MLS Playoff Race 2007 [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Gemmell, Aug 29, 2007.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC draw + Rapids win by 3 + Chicago win OR KC draw + Rapids win + Chicago draw leaves KC on the outside

2. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And some more stuff to track in terms of scenarios:

Houston playoff scenarios

Houston both win or draw @ RSL, and win @ Chivas = guaranteed homefield advantage thru the Western Conference Final

++++++++

Chivas playoff scenarios

Chivas win or draw vs. Houston = guaranteed homefield advantage thru the Western Conference Final

or

Chivas loss vs. Houston, but Houston loss @ RSL = guaranteed homefield advantage thru the Western Conference Final

++++++++

RSL Wooden Spoon scenarios

TFC wins @ Colorado, and RSL both loses or draws vs. Houston, and loses or draws @ Colorado = RSL "wins" the wooden spoon

or

TFC draws @ Colorado, and RSL either loses vs. Houston, or loses @ Colorado, and does no better than a tie in the other match = RSL wins the wooden spoon

or

TFC loses @ Colorado, and RSL both loses vs. Houston, and loses @ Colorado = RSL wins the wooden spoon

++++++++

TFC Wooden Spoon scenarios

If TFC fail to accomplish one of the above scenarios = TFC wins the wooden spoon

3. Bayer04fan

Bayer04fan New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA,USA
    I wish they would stop doingall this switching onference stuff, it just feels so minor league.
    Once all eight teams are known, dump the conference labels.
    Make 1 v 8, 2v7, 3v6,4vk
    Name it
    MLS Cup QuarterFinals,
    then
    MLS Cup Semi Final
    then
    MLS Cup Final

Nice and simple and neat but of course this is MLS so we can't have that now can we?

PS
    Did they finally fix or rename the Golden Boot stadnings? Is it a real Golden Boot award(most goals) or if they insist on using goals and assists, why don't they call it something else b/c if this s the case, it is not the Golden Boot award, IMO

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It's been goals only for a several years now, IIRC.

5. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. At some point after 2002 (don't remember which year) they switched from goals and assists to goals only.

6. Chris '66

Chris '66 New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY

7. ChiefTalk

ChiefTalk New Member

Sep 11, 2007

That the Galaxy still have a chance to get in has to hit the credibility of the playoffs pretty hard. 4 division winners would be much better.

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    'Course...

Crado, KC, C'bus, NY and Dallas shanking huge chunks of the season gives the playoffs a blow as well. :rolleyes:

9. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    KC is going to get screwed. I predict bad calls going their way against Dallas, a win for the Gals against NY (who will probably rest players for their playoff game against NE) and I'll throw in yet another dodgy Landy penalty, and a win or a draw for the Gals against Chicago. MLS wants Beckham AND Blanco in the playoffs, and KC will get screwed for the 3rd year in a row.:cool:

10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's a conspiracy!!!

The "league" also wanted LA to win a championship some time b4 2002; how well did that work out for them?

The "league" also wanted NY to be decent... how did that work out for them?

The "league" GAVE KC two games in the early season against an expansion franchise. Even w/ those 6 points, KC hasn't been able to secure their fate. If KC misses out on the playoffs, that's their fault, not the "league's". :rolleyes:

11. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason KC will get screwed for the third year in a row is not winning when they had to....nuff said. All they have had to do is win a game here or there for the past couple of months and haven't been able to do it. Leaving the playoff future on the line for the last game of the season is their own fault. Then again, to put a little blame elsewhere, it would be nice if the schedule makers wouldn't continuously set them adrift on the road for the last couple of games every season....give KC a season finale at home next season for once! Thanks!

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    i wonder if the Wizard's playing in an NFL venue often leads the schedule-maker to (take the easy way out and) send them on the road in Oct.

will this be an issue next year?

well, if Colorado can beat RSL this weekend, that will keep (at least) one of Beckham or Blanco out of the playoffs.

the worst case scenario is if RSL gets a point and KC gets zero points on Saturday. then LA and Chi can play for the (agreed upon) draw to see both teams get into the playoffs (in the proper conference).

Don't know if that is likely to happen, but it certainly wouldn't make for exciting tv on Sunday afternoon.

of course, this all assumes that LA can get 3 points v NY on Thursday (so that should be be some decent TV on Thursday night).

13. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC still has home games in September and October during NFL season (Friday/Saturday nights don't conflict with Sunday afternoon football), so do a couple of other teams. In fact, I would think college football would affect RSL's schedule worse than KC's. We have had regular season finales at home in the past, and we have ALWAYS played at Arrowhead. Don't think this matters, although I think it is well known that the last minute selection of Arrowhead this season really screwed our home schedule (but that is mainly due to the Royals getting all the prime dates at Truman Sports Complex).

I doubt it's an issue next year, but won't know until they announce the temp venue.

14. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Actually, if KC loses and Colorado doesn't win, then Chicago's in automatically.

