MLS Pre-emption thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by IlliniOnFire, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Word of warning for the game tonight (R if you watch College football)

I don't really have that much of a problem if a network switches to a game with a local team on the same channel. What I've got a problem with is the fact that the NFL forces the other network to switch off the game at 4:15 if the local team is still playing, whether or not that game is actually over.

I also have a problem that if you live in an NFL market, the local affiliate of the other network can't put any other game opposite the local team's home game, meaning that people in NFL markets get to watch fewer games on a Sunday than people outside of NFL markets.

Example that happens all the time in D/FW:

The Cowboys are at home on Sunday on Fox, who's only showing one game that Sunday. Meanwhile, CBS is showing the doubleheader that Sunday. Well, not for you if you live in D/FW. You get to watch the Cowboys game on Fox 4 at noon or at 3:15 CT and you get to watch a game on CBS 11 at the other time. And oh yeah, if the Cowboys game is at 3:15 on Fox 4, CBS 11 isn't showing you any NFL football as of that time, no matter if the game they were showing is over or not. Meanwhile, people in Austin or whatever get the Cowboys game on their Fox affiliate AND they get both games of the CBS doubleheader on their local affiliate.

Sure, the NFL can do this and get away with it, but it's still fan-unfriendly and it still blows. Hey, Goddell, if I want to watch the last few minutes of some really good game on CBS before I switch over to the first few minutes of the Cowboys game on Fox, why shouldn't I? Stick to fining and suspending players for their transgressions, not micromanaging my football viewership, you jackass.

It's yet another reason why I prefer college football to the NFL.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I remark on this all the time. When I lived in the woods of southwestern Michigan I was able to watch lots of NFL games. I could pick up Michigan, Indiana, and occasionally Chicago tv stations with my antenna. I would always have a choice of games in the early time slot and often a choice in the late time slot.

Now that I live in the big city of Houston I get crap to watch. Typically, the Texans at noon with no other game on the other channel and then often a Cowboys game at 3:15 with maybe one other game on the other channel. And I usually have no interest in either game.

This Sunday we get the Texans at noon and then at 3:15 either the Cowboys or the Bears. I'll be at the bar.

3. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is WNBA game before the MLS game tonight. Beware.

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Clearly, they knew Beckham would be involved in tonight's broadcast, so I'm gonna say...quadruple overtime, plus Detroit wins and has the lengthy championship celebration and post-game.

The broadcast starts in the middle of the second half.

5. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you forgot to add that they can't conduct the post game interviews until the players change in to flannel shirts and comfortable shoes.

6. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, folks, it's 10:22 EDT and the 4th quarter just started and the game is close.

I'll bet the Posh Spice poster on my wall, that we aren't at the HDC at 11 EDT;)

7. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003

Oh good, I was scared they'd have to preempt a game someone was watching.

8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hopefully the WNBA game will be over before US-Sweden.

9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA

I'm guessing from the lack of comments here that the MLS broadcast started on time? (It's on my DVR -- no way I could stay up until 1 a.m. and then wake up four hours later for the women's game.)

I last peeked at the WNBA game around 10:20, and it was safely on its way to a tidy finish, barring overtime.

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Because "ESPN doesn't hate soccer" will almost surely be seen as trolling. :D

11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA

The broadcast of RSL-Toronto on Direct Kick just cut off in the 87th minute.

Direct Kick hates soccer.

12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Only because they showed 87 minutes of those two teams......

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes indeed.

And there were technical difficulties during the Michigan State-Pitt game. And two plays were obscured by the lineups. And the Florida State game wasn't broadcast until almost the second quarter because the Arkansas-Alabama game ran long. And they misspelled West Virginia's mascot name a week ago (Mountineers).

So ESPN hates college football too. :D

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, those 87 minutes were proof they hate us. :p

15. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe the MLS teams should be willing to delay the start for the broadcast. The Arkansas-Alabama game would have been a partial showing if they started on time. They actually waited until the Ohio State game was over to even run onto the field and do the coin toss. It started about 30 minutes late, but 100% broadcast (which, in turn, screwed the FSU fans).

16. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston

They do, to a point, but eventually the show must go on.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Telefutura hates soccer! ;) What was up with never coming back from the weather delay for the last 20 minutes? Was Geronimo THAT important to show?

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fair enough, but since you asked, here's the actual answer to the question:

Andy and I and some others have tried to police the place for years. I don't know why we continue to try when it's obvious that there are more of you than there are of us, but we admittedly have some strange compulsion to point out when people are wrong or when they're being stupid, whiny little bitches.

We decided long ago that being brusque and, basically, jerks was preferable to being stupid, whiny little bitches, as many of you are. It's the same stuff every single time and we're as amazed that you haven't gotten tired of foaming at the mouth every time something runs over into an ESPN MLS broadcast as you are that we continue to come to these threads without guns pointed to our heads to point out how whiny and immature most of you are being.

It's not about being ESPN apologists or media apologists or whatever. It's about realizing how the world actually works. You all might as well bitch that every time you drop your keys, they fall on the floor instead of just hanging there in the air so they're easier for you to recover.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think I've ever advocated that. Brian is even worse than me when it comes to pointing that stuff out, but I don't believe you can realistically lump me into the letters-to-the-editor brigade.

I'm sure it's not just soccer fans. I'm sure all fans hate it.

Because most fans in every sport are stupid and have their own agendas that they want satisfied and don't care about reality.

20. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Wow - That's a really horrible answer.

21. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

and yet it is worth reading again and again. there are some gems in there, like:

"We decided long ago that being brusque and, basically, jerks was preferable"

internet police are awesome.

and more importantly, they're always right.

Homer: So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!"

Lisa: Dad, don't you see you're abusing your power like all vigilantes?
    I mean, if you're the police, who will police the police?

Homer: I dunno. Coast Guard?

22. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And when it becomes obvious that all fans hate it(which makes it bad for business), it happens less often, hence we have not had an NFL Heidi game in 30years.

Perhaps someday, we won't get an MLS "WNBA game".

Because it becomes in the best interest of the network to plan better....

23. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Is that Louisville game over yet?