MLS playoffs and US Open Cup 2018

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by wantmlsphilly, Dec 14, 2016.

1. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with NASL coming to an end, now is the time to change these two tournaments.

The MLS playoffs would be the easiest as I think right now they have the perfect number of teams. Now I know a lot of you are already shaking your head no, but I'm looking at it thinking towards the future. So no matter how many more teams the league adds, I don't want the number of teams in the playoffs to ever exceed twelve. Figuring that expansion will top out at 28-36 range, 12 is plenty and should eliminate teams with losing records.

Secondly, I would like the playoff format to be one and done. I know that this year's Eastern Conference final was special, but I don't think teams that finish the season with a good record are rewarded. Look at the Western Conference final and ask yourself what benefit did Colorado get for their efforts in the season? They started on the road and lost the game. Granted some will say they should have played better but how is this an advantage for doing better than Seattle during the season? The argument is that they get the deciding game back at home but it's not really an advantage in an aggregate game. They built the team on defence and winning low scoring games at home. This would be an advantage in a one and done game as you're not playing from behind changing your preferred style of play. Also it shortens the length of the playoffs to five weeks & gives the SS winner a huge reward of no road games to the Cup.

Top two teams in each conference get a bye. Supports' Shield winner never leaves home.

Week one: four teams for wildcard weekend
    Week two: reseed teams highest to lowest
    Week three: conference finals
    Week four: bye week
    Week five MLS Cup

For US Open Cup, I like to see the round of thirty-two played in a similar fashion but have the bye week before the final four. I also would like MLS to make it on the bye week for the league when they have the all-star game and move the ASG to Saturday. So on Tuesday play the final four, then all-star game on Saturday & US Open Cup final on Sunday of the same weekend. Kind of a celebration of soccer week.

I think they could sell this tournament much better this way as it loses the momentum and drama as it stops and starts so much. If they received more sponsorship, I would like USSF to reward D4 division teams with prize money for making the tournamentany & for every round they advance after that. Since we don't have pro/rel (don't want it) this would be a way to invest in lower division soccer.