MLS on PTI - Monday

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by CrewStadium227, Aug 5, 2002.

1. CrewStadium227

CrewStadium227 New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Columbus,Ohio,USA
    Wilbon and guest host Norman Chad (Tony will be back Tuesday) talked about the MLS All Star game today.

They took the oligatory shot at the league for shortening the game to make room for the half-time show.

Then Wilbon closed with some mysterious comments. Something about "The real story here is where are all those people after the World Cup who said that soccer has arrived. Soccer is never going to be as big as those people say it will be."

My first question for Wilbon is "who are you talking about?" I heard cautious optimism from soccer people after the WC. No one said the game was going to take over the world of American sports. MLS people and US Soccer people have consistently said that the WC was an important single step on a very long road.

My second question is what does that have to do with the All Star game? The game drew a good crowd by MLS standards, and most of them stayed through a long delay. It looked to me like fan support is sticking with the league. What about the All Star game would make you ask "where are those people now?"

2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least they mentioned it. Perhaps only because it was in DC.

3. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    PTI is the ultimate sound bite show. And the ultimate sound bite these days is that soccer will never make it. Whatever the hell making it means. Anyway, any publicity for MLS is pretty much good publicity.

4. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Exactly! The very fact that people talk about whether soccer will "make it" or not means soccer has "made it" already!

You don't ever hear people saying, "Will lacrosse make it as a big-time sport in the US?", etc. (no offense to lacrosse, just using it as a pertinent example).

5. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Ah, screw all this rationalizing, what the heck is Wilbon's e-mail address?

6. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    You can send them an e-mail at PTI@espn.com but I'd be willing to bet that it won't get read.

7. I found Wilbon's comments to be kind of strange. He usually gives soccer a fair shake, today he resorted to all the standard media cliches "this sport will never be big in the us" "everyone keeps saying its the next big thing" etc. Excuse me, but there were over 30k there on a bad weather day. These guys just throw out these cliches than never have any data to back it up. It almost seemed like he used the topic to be down on soccer because in the past he was fair towards it. There must be something that drove him to do that.

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i was very surprised...

wilbon has always taken the higher road when it comes to soccer. maybe it was b/c tony is coming back tomorrow and he wanted to get on tony's good side by bashing soccer...dont worry, with tony back on the show any talk of soccer will find wilbon on the supporters side while kornheiser will be the basher.

9. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    PTI undoubtedly IS a soundbite show, and one guy normally takes one side and the other will take the contrary position just to do it. Whatever. I'm just glad they're still mentioning soccer at all...

10. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    yes any publicity is good publicity.

and I don't really remember hearing soccer people saying that after the WC MLS will explode. I just remember hearing reporters saying that MLS will not get a big jump. Sportscenter made up the whole thing i'm pretty sure. The soccer haters hate soccer so much they had to make up a story to bash soccer. ha ha ha

11. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    I, for one, would love to know exactly what it means when someone says that a sport has "made it".

Does it mean that the sport is viable? That it is profitable? THat it is stable? That is has more than 15,000 fans per game? 20,000 fans/game? 30,000? That it is on national tv? That it gets money from its tv contract?

You see, there is no set definition for what it means, so people can use it to manipulate public opinion.

And for someone to say that soccer will never be huge is living in a cave. I can relate anything in life to the Simpsons, and last night they had an episode where Homer fakes his own death, his mom comes back after having been gone for 27 years to see him, and they have a flashback to Homer as a child. Homer's father was watching the Superbowl and said something like, "I'm watching the Superbowl. If we don't support this thing, it might not make it!" I know this is only a cartoon, but that was the state of the NFL (and the NBA, and NHL) for many years, before it exploded in popularity.

