MLS Officials visiting St. Louis Today!

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by rlrcpa, Jul 17, 2006.

1. rlrcpa

rlrcpa Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More information on St. Louis' bid for an MLS franchise:

St. Louis Post Dispatch article link

"Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber will be in St. Louis today on what an MLS spokesman termed an exploratory trip to meet with the group seeking to bring an expansion team here."

"I look forward to sitting down and answering the league's questions with other interested parties," said Jeff Cooper, a lawyer from Alton who is leading the pursuit of an expansion team. "Hopefully we'll impress the league that we're very serious about bringing the MLS to St. Louis."

Hopefully another step in the right direction for St. Louis getting an MLS franchise!:D

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I wonder if Nellie will be there. I kinda like the idea of Garber and his dated goatee hangin' with someone like Nellie.

3. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imho, a St Louis franchise would give the league a stamp of "validation". Anyone who has looked at US soccer history knows the importance of St Louis. It seems so odd that they are not in MLS. Is this due to the politicians, the media, the business community or the sports fans?

4. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    I don't think you can blame the fans here...but everyone else, yeah, they've played a part. Egos have played a big part.

As far as the fans, I think they will support an MLS team, if given the chance.

5. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Prairie Village, KS
    I lived in St. Louis for a couple years, and most of my family is from there. Last family reunion, I asked this question of dozens of my relatives (South City German-Catholic family, so I had plenty to choose from). The response I got was surprising to me, so I thought I'd share.

The most common response was that youth soccer up through the high school level is SO huge in St. Louis, that they just don't pay much attention to the professional game. They knew about Ralston and Noonan and Twellman of course, but it almost seemed to them that their careers ended after high school. Maybe if there was an MLS team in-market that will change, but it was nearly universal apathy towards MLS.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a team in St. Louis, and I hope an ownership / stadium situation gels in the next couple years. My gut is that the younger generation of soccer fans WOULD support MLS in St. Louis, at a level that perhaps their parents would not. My gut also tells me that location of the stadium is going to be critical...

6. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm gonna guess and say that the lack of a viable stadium or even a proper playing surface has deterred MLS from St. Louis over the past decade.

Think about it, the only stadium that could FIT the attendance numbers that MLS wants is the Edward Jones Dome. Yet, it's an all-turf, indoor arena built specifically for American football.

All other viable playing surfaces hold too small a number of fans, like A-B Soccer Park in Fenton (I believe it has a capacity around 5,000), and SLU's Hermann Stadium, with a capacity of around 6,000.

Thus, the major issue really has been stadiums. Then again, this ownership group is the first such group I've ever heard coming out of StL. Maybe previous to these guys, no one else was willing to put up the money.

7. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why has MLS NOT set up shop in St. Louis?

1. No stadium
    2. No investor-operator
    3. No prospects of either 1 or 2

any questions? save your theories for the grassy knoll.

8. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    I guess RSL is no longer a very stable franchise and St.Louis where they move to, otherwise the league is not too crazy been at SL.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Uh... what?

10. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Huh?

11. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    I hope that MLS gets the deal done with St. Louis. There are two built-in rivalries with Chicago and KC off the bat, and with some good management, it'd likely turn into one of the more popular MLS franchises.

12. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    There is a poll on the Saint Louis Post Dispatch website about MLS support.

Anytime we can make soccer look well supported the better.

It is on the right hand side midway down the page.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports

Now stuff that ballot box! Do it!

13. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    If they get the same fan support as KC is getting now, don't even look at SL MLS please...KC is a very nice team but in the wrong town just like SL is going to be.

14. rlrcpa

rlrcpa Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just voted. After almost 600 votes:
    46% YES
    45% NO
    9% Undecided.

We need to vote, people!:)

15. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any American who even knows there is a U.S. Soccer history is probably already watching MLS.

16. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's up 47% yes now!

17. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Man, you are blowing MLS' hip quotient. Its NELLY, not Nellie son :eek: :)

18. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Until you learn that the proper abbreviation is "The STL" or simply "STL", your opinions are not valid.

19. jsantarita

jsantarita Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Or perhaps " used to watch MLS until the boredom and meaningless of the season tuned him off"

20. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not only that, Nelly is PLAYED OUT now. Nobody listens to him anymore.

Chingy is the new hotness now and even then he's not gonna be that hot for long either.

21. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha Nelly is not over. He still has sales from old albums.

Chingy? Hasn't had a hit since One Call Away. He is a nobody now.

22. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    Who is Nelly? And since when is Brian Ching called Chingy? I thought it was Chinger if anything. Maybe they mean Mark Chung, but then it's Chungy.

23. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TA-DAH!!!!! talk to me when you have a viable owner... until then, if you got a team, you would be the Tampa Bay Mutiny, league owned, looking for an owner...

"oh we want a team, we will support a team" - "you willing to write a 10 million dollar check?" - "um, never mind"

bah humburg

24. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You haven't been paying much attention, have you?

25. VON9905

VON9905 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Re: It's gettin' hot in here...

Haha, you made my day.

-Von