MLS Playoffs

Discussion in 'Referee' started by nylaw5, Nov 9, 2003.

1. nylaw5

nylaw5 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    West Coast
    So I have seen a few of the games and think that the refs are doin a pretty good job so far?

Any comments?

2. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution; Boston Breakers
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly you missed the Ali Salehi show at Foxboro yesterday. The calls and non-calls left the players confused about what was a foul.

Also, I thought that the signal mechanics were atrocious. Some fouls were "called" without a whistle. I saw more fouls called by the ARs in this game than in most MLS matches. Many cases where the direction of a TI was not indicated. Perhaps the players knew, but as a spectator I depend upon the referee signals.

Maybe a topic for another thread, but I thought that Salehi missed carding Ricardo Clark in the first half for PI. True, Clark was only whistled for two fouls, however there were four or five "advantage" non-calls resulting from Clark's challenges. When I ref, I tally in those unwhistled offenses because adavantage means that I have seen a foul, but choose not to call it because of some perceived edge given to the offended team.

3. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: MLS Playoffs

Were you in The Fort, Nat?

****EDITED Unprofessional and abusive Comment indicating displeasure with refereeing ****

PZ - NOT in this forum.
    **** End of editing by IASocFan

4. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    How about Prus in LA vs SJ Game 2

I thought Prus lost control of the 2nd semifinal game of the LA vs SJ conference semi-finals. That was some of the toughest tackling I've seen in a MLS game. Why Marshall, Mulrooney, and Agoos (for his kick to the groin of Moreno while on the ground) were not tossed out is beyond me?

Yes, I'll admit that was the most exciting MLS soccer game I've seen and yes, I'll watch the replay and tape it this Friday on Fox Sports World.

I fully expected to hear that the MLS was suspending Agoos for X games after reviewing the tape of that game which clearly shows an intentional attempt to injure with the kick to the groin, even though Prus missed the foul.

5. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I thought the ref in the first Revs-Metros game should have tossed DiGiamarino for taking out Cancela. If anyone missed the play, a high ball was headed out of the Rev's box. Cancela was moving upfield, watching the ball come down over his shoulder from behind. Digi was steaming toward the ball from the other direction. Cancela touched the ball ahead of him and moved toward it. Digi didn't slow up or turn towards the ball, but took another step, jumped and turned sideways, and plowed right into Jose.

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere already, but should SJ's second goal have been offside? I only saw it for the first time yesterday. Donovan started the play in an offside position, but the play continued because he didn't receive the initial pass. However, he ended up taking advantage of this original offside position by getting to the ball first after it was subsequently deflected away. This call always confuses me.

7. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. LotharDSM

LotharDSM New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    Re: How about Prus in LA vs SJ Game 2

I just watched a tape of the game and I definitely think the Agoos incident should be addressed, I was caught off-guard by his secondary actions after the initial tackle. Marshall's constant talking to the ref AFTER his yellow and then the Donovan incident really should have seen him off.
    Prus really let the players play their game...

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prus was a fascist compared to the CR in San Jose-Kansas City.

10. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    That CR was Kevin Stott, FIFA ref. I thought his control was actually pretty darn good despite defying modern convention. I scoffed when he didn't show any cards after the first and second scuffles, but after seeing that his talking actually worked I have no problem with the outcome. There were 4 calls I disagreed with, including two missed penalties in favor of SJ (Donovan tugged down from behind awaiting a pass, DeRosario being tripped before he could make his through run), and two "standard" fouls that were missed with one going in favor of the opponent from the retaliation.

I also thought Talley was more than deserving of a caution after his third foul, not to mention his fourth and fifth, with the fifth actually being a tackle against the back of a player's legs worth of a caution itself...

However, in the grand scheme of things the game was very exciting to watch and the outcome accurate (at least, to me it was). I don't think Stott's performance overall was at the level of a FIFA referee; I don't think many of his performances ever are to be quite honest. However, it was not a total abomination. He is certainly a better referee than Prus.

11. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    I think Stott did the right thing not giving any cards in the 90 was right on, I mean that in both scuffles both sides were acting stupid and a card would solve nothing.

Kinda funny seeing that Stott talking to them worked considering he's got a robotic like speech candence yet has a lot of passion in it. And yes I have met Kevin Stott, at the 2003 Far West Regionals where he was the FIFA ref in charge and I was a simple youth referee. Nice guy tho.

12. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought the referees in both conference finals did great jobs and am hoping that some recognition is given to the crews since so many posts complain about the officiating.