MLS Playoffs 2012: Conference Semifinals PBP [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been there, done that, never again please

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I hope MLS keeps a two leg playoff series but starts using weighted away goals next year.

3. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    FWIW, having that tiebreaker wouldn't have made a difference in who went to the next round this year.

And given how DC, LA, KC and SEA played last night, I don't know if it would have made that big of a difference in how they approached the game. SEA was the only team of those that was perhaps conservative last night, but they also had a relatively comfortable 0-0 series aggregate to work with.

4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Had away goals counted the end of the LA v San Jose game would have been incredibly less dramatic, with San Jose needing to score 3 goals to move on with no chance for extra time.

Same with the Seattle vs RSL game.

So while these wouldn't have changed the outcome, the reality would have been far different.

RapidStorm repped this.
  5. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, but I'd still like weighted away goals. Maybe MLS doesn't do it because it seems so confusing to casual American soccer fans. Then again, as was previously noted in this thread, we also don't know what "rubbish" is. :)

6. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Been there too, and it is way better than a 2-game series.

7. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Away goals is a way to avoid ET and PK. It does not address the HFA problem of a 2-game series.

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was the last time MLS did the three game thing? Did we still have the Shootout? ;)

Anyway, I disagree. I'm not a "Eurosnob" but I like the home and home series with weighted away goals a lot better than a three game series.

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, weighted away goals is a way to encourage road teams to attack rather than sit back and hope for a 0-0 draw.

10. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    However, I do accept a compromise. A 2-leg series, with a first to 4 points format. If no team reaches it, there is a third game.

I still prefer a 3-legged-first-to-5-points series, though.

Ismitje repped this.
  11. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    No. It just twist it. A 0-0 draw goes to the host of the first match.

12. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    But it can also have the opposite affect, home teams are then afraid of conceding so they are more likely to play it safe and conservative at home....

13. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    The problem is not be European. It is League v. Cup. After a 34-game regular season, having a stronger HFA in the playoffs makes more sense.

14. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I thought DC played a conservative game.

15. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And here I thought nobody had even noticed that post

Ismitje repped this.
  16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. No "series" is really perfect, but I personally think that the best option is home and home with weighted goals.

And I honestly can't remember, when did MLS go to two game series? I know they got rid of the Shootout starting in the '00 season, but I don't recall if they used three games playoffs after that date, and I'm too impatient to wait for http://www.mlssoccer.com to respond to look it up.

Jonny Bishop repped this.
  17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree that a three game series gives the higher seed a bigger advantage.

Hmm, might have to rethink my opinion on this.

18. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    2002 was the least year without the 2 game series, so 2003 was the first year.

19. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I still prefer2 games but the highest seed, in case the teams are tied in goals, should go through.. no extra time, no penalty kicks...

20. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could work too

21. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a fan of the away goals rule as well. It obviously encourages away teams to attack and home teams can't really afford to waste home field advantage playing for a 0-0. It provides both teams impetus to attack in both games.

22. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I was so happy when they got rid of the Shootout that I kind of stopped paying attention to other rule changes after that. :)

profiled repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Difference in points between 2010 Rapids and SS winners (LA) - 13 points
    Difference in points between 2012 Houston (lowest seed remaining and one of your 6 "good" Eastern teams) and SS winners (SJ) - 13 points

So explain to me how Houston winning wouldn't be an example of a half-decent team getting hot at the right time but the Rapids were.

Oobers, edwardgr and Ismitje repped this.
  24. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would have preserved D.C.'s advantage even with the location swap. If we must do two legs, which I don't like (it should be a single game), then this makes the most sense to me.

25. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    For what it's worth, I distinctly remember the earlier iteration of the 3 game series, and it was a "first to 5" series, which was the big mistake. It basically forced a game three in almost every instance, and team's knowing this, came out EXTREMELY conservatively in the first game - self fulfilled prophecy, I guess. The series ended up being too long. Unlike baseball and other sports where you can pile the games up in a short amount of time, you need time to recover, so these series would just go on forever.

I think the biggest mistake was not making it a "first to 4" series instead, and if so we may still see that format today. First to 4 at least gives you the ability to do what most teams want to do during a home and home - tie on the road and win at home and you are through (for the mathematically challenged, the first to 5 basically means that a tie on the road and win at home would still force a game 3).

But I also do like the two game series as well, as it ties things up a bit more neatly in a quicker amount of time, IMHO. Thus, I would be willing for the two game series, with overtime and PKs being the tie-breaker after two games.

The only difference between what we have now and this is getting rid of aggregate goals, which I think would favor the higher seed, as a blow-out in the first game on the road would not be the killer that it is now.

yellowbismark repped this.