MLS Originals, Who Will Be Left?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MouseyTongue, Aug 26, 2007.

1. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check Ramiro out at the :21 second mark... goal #9 on the 1996 top 10 goals list:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fveG427BhZk"]San Jose Earthquakes 100 Greatest Goals 1996 - YouTube[/ame]

Also interesting to see Wynalda let someone else take the free kick :D.

2. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Corrales counts as an original despite not being continuous, and Thornton counts as an original despite not being continuous, then what about Hejduk?
    He was gone longer, but not much longer.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Chet North never played, but he's been on the Kansas City bench for all 16 seasons. Even that list has to be extremely short at this point.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yup. Completely spaced on him. Kinda ironic, no?

And with his lung capacity and his locker room presence, he might out last them all.

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    We're getting to the point now where there's only about a dozen players left from the shootout era.

6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose Merc News had an article toward season end stating that there were only 3 1996ers left, and that Ramiro Corrales hoped to outlast the others.

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, down to Hejduk, Corrales, and Thornton? All USMNT guys, as well.

All non-continuous, as well. But continuous and original are not the same thing. I think all three pass muster as 96ers.

And, as an aside, I'd like to mention one player who played in 96, though not from the beginning of the year, who could still play in MLS, if he so chose. Brad Friedel.

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Petter Villegas is still playing too.

9. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    There are very few players from the 1996 MLS season still active, regardless of what definition you use. We might as well throw all of them into the list.

10. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    More generally, I wonder what the list of '96 MLSers still playing professionally anywhere looks like.

11. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a really good point. I took note of the Merc article because Ramiro is suffering a back problem similar to mine, and I'm almost 30 years older than he is. Pro sports really takes its toll, and these 96ers have played it for 15 years!

As an aside, it shows how Beckham is a physiologic one in a million.

12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Corrales is a marvel. He just keeps going - maybe he slows down a little bit each year, but he continues to start most of the games, and he plays a pretty physical game with those long somewhat wiry legs that somehow just keep going.

But right, Becks is a few years older than Corrales - even more of a marvel. His senior professional career at ManU started in 1993.

13. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Friedel, that would be taking the easy way out. :rolleyes:

14. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Of course (as JazzyJ is well aware ;)), on the Quakes boards there is a long-simmering discussion about whether Corrales SHOULD be starting most games...

15. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/14/climbing-ladder-passing-generation-mls

16. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    I would love to see how the allocation order for Brad Friedel is handled if he were to come back. He actually transferred mid-contract from the Crew to Liverpool back in 1997, so I think according to rules back then the Crew held on to his MLS rights were he to come back. Would that carry over after so long?