MLS Payoff Structure

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by crusio, May 11, 2004.

1. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I love MLS. I watch atleast 3 games a week. I do it cause i like watching ball. With the playoff system is like it is now though; the regualar season is virtually meaningless. Playing 30 games to eliminate only 2 teams is ludicris and definetley affects the game from attendance to intensity and quality. I'll probably still continue to watch lots of regular season games, but how many others outthere dont feel the sense of urgency to go to for whats all intense and purpose, a series exhibition games.. exageration, possibly, but only by a little....

2. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit
    from what i've heard, they aren't adding anymore playoff slots when they expand. garber said that he wants this to be a 20 team league, and with 8 playoff slots, thats a pretty good percentage of teams moving into the post-season

3. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Agreed ... but do we really need all 8 spots now when the league is 10 teams??? There is no home field advantage to play for either. Makes it hard to get juiced up for a regular season thats void of any meaningful games.. Lots of reasons to watch the other leagues around the world, very litte reason to watch MLS till late October

4. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea is that they've been changing the playoff structure almost every year, and Garber wants to stabilize it and keep the same structure for a long time, as the league grows.

It's also been speculated that Lamar Hunt is afraid of his teams not making the playoffs, so he pushed for all or at least nearly all teams to make the playoffs.

5. FCDarkness

FCDarkness New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Steelton, PA
    I've always thought that the playoffs should be just 6 teams, even if the league does expand to twelve next year. Maybe when they go to 14 they can push it back to 8, but I agree that 8 out of 10 is too many. With a six-team format you could give each regular season conference champ a first round bye and homefield for the single-game conference final. The four wild card teams would play a home and home aggregate goal series; that way all playoff teams get one home playoff game. (Unless of course one of the team's in the MLS Cup Final happens to be hosting it like the Revs two years ago)

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the payoff structure was the the MetroStars took as much money as they wanted firts, then everyone else fought over the rest.

Oh, playoff structure.

Never mind.

7. Short Irish Guy

Short Irish Guy New Member

May 1, 2003
    Houston
    Nah, the payoff structure has to do with Fox Sports World licking the grapefruits of the Galaxy... :D

8. needsashower

needsashower New Member

May 2, 2004
    down by the river
    I think 8 is too many teams for now. I think that 6 would be good. Have 2 groups of 3 play a round robin with the conference or division winner playing both matches at home. the #3 team plays both on the road with the 2 group winners meeting in the final.

9. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who the hell does it like that?

The round robin part of the play off's is sometimes call the "regular season".