MLS-owned USL teams

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by EPJr, Apr 30, 2014.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's a welcome change. :)

2. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
  3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That makes sense what Dallas is doing. Affiliating for now and then get their own club in place the right way. The question I have is what becomes of current USLPro clubs from this season and coming in next season who in 2 or 3 years cannot get an MLS affiliate?
    Will the USLPro allow for independent clubs? The message they are sending to Arizona is they need to find an MLS club to affiliate so the Answer would seem to be no.
    Would they need to make a move to the independent NASL, which is a bit more costly. but seemingly have a similar level of play the USLPro clubs will have.
    Would they need to look into taking a step down if they are in the east to the ASL attempting to be a true pro D4 league?

Charlotte comes to mind. If owned and rebranded to QSFC they would seem to be likely not want to be a minor affiliate, so is a move to the NASL in the future as an instate rival to Carolina?

5. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Are there any links about the Arizona thing? I've only heard mandates from the MLS side. While I'm sure USL PRO would love it to have everyone affiliate I haven't heard about it being a rule.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're asking that guy to supply proof of something he writes? He's just throwing shit against a wall. He doesn't even realize that USL and the NASL are two totally separate (still feuding) organizations and they're not going to just move teams around between them. And Charlotte doesn't have to move to the NASL if it doesn't (or doesn't want to, in his mind, which, God knows how he knows this) have an affiliate.

What was stated at the outset was that every MLS team had to have an affiliate or have its own USL Pro team. It did NOT say that every USL Pro team had to be affiliated with an MLS team.

If USL Pro has more teams than MLS, then, obviously, we can all do the math on that.

7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I have not seen anything other than as you said from with Arizona. I was just curious to see if anyone had any info on where this will be headed.
    Allowing USLPRO clubs to be independent as well as affiliated would bring more clubs to create a bigger regional schedule and divisions. The independent clubs I would think would have a certain criteria to meet.
    Depending on how the NASL unfolds the possibility of NASL clubs having a looser agreement with independent USLPRO clubs could also be possible. More NASL clubs are beginning to get an academy system in place and could develop some good young players want them to play at the higher USLPRO level. As opposed to the mix match of NPSL Amateur Semi pro mix of clubs.
    Ottawa already had a full academy system in place bumping their highest level to the Pro NASL from the U-23 PDL. So they will have a whole to fill from Academy to Pro. Although for Ottawa they have Canadian Ontario1 option as well.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know what Orlando is doing next year in USL, what about NYCFC? Any peep?

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This is just a guess of my own. Between Mann City and the Yankees that they will just pay for their own USL Pro club.
    As for where they will play home matches it will not be Yankee Stadium.
    The Yankees have several minor league baseball affiliates that are near NYC.
    Trenton
    Staten Island in which the Staten Island Yankees operate.
    Scranton in upstate PA. A bit far. The stadium PNC used to be a multi use stadium I am not sure it is set up for that after recent reno's when the Yankees became the affiliate.

The possibility of using a soccer stadium like St Johns and not charge admission to games like LAG2.

Again just my guesses. I would say that renting a small soccer stadium like ST Johns and not charge admission or promote much would be likely in year one.
    Broadcasting games on the Yankees YES network would be a good possibility though

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St Johns, is that the plastic field on top of a parking garage?

Is it more likely nycfc2 if it happens will just play wherever they build their practice facilities?

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I am sure that that will all happen in the very near future. As for next season though not sure what they will have ready facilities wise, SJ was just an example. If there is a better pitch close by at a Univesity or other could be an option.
    The question was really wat will they do about a USL Pro side. Likely be running there own similar to LAG2 where there will be not much promotion but there to serve the basic need of a minor league side.
    Unlike what Vancouver is doing. They are owning and running there own club but will have local investers and the city of Westiminster involved for a new reno's stadium with the team being marketed and supported by a fan base from the area.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. FCNY played there. We called a game from there.

It's quaint.

13. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where you get the idea that the new owners of the Charlotte franchise would be adverse to an affiliation. The Eagles due to their mission statement may not have been interested but the new owners haven't said one way or the other.

...And to set your mind at ease over a lack of an "in-state rivalry" that has popped up in a couple of posts that would necessitate a move to the other league, rest assured that the fans of the Hammerheads will gladly transfer their animosity of the team from the city we call call "Car-Lot" to the new representatives.

Yep. Seems the Wilmington Hammerheads are in North Carolina too. Look it up at 34.2 North Latitude 77.9 West Longitude.

SoccerPrime and CHHSfan repped this.
  14. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I digress in my written thoughts. Would QSFC be interested in being a USLPRO Affiliate? If so and obtain an MLS affiliate, how big is the USLPRO Carolina Rivalry

Should QSFC look to be an independent of an MLS affiliate would an NASL Riavalry between the the two cities in NC in which there are major league pro sports franchises.
    Charlotte with NFL and NBA. Raleigh being of NHL.
    with both bigger Metro areas having a pro club in a NASL d2 be of a better pro rivalry than a Charlotte and a Wilmington.
    With a reno'd ALM stadium place QCSC in a position to bid for an MLS franchise. The Hammerheads are likely to lose their MLS TFC affiliate. Would Charlotte be an attractive location for MLS with a partnership with already establishe Wilmington USLpro club in place?
    A nice triangle of USOC match ups having USLPro vs NASL winner playing the the MLS club.

15. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan Hunt reveals FC Dallas’ USL-Pro plans

Our path is to have an affiliate for 2015 and it’ll be somebody that is a very likeminded group, so we feel good in trusting our players to them. And then, our goal is to have our own team in 2016. We’re working out those details.

http://soccerblog.dallasnews.com/2014/08/dan-hunt-reveals-fc-dallas-usl-pro-plans.html/

16. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you remember the days when we were one true soccer-specific stadium short of having one true soccer-specific stadium in MLS, seeing the day when an MLS team will just up and build a second one somewhere else is pretty special.

fuzzx, Blando13, Vesty and 2 others repped this.
  19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    [​IMG]Merritt Paulson @MerrittPaulson · Sep 2
    Looking forward to announcing details of our long term USL strategy in the coming month or so. Shaping up nicely & will be big 4 development

Also, a poster in another forum mentioned that Montreal could be announcing their plans tomorrow.

20. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Montreal is in for next year

507550275318870016 is not a valid tweet id

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, FC Montréal is better then Montréal II I suppose.

23. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping for a resurrection of
    [​IMG]

fuzzx repped this.
  24. thefishy

thefishy Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Club:
    Real Murcia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Sorry, I'm lost, how many MLS reserve squads does that make playing in USL Pro proper? Not counting the affiliated ones

LA Galaxy II
    RSL
    FC Montréal
    NYRB 2

who else is confirmed? And are all new squads joining for 2015?