So LA could just waltz into the playoffs.

LA can still play a completely unmotivated Chicago on Sunday even they w/ a tie against NY. Four points this week gets them into the playoffs if Crado and KC don't win on Saturday.

6 points gets them in the playoff no matter what.

15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    so you think NY (already in) and Chicago (could be in given certain results on Saturday) potentially won't be motivated to take points off of LA and keep the Galaxy out of the playoffs?

I don't think there will be any waltzing on the part of LA this week. in fact, I see their next two games as being more difficult than their previous five.

(I have confidence that LA can get the 6 -- or 4 -- points needed to get themselves into the playoffs, but I'm guessing both NY and Chicago will make it very difficult for them. I also think that either KC or Colorado will do enough on Saturday to put Chicago in a position where they need at least a point on Sunday, further complicating the Galaxy's task by motivating the Fire and making a draw unhelpful to LA on Sunday.)

16. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I bet ESPN is frothing at the mouth about Sunday, especially if Becks plays any minutes. They are going to miss out on a possible Blanco vs. Beckham matchup for the last playoff spot. :D

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... Late Update for Monday's Game ...

Code:
    [b]
    [U]         GP  W   L   D   PTS  GR  MPP  PPG   T#  M#  SSE#[/U]
    1   DCU  29  16  6   7   55   1   58   1.9   -   -   4
    2   CDC  29  15  7   7   52   1   55   1.79  -   -   1*
    3   HOU  29  15  8   6   51   1   54   1.76  -   -   -
    4   NER  29  14  8   7   49   1   52   1.69  -   -   -
    5   FCD  29  13  11  5   44   1   47   1.52  -   -   -
    6   NYR  29  12  11  6   42   1   45   1.45  -   -   -
    7   CHI  29  9   10  10  37   1   40   1.28  -   3   -
    8   KCW  29  10  12  7   37   1   40   1.28  -   3   -
    -------------------------------------------------------
    9   COL  29  9   12  8   35   1   38   1.21  2   5   -
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]10  CMB  29  8   11  10  34   1   37   1.17  1^  6   -[/COLOR]
    11  LAG  28  9   13  6   33   2   39   1.18  3   7   -
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]12  TFC  29  6   17  6   24   1   27   0.83  -   -   -
    13  RSL  29  5   15  9   24   1   27   0.83  -   -   -[/COLOR]

* DC United clinches the SS. At best Chivas can tie 
      DC United's current 55 points, but DC United owns 
      the head-to-head tiebreaker.

^ Columbus has been [URL="https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12979243&postcount=134"]eliminated[/URL].

Teams in [COLOR="SlateGray"]gray[/COLOR] have been eliminated from the playoffs.

MPP = Most Points Potential = PTS + (3*GR)
      T# = Tragic Number = MPP – (8th Place PTS) + 1
      M# = Magic Number = (Highest 9th to 13th Place MPP) – PTS + 1
      SSE# = SS Elimination Number = MPP - (1st Place PTS) + 1 [/b]
    Code:
    [B]Remaining League Schedule

CDC: HOU
    CHI: LAG
    CMB: [USER=3840]DCU[/USER]
    COL: RSL
    DCU: CMB
    FCD: KCW
    HOU: @CDC
    KCW: @FCD
    LAG: NYR, @CHI
    NER: @TFC
    NYR: @LAG
    RSL: @COL
    TFC: NER
    [/B]

18. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't either, really. But we've already heard rumors that Arena is going to rest starters on Thursday, and if Chicago gets 4th place in the east, they'll be going up against DC on 3 days rest.

I actually don't.

If both Chicago AND the Galaxy have to win that last game, THEN it'll be a nail-biter.

19. Port 13

Port 13 Member

Jan 21, 2007
    just moved to NC
    If this game comes down to the last playoff spot, this could arguably be the biggest regular season game in MLS history. Too bad it’s stuck on telefutura, where only the die-hards will see it (and won't get the promotion it deserves from BSPN).

Oh, and anyone notice that the BS postings about playoff scenarios are more accurate than this article, published by MLS, which says that the galaxy still need help the get in.

20. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, if LA ties NY on Thursday, they do need some help. Of course, if LA loses either game, they will only need help packing. :p

21. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP....sorry, wrong forum but jeeze, everyone's thinkin it! :p:D:rolleyes:

Can't wait till Thursday

22. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ... as they conveniently overlook all the other crap that went against the Galaxy (schedule anyone???) that was "looked over". I guess they're all too consumed by counting the money they earned off of the shit schedule. :rolleyes:

23. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad you understand :D

24. Port 13

Port 13 Member

Jan 21, 2007
    just moved to NC
    if the galaxy win out, they are in. the mls article does not note this. it says if they win or tie, then they need help. not a minor detail

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS article makes about 6 different mistakes (see the Tie-breakers thread for a dissection) including setting up a scenario where, buy the article, 3 teams all qualify for the last two spots.