News: MLS Perfect in Sponsor Renewals

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by monster, Mar 30, 2009.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While some people might like to wring their hands over games on FIFA dates, the physical location of stadiums, and whether starting the season during March Madness is worth a few thousand viewers, the sponsors don't really seem to care.

2. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    do we have any numbers on the value of these sponsorships?

3. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

4. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Great news.

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I know the biggest league sponsor is adidas, and I think the second biggest is probably Dick's Sporting Goods. But the league has both of those locked up for several years yet.

6. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    absolutely, the business seems to be doing very well, if not exceedingly well, especially in terms of sponsor renewals.

although it is fair to wonder how sponsorships (and total sponsorship revenue) would be affected if certain other things could be tweaked/improved by the league -- things such as "games on FIFA dates, the physical location of stadiums, and whether starting the season during March Madness" and if those things are important issues or not -- and how some of their operational realities/choices may or may not affect their business (sponsorships). maybe it is not a huge concern and obviously we are in some ways just speculating and splitting hairs, but for as great as MLS is doing (with sponsor renewals) I'm sure they're also pushing to improve their league/product and to make it even more attractive for additional sponsor involvement/investment.

but overall, there are several strong indicators that MLS is doing many things right with its business.

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do sponsors know? Anonymous nobodies on teh interweb have assured me that MLS has failed utterly to surpass the NFL in ratings and is therefore a complete failure.

Frankly, these companies need to quit throwing their money away on this fly-by-night league. Everybody knows the MLS is doomed. They can't even keep David Beckham, for crying out loud. And he sucks so bad, he was willing to play in the MLS!

9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More great news on the sponsorship front. MLS obviously is seen as good return for the buck by these companies, a tribute to how DG and others are running this little league of ours. I wonder if he'll be able to bring in some new sponsors in the coming weeks and months as others sponsors take note of those reupping their commitments.

10. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The high up Adidas America folks who came to the Portland announcement an celebration at the Bitter End said they have seen "extraordinary returns" from their investment in MLS and expect to continue that in the "long run." Read into that what you will but I thought it was interesting.

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Doesn't surprise me. I used to look at reports from the Sporting Goods Manufacturers of America detailing the huge, and fast-growing market in soccer equipment that exists here. It's not that a huge number of people are watching--it's that the people who are watching are highly likely to go out and buy gear. I imagine Dick's getting in was evidence of adidas's success.

12. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    very good news. these are all solid names and it's nice to see mls in such company.
    i also like the brand rotation pepsi is doing.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. That lines up pretty well with the anecdotal evidence I (and I would assume most of you who go to MLS games and/or spend time in youth soccer circles) see regularly.

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hierarchyfive
    The high up Adidas America folks who came to the Portland announcement an celebration at the Bitter End said they have seen "extraordinary returns" from their investment in MLS and expect to continue that in the "long run." Read into that what you will but I thought it was interesting. - End

Quote - Doesn't surprise me. I used to look at reports from the Sporting Goods Manufacturers of America detailing the huge, and fast-growing market in soccer equipment that exists here. It's not that a huge number of people are watching--it's that the people who are watching are highly likely to go out and buy gear. I imagine Dick's getting in was evidence of adidas's success. -

End.

---------------------------------------

One of the best pieces of news MLS could ever want to hear. Bump in money next time - right guys.;):D

Basically a foundation piece that ensures the game here, and allows it to keep moving forward.

It's amazng how many good pieces of news this league recieves considering what and where it is.

Always makes the "sky is falling whiners" more fun to read.

Wait, we need a roof or it's not a proper SSS! Football lines, disgusting! We have team sthat underperform. Shamefull! Every club in the world sells out every ticket all of the time and fill their stadiums! We expand only for the fees to keep th eleague alive and sell a lot of tix in those markets because the other ones suck (my personal fav in stupidity of epic proportions:p)!

The list goes on.

I come here always with a full understanding of the crowd/age I am dealing with in general, but it still makes it funny as hell.

How a soccer league can achieve so much, in a very short time (how many years since contraction and folding rumors), in this country, and have a future that looks solid...and to read the infintile stuff we do here is entertainment of the highest order.

To step out of the worries of the real world and decisions, and to come here is a welcome break.

Pretty good job MLS. Pretty damn good job.

Just work on a few things over the next 6 years and you should be looking pretty good come year 20.

Can't wait for the complaints then. Always fun.