to watch the second to worst team in MLS play Manchester United. In the same stadium that saw 7,000 people show up on a Satud
    The people who spend their free time talking about soccer on an outdated Internet Forum is, frankly, not a large enough group to build a soccer competition around

JasonMa repped this.
  16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I admit that the CONCACAF Champions League isn't popular, but games with MLS clubs are on one of the Fox channels. If what I underlined was true, the CONCACAF Champions League would have games with Mexican clubs on TV in Spanish with no games on TV in English. I don't think the popularity of Mexican soccer makes fans of Mexican clubs watch Group Stage games between an MLS club and a Central American or Caribbean club. I don't think CONCACAF is ready for another cup either. As for your first sentence, putting MLS clubs in Copa Libertadores could get fans of those clubs who don't care about the CONCACAF Champions League to care about international club games even if it didn't get the clubs any new fans.

blacksun repped this.
  17. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, so stop making more of them.

How?

But they don't.

CONCACAF minus Central America and the Caribbean would give you a tournament featuring MLS and Liga MX. So you want to eliminate most of the confederation and remake Superliga. Am I reading this correctly?

You're not wrong.

And you base this on what now?

How are they not?

That's why there is no more Superliga.

18. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    That's why I said this NAFU Champions League is different from Super Liga.

Back then you had a CONCACAF Champions League and then a North America Super Liga where CONCACAF CL participants from NA will play again against each other. That doesn't make sense.

Here I proposed two versions.

One with each block had a independent Champions League: North America, Central America and Caribbean.

Here you only had one North America CL, not like in the past. Very different, no?

Then the winners played a Winners Cup.

The other option, was one Global competition with 16 teams, Half from México and Canada, instead the current format that gives Central America half the berths (12/24).

And a secondary Regional Cup, where teams NOT playing in CONCACAF CL will entry.

19. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't allow teams to compete in both tournaments in 2009 and 2010. So what you're proposing is exactly Superliga.

If we can't get enough interest with two trophies available, let's make it three! That'll work!

20. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Ok, my mistake.

However 2009, 2010 was to soon to have two competitions.

MLS was to small, Canada was under-represented, Champions League was a recente competition etc.

Also with this México teams will not be playing in Libertadores giving more importance and status to CL and one future North America Cup.

Now I believe this model (reducing CONCACAF Champions League to bigger clubs) with a second competition for each one of the 3 CONCACAF regions (Caribbean already has one) could make sense.

I believe one CONCACAF CL with only 8 teams from Central America and Caribbean and 8 teams from North America will be very different, and no mexican teams in libertadores.

Also groups with 4 teams will give more media attention to CL, because all teams will be playing in the same week. THIS IS important.

In my opinion, 2018 is a good year to introduce this model with first part during April-May and second part during September-October.

CL on tuesdays and wednesdays and CUP on thursdays during the same week.

21. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First: Just a few years ago there were 4 teams in each group, and it didn't get any media attention. The media won't pay attention just because there are more games being played on each matchday, there need to be people interested in those games first.

Second: you do realize that the Caribbean Club Championship is played in two weeks, don't you? There's a one-week group stage with each group being hosted at a single location, and then the semifinals and final are played in one location in a period of 3 days. They don't play any more games than that because of MONEY.

Third: why would Mexico agree to this? Mexico only stands to lose money, because Copa Libertadores pays and CONCACAF competitions don't.

22. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    First: A few years ago... I think you want things could change over the years, however they don't change by herself. If you have 4 American Clubs playing games during mid-week in CCL will boost media atention and MLS fan interest.

Each Champions Week could be a big deal in US Soccer with time.

Second: And? With a Caribbean Cup the format could be very similar, 4 groups, 4 host countries, semi-final, final. All one legged games. The winner goes to CONCACAF Champions League (16 clubs or 2 if 32 clubs).

Third: They need to start giving Money, and Mexico exclusivity could be one factor...

Now they could go to Libertadores because CCL only has 4 mexican teams.

With a CONCACAF CL with 16 clubs and a North America Cup with 16 clubs or a CCL with 32 clubs will give 8 (1 single competition), 10 (2 competitions) or 12 (If México wants to participate in Central America Cup) Mexican Clubs.

23. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the hell are you going to convince the powers that be in the Caribbean to enact these changes to CCL? They wouldn't allow this for a second.

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not important right now

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO