"MLS Phoenix Rising"

Discussion in 'Phoenix' started by gilmoreaz, Mar 8, 2007.

1. XeneizeAZ

XeneizeAZ New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Arizona
    Dale Dale Dale Phoeeeeeeee
    Dale Dale Dale Phoeeeeeeeee
    Dale Phoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Dale Dale Dale Phoeeeeeeee
    Daleeeeeeeee
    Dale Phoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

If MLS does not give us a team, I am going to stop watching MLS on ESPN HD hahahaha

2. geoCAD

geoCAD New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Arizona
    I would imagine the support group could easily jump to 1K-2K if a little effort went in to recruit the local Latino/a community. Any Spanish speakers in the group? As a suggestion, maybe a PR member(s) could go to one or two of the MANY local Mexican leagues in the valley. If we got a few of those guys the Phoenix Rising group could take off like a bat out of hell. I would go recruit but I live in Flagstaff now. Sorry.

Also, what's the latest info on the T-shirt? Approximate/exact cost? Where can I get/order one? Any plans for kids sizes? If you don't have a local print shop, I used one in Tempe for our geology club (ASU) years ago. Why stop with shirts? Why not add bumper stickers, coffee mugs (use at work to show everyone around you), and hats to the mix?

3. Roundball

Roundball What?

Jan 20, 2006
    Glendale, AZ
    Decal for my back window?

4. XeneizeAZ

XeneizeAZ New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Arizona
    am I going to get a new plate?

[​IMG]

hahahaha I hope not!!

..:: Xeneize ::..

5. JDevellish

JDevellish New Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona

Yes! I like it for a fundraiser idea.

Plus I think my car will look cool with both the Phoenix & Sparky:cool:

6. Roundball

Roundball What?

Jan 20, 2006
    Glendale, AZ
    Yeah I have the good 'ol Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on one side and would like Victors design on the other.

7. asmadrig

asmadrig New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here's something I've been wondering...
    Does anyone know if watching games on TV help our cause at all? I mean, when looking at how many soccer fans there are in a certain place, Is the mls looking at ratings that soccer games get in certain cities? (i watch an uncountable amount of games on Telefutura, Univision, Galavision, GolTV, and Fox Sports en Espanol.

8. Neutral Fan

Neutral Fan New Member

Dec 27, 2000
    Yes, It all helps. When I canceled my Cox cable they asked why. I told them because they did not carry GolTV. Remember all rivers are made of raindrops.

Aaron

9. Warwick the Warlock

Real Madrid
    Jun 12, 2006
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    FYI, GolTV is now carried on COX. You have to pay 5 bucks more a month, but you get GolTV, ESPN Deportes, and Fox Sports en Espanol (along with 20 or so other Spanish language stations). All three of those channels carry soccer, and if you signup for FSC, as well, you will pretty much find a game is always on.

I was with you, though. I was real close to canceling COX and going another way. Then I found out that they added GolTV, and I am a happy-camper.

10. SWSoccer

SWSoccer Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fellow MLSPR fans ....

Let your voice be heard at Sideline Views by participating in the 'Where Should MLS Expand' survey.

Discounted tickets still available for the Sep 6 Chivas/DC United road trip.
    All the info you need is on MLSPR's 'Member Events' page.

11. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys

It looks like it's been a while since any announcements have been made, and the rumor mill seems to be suggesting Seattle is the next MLS city.

But while we keep at it to get an MLS team here in the Valley, we can also focus on supporting the USMNT in the process.

Sam's Army is undergoing a transformation and reorganization that will require leaders from regional areas and MLS teams to act as regional representatives in the new Army.

pat fan 1 - https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12891092&postcount=209 is doing the organizing and will be in contact with some of the MLS groups about this new hierarchy.

So my question is, is this something that PR will be getting involved in? And if so, let me know how I can help. I love to travel and I've done plenty of travel arrangements for soccer before.

12. DesertEagle

DesertEagle New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks for the heads up!

MLS Phoenix Rising definitely wants to be involved in any efforts to coordinate support for the U.S. national team. We're in touch with the Sam's Army organizers and will make sure that a Phoenix Brigade is included in the “new” Army. I’ve also noted your interest and experience and will keep you (and other MLSPR members) informed about what is going on and how you can get involved in this effort.

Among other things, it is important that we make sure that the next USMNT match in Phoenix (hopefully a qualifier) will have much better-organized U.S. support. We need to convince the USSF that Phoenix should be a regular venue for important national team matches.