And, there is a whole class of people out there: recent immigrants from Mexico (mostly) who, unlike in the past, do not have to cast aside their love of their sport to "meld" in with this society. I recently saw a poll that listed, by race and ethnicity, the "most loved sports". For Whites, it was the NFL, for blacks, it was the NBA, for Latinos, it was "soccer" in general. The Latino community gets stronger every day. Despite the insulated world that Wilbon and his ilk live in, there is a whole facet of American society out there that is soccer-mad. The chore is to get them to be MLS-mad.

12. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: MLS on PTI - Monday

How did he bash soccer? Did he say it was a boring sport with a bunch of whiny fans?

13. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definition of "Made It":
    50% Soccer Specific Stadia
    Average attendance (30,000)
    TV is paying MLS to broadcast games
    Majority of team revenue comes from TV and merchandising.
    MLS can afford national teamers from top countries.

Simple.

Don, get on it!

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Wilbon wasn't taking a shot at soccer, but at Soccerfan.

You know him.

The guy that thinks that when MLB goes on strike, MLS is suddenly going to get 20,000 fans a game.

The guy who can't conceive that people might like other sports more than soccer.

The guy who thinks that the only reason why soccer hasn't taken off is because Americans aren't smart enough/the media's keeping it down/other sports leagues are keeping it down.

He is ubiquitous here at BigSoccer and I salute Wilbon for bashing him because he is worthy to be bashed.

15. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't ever see MLS averaging 30,000 in my life time.

Every thing else (outside of the 50 million + transfers), I believe MLS will hit within the next 20 years, should they survive the next 6 years of course.

Andy

16. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    By these criteria, soccer will make it circa 2072

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I remember when I said that, I got ripped a new one. You may be substantially older than me, though, Andy, or take not-so-good care of yourself, so your point may be valid. ;)

18. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    soccer has been treate very fairly by PTI and Mitch Album. Unforuantely the concer that the excitement from the WC hs no trickled down into MLS, at least to the degree that it caught on for the Cup. That doesn't matter, Gaber and Arena and alike have continually said that it wasn't about catching lightning in a bottle. I heard a figure that MLS attendance is up 20%. We'll take that for now.

19. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. The show itself is basicly an over-hyped, crowd-pleasing show. Plus you rarely get stand-in hosts supporting soccer (e.g. Dan La Bastard, Max "bone-head" Kellerman and some female sportwriter who bashed MLS but hypocritically supported women's soccer). That's why I really care less about the show.

20. dcaddick

dcaddick New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    On the Bandwagon
    Who exactly said soccer will take off after the WC? I'm trying to figure this out. I got to hang out with Wilbon on my birthday, only because both our groups were waiting around for a table, but I didn't say to him, "Hey Wilbon, soccer will take off if we do well in the WC." Did Garber say soccer will take off? Who says this stuff to reporters who report back that this stuff was said?

Now whenever reporters get around to talking about dodgeball, they pretty know who they can turn to. dcaddick. I say dodgeball will make it big in about 2020.

21. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Only if they get their own stadiums

22. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Will that be the most common, 2-way, halfcourt dodge ball, the more hardcore, court split into four quarters, bean em when they ain't looking, dodgeball, or is it the purest, yet most hardcore - St. Valentines Day Massacre line em up against the wall and see if they can make me miss, dodgeball. See, the three will continue to dilute fan interest and thus, none of them will ever make it.

And of course, if it's 2-way halfcourt dodgeball, what will be the critiria for when the gym teacher, erm, referee, lets the seniors on the football team cross the line and hunt down skinny freshman Larry Carpenters whose only tactic was to cower in the corner by the drinking fountain but, truth be told, didn't want to take gym class anyway.

23. dcaddick

dcaddick New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    On the Bandwagon
    Hardcore man. All out line them up drill 'em in the face, make them cry to their mommas dodgeball. All other forms are sorry, sad, ripoffs.

Ahh yes...the Larry Carpenters...those sad souls who did not wish to be in the arena with gladiators. Hoping the gym teacher would throw in the towel, or the bell would ring...the Larry Carpenters should stick to tetherball.

24. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Name dropper