MLS Playoff Dates and Times

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Autogolazo, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I'm trying to schedule everything for those two weekends ahead of time so I don't miss any games. Can't wait for this wknd's results.

Here's what I think we know so far. Please correct and/or add to this:

SJ at LA on Nov. 1st, 10PM EST, FSW
    CHI at DC/CREW on Nov. 1st, 730PM EST FSW

If Metros beat NE, then...
    Metros at NE on Nov. 2nd, 4PM EST

If NE beats/ties Metros, then...
    NE at Metros on Nov. 1st, 5PM EST

If KC finishes ahead of Colorado, then...
    KC at Colorado on Nov. 1st, but when??????

If Colorado finishes ahead of KC, then....
    Colorado at KC on ????, and ??????

Thanks.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If DC makes the playoffs, they will face the Fire at DC on November 1st at 7.30 PM Eastern Time

The Fire home game for the first round will be on November 9th, at 12PM Central Time

Should the Fire win that series, then the next round game would be on November 14th in Chicago.

3. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice start on the playoff schedule. Two matches on 11/1 on FSW - 4:30 and then 7:00 PST. I would love to see some of the FSW guys live at the HDC rather than in the studio (not holding breath). In any event, It does look like a solid 5+ hours of MLS coverage on FSW for 11/1.

I do think that this year's playoff run will be more successful for MLS. No more midweek matches, and a much simpler format - Outscore your opponent over two matches. I hope this simplicity + less matches + all weekend dates = Higher attendance.

Also, w/ FSW televising a more playoff matches than ever, I think this year's playoffs will have much more needed "buzz."

4. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The KC and Colorado teams share facilities with the football teams.

The Broncos have a home game on Monday Nov.3 while the Chiefs have a bye week. Shouldn't be a problem with either for a Saturday night home game for either team.

The Chiefs have a home game on Sunday Nov. 9 at 1:00 while the Broncos have a bye week. Might be problem for the Wizards with a Saturday night game and setup for Football in 15 hours.

Hope the Wizards get to deal with this problem. Denver has a home game on Nov. 16, so KC and LA need to win their conference semifinals. :)

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Football Conflicts - Eastern Division

The Bears are away or off for the first two playoff dates, but have a home game on Nov. 16.

New England is also away or off for the first two playoff dates, and have a home game on Nov. 16.

The Giants and Jets have home games on the first two playoff dates. They are both away on the third date.

Columbus and DC don't share NFL stadiums.

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Does anyone know if the yahoo platinum service will have any playoff games?

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will carry any playoff games that are carried by DirectTV or DISH on their versions of the Shootout.

However, I think most of the playoff games are going to be carried by FSW already.

8. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    If the Fire advance, the Eastern Conference Final will be Friday 14 November at 7:30p CT.

Oops. Nevermind. See that it's already been posted.

9. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Football Conflicts - Eastern Division

The Redskins don't play at RFK?

10. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Football Conflicts - Eastern Division

not anymore i believe

11. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose vs. Los Angeles
    Leg 1: at LA 11/1, 7:00pm.
    Leg 2: at SJ 11/9, 6:00pm.

Colorado vs. Kansas City
    Leg 1: at KC 11/1, 5:00pm or at COL 10/31, 6:30pm
    Leg 2: at COL 11/8, 6:00pm or at KC 11/8, 5:00pm.

Chicago vs. DC United or Columbus
    Leg 1: at DC or CLB 11/1, 4:30pm.
    Leg 2: at CHI 11/9, 10:00am.

New England vs. MetroStars
    Leg 1: at MET 11/1, 2:00pm or at NE 11/2, 1:00pm.
    Leg 2: at NE 11/9, 1:00pm or at MET 11/8, 2:00pm.

For the conference finals I only have information for games at San Jose (11/15, 7:00pm), Chicago (11/14, 5:30pm), or New England (11/15, 1:00pm).

MetroStars can use the Meadowlands on 11/15 as both NY Jets and Giants are away the 16th (as previously noted).

Denver Broncos are home 11/16. As has been the case for most Colorado Rapids games when there is a conflict, my guess is that the Western final would be played Friday 11/14 at 6:30 pm - if Rapids host the game.

Kansas City has no conflict with KC Chiefs, so the game could (should) be played on 11/15 at 5:00pm.

Los Angeles and DC United or Columbus can't host the conference final even if they get past San Jose and Chicago.

All times pacific.

12. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Fixed, to local times that don't look strange to most of the country.

13. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Football Conflicts - Eastern Division

Not in years.

They've been playing at their new stadium, FedEx Field since 1997.

14. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that anybody much goes to MLS playoff games anyway (seems to be why they've decided to have less of 'em), but that means the playoff game will take place at the same time as the home opener of the NBA's Washington Wizards (7:00 p.m. vs. New Jersey Nets). The post-MJ Wizards won't be much of a draw generally, but a head-on matchup against the NBA home opener won't help playoff attendance (or media coverage).

15. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There is no FSW in England =(

16. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most part, FSW has been carrying games based on regional video feeds.

The regional video, along with the regional audio, is usually on the shootout.

So, if things continue per the established pattern, most of these games will be available on the shootout and Y!Plat.

17. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Thanks to all of you--it's incredible that these games are next week, that they're the most important dates so far on the MLS calendar, and still the dates and times (even the contingent ones) weren't fixed.

Why is it so hard for a team to get out and publicize, "either it's Nov 1st at X time, or Nov 8 at X time"--that should've at least been done in each market at precisely the time the team makes the playoffs.

And nothing so far on mlsnet.com, even about the dates and times that are fixed. Why not?

Some of these teams (Chicago and SJ) have known for a long time exactly when they'll be playing at home--have they fully taken advantage of it in terms of marketing? Why has this information been so difficult to find?

Is Colorado really playing at home on Halloween night if it finishes third? I've heard that's still up in the air, but if true, then Invesco will be eerily, creepily silent.

This has been, traditionally, and continues to be, the most frustrating time of the MLS season for a fan. The SECOND that a team makes the playoffs, its two contingent dates should be fixed and at least some sort of marketing should begin. The tickets can just say "Playoff game #1" on them, if nothing else.

I'm happier with the new playoff format, but the dissemination of information in this league continues to be a huge problem.

18. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    That's fantastic for you guys in the states.

Unfortunately, despite the name "Fox Sports World", they don't actually broadcast to the entire world. Punks.

So Yahoo Platinum is key...

(sorry-- didn't see the response above)

19. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago did announce the date and time of their home game in the first round within a day or two of clinching the eastern conference championship and the tickets went on sale at TicketMaster right away.

20. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am also baffled. Keep in mind that MLS switched the playoff format this year to make it much easier to disseminate playoff match info to the fans. An opportunity wasted.

I'm sure that MLSNet will have a nice playoff section soon enough - but as always its too late. This year couldn't be easier to publish some playoff info - even tentative dates. We've all known the basic matchups for most squads for weeks now - Chicago and San Jose will be home for match 2 of the Conf. Semis and will host the Conf. final, etc.

21. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Now there's something on the Rapids boards about a date of Tuesday November 4th....contradicting everything that's been said before.

No one could've done just the slightest bit of planning ahead of time?

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, i had already noted that as i was thinking about going to the home opener, but I'm not really worried about it. the Wizards will not be a big draw early in the year because they have stunk for quite a while, and MJ is now gone. on top of that, no truly high profile player was added to the roster (Gilbert Arenas is not a household name to the average fan) and their biggest name (Stackhouse) is out injured. I don't think that too many DCU fans will be lost to that game.

23. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago v. DC United
    1st Leg: Sat Nov. 1st 7:30pm EST (DC) FSW
    2nd Leg: Sun Nov. 9th 1:00pm EST (Chi) ESPN2

New England v. MetroStars
    1st Leg: Sat Nov. 1st 5:00pm EST (Met) FSW
    2nd Leg: Sun Nov. 9th 4:00pm EST (NE)

San Jose v. Los Angeles
    1st Leg: Sat Nov. 1st 10:00pm EST (LA) FSW
    2nd Leg: Sun Nov. 9th 9:00pm EST (SJ)

Kansas City v. Colorado
    1st Leg: Tues Nov. 4th 7:00pm MT (Col)
    2nd Leg: Sat Nov. 8th 8:00pm CT (KC) FSW

That is mostly all official, FSW broadcasts not for sure...

24. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Looks good, except for the times of the KC-Colo series.

According to the KC website the 1st leg is @ 7:30 local time (MT) in Denver and the return is at 7:00 local time (CT) in KC.

Unfortunately the Colo website sucks pretty bad and they don't have a clue (they are still posting that their next match is Saturday, 18 Oct with the Fire).

25. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the times for that series from MLSnet...

who knows what to believe though, I'm pretty sure by monday they'll have all the times out for everyone...