13. rgchivista

rgchivista New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Are we going to get a team in the valley?

14. SWSoccer

SWSoccer Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't see it happening in the next round of MLS expansion(to 16 teams). Better shot will be when league goes to 18 in 2010, 2012 or whenever.
    Competition will come from the usual suspects...
    St. Louis, Philly, Seattle(one of these that doesn't make the next round), expected to be announced around Nov 19, but maybe not until early '08.
    Montreal, Portland OR, Atlanta, Vancouver, Miami, NYC.

15. XeneizeAZ

XeneizeAZ New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Arizona
    Phoenix has a better Soccer market than those other cities.

Canada, that is very stupid of MLS to have teams outside the US. If that is the case lets have a team from Mexico too :D

MLS is an American League, so lets have american teams

St Louis? Philly? Atlanta? Miami? Portland? Vancuver? <-- even worse!

Miami falled already once to keep a team, cubans don't like soccer

Philly they never had even a US soccer game to see the market

Portland, they had issues with their NBA franchise imagen a new soccer team

St Louis, what is that?

For me Arizona is a huge huge soccer market. Don't bring those stats from copa panamericana, that cup was a trash...

Look at the game between mexico vs usa.... and other games played at the Devil Suns stadium....

MLS is not seeing the big picture, its seeing the Dollars! and Dollars created a problem when the league first started ....

Arizona for MLS..........

MLS should move chivas US to Portland....

2 teams in 1 city is really dumb!

16. Roundball

Roundball What?

Jan 20, 2006
    Glendale, AZ

Or here.

17. XeneizeAZ

XeneizeAZ New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Arizona
    :eek: NO Way JOSE! hahahaha.... I am Boca Fan, cannot support Chivvas :D

18. rgchivista

rgchivista New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Go River!!!!!!!

19. rgchivista

rgchivista New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Did you go the the games this summer at University of Phoenix? Were you one of the boca fans I was dumping beer on? LOL!

20. XeneizeAZ

XeneizeAZ New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Arizona
    I went to the games :cool: about the beer not really I was on a nice area with civilized people.

but were you one of those the police arrested ?? =)

Go America! :eek: Go Arsenal :eek:

21. HSV Hooligan

HSV Hooligan New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Shaker Heights, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that both the US-Mexico game and teh Copa Panamerica games were completely different than having an MLS club team. For the US-Mexico, we brought in fans that were hugely aligned with their country - but if you asked what club team they supported, it would be quite divided. As for the Copa Panamerica, the Phoenix-area supporters for the clubs they brought in is very minimal.

The fanbase for an MLS team would have to be either a general fan of soccer and not biased against the MLS - AND would want to support the local MLS team. How many of the Mexican fans that were here in February are going to come out and support a local MLS team (instead of following their Mexican club team they've followed all their life)? How many of the US fans were local and would support a local MLS team - compared to how many came from elsewhere where they may already support the local MLS team there?

I'm not saying that we don't have a good fan base here, but you can't ignore the Copa Panamerica and then point out the US-Mexico match - because they were both geared to a specific (and different) fan base than an MLS team. I am very interested in how many people in Phoenix would actually support a local MLS team. That's why we started the MLS Phoenix Rising - to increase the local fan base to show that these specialty games don't actually represent the MLS fan base in Phoenix.

22. XeneizeAZ

XeneizeAZ New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Arizona
    I am a Boca Fan for Life, but I will support a local team because I have a lil boy that I want to take to the stadium to watch Soccer and he can see what I used to see when I was a lil boy Futbol and Futbol with dad.

So I am Latino and I will support our team when it comes

23. Ldavid

Ldavid New Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd say the USA-Mexico game was probably better to gauge the MLS interest just because of the lack of local interest in the copa games. I still can't belive they thought 35,000 a night would show up with the ticket prices and lack of promotion, but that's a different thread. I think there is no reason we couldn't be on par with Huston for MLS attendance. In the last 7 years since I started following this, Phoenix has made massive progress towards an MLS team.

24. rgchivista

rgchivista New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Nah, wasn't arrested. I was too busy cheering for Cruz Azul, as they beat...oh yeah Boca, and Cruz Azul played like s#%t.

25. XeneizeAZ

XeneizeAZ New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Arizona
    ok pues! Yes C Azul played good.... great games y asi es el futbol no siempre se gana....

hey que paso con el bofo? ya no lo querian las chivas?