MLS Non-Sporting Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, Jan 19, 2011.

1. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They subbed off Suarez and brought in Campana....not fair.

Miami have gone the way of signing a team full of players that are good enough to play on national teams. Opposite of SKCs approach. Peter playing 4D chess....we'll get them during the international breaks MLS doesn't acknowledge. They'll never see it coming.

Julien Gressel went there?

mschofield repped this.
  2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, gressel is there. Of course he is. It's like Tata is a version of Prince Humperdink, but instead of inconcievable he says "Player budget" and we respond "We do not think that means what you think it means" but we're wrong.

3. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta say I'm feeling some nice schadenfreude over Inter Miami getting booed in Hong Kong when Messi did not take the field. Also a bit scary that fans are that into seeing Messi at 36 and the tail end of his career.

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can see the desire to see Messi. The man can still play, and when you didn't make the effort to see Jordan when you had the chance (read I didn't), I get plonking down the money for this.

5. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lived in the Chicago area and watched Jordan play, but that was different. He was young, in his prime and winning NBA championships. I get it, Messi is an amazing player and I would have done just about anything to see him play in his prime in Barcelona. However, I’m not on the “gotta see him live against an MLS team” bandwagon. I think it is kind of cool for the players to say they got to play against one of the greatest and that he played in our league. I felt the same way when Jordan came back to the NBA as an older and kind of out of shape player with the old Washington Bullets. I really wasn’t very interested in seeing him play with a bottom of the table NBA team after he had already retired and came back just for a few more bucks and more sponsor revenue. A lot of people are going to go see Messi and I think that’s just fine, but I’m not one of them. Plus, I’m certainly not going to travel to a game and then pay the jacked up prices for the tickets when the guy may not even play.

mschofield repped this.
  6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not either. To be fair, bit of an outlay from Berlin. The only time I did something like that was for Mario Lemieux, in his first year. Went over to catch the Penguins play in StL.

BenDover repped this.
  7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nothing wrong with the new SKC jerseys (it is two, right, argyle and diamonds?), but Minnesota was swinging for the fences with their new one: https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/minnesota-united-fc-unveil-2024-starry-night-kit

Not sure it works, but big ol' A for putting in a lot of thought. That idea would be cool for SKC, Ad Astra and all. No idea what the Missouri logo is. Loves Company? Hi, May I Help You? No idea.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't do it for me, it looks like one of those bad, cheap shirts you see online that you wonder "who in the world would buy that."

BenDover, kcfooty and mschofield repped this.
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But, it is out there. It's like the '94 stars and stripes in faux denim. Or the original Wiz kit ( both of which were wildly mocked at the time, but have since become nostalgia cool). Were they great ideas, probably not, but they were IDEAS.
    You miss more than you connect when you do that, but it also leads to an occasional Bo Jackson sort of contact, and some of those connections probably still haven't landed.
    Where I could see a jersey like this working is in the non-traditional soccer market.

10. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some interesting designs out there for all the MLS teams this year. I think the creativity works for a lot of them, but fall other look just silly. Two of the worst out there is Seattle and Portland. Good grief!

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See I think Seattle’s is great.

12. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not just players in the league getting younger….

13. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After months of a steady diet of watching Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A, and La Liga, it was almost painful to watch the Miami vs RSL game tonight. I know it is the first game of the season, but wow it was just sloppy.

14. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I consume a lot of Serie A and had the exact same thought. The quality was very low, mostly because of Miami's insistence of trying to play like Barcelona.

The second half was like watching U12s when you first introduce posession concepts and winning is not the driver for playing. They had so many turn overs. And RSL.....Zach is still a bad keeper who makes U10 mistakes. Their forwards couldn't score if the goal was 5X bigger.

Not a good advertisement for MLS.

15. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching MLS on Apple TV, do you think that the league increased its domestic viewership very much among people who usually don't watch MLS (not counting the Messi increase)? I also wonder just how much the USL is making inroads into the domestic market with the media package they signed up to and is it better than the Apple deal.
    https://www.uslchampionship.com/new...FudGlAZ21haWwuY29t&utm_phone=OTEzMjU0OTI0OQ==

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I dunno, we've watched the traditional US networks not figure out how to attract an audience for soccer for 30 years. In this case, they're putting a lessor product than MLS on the TV, up against not just MLS but the Prem, Serie A, Bundesliga, La liga, and Liga MX? How on earth does that work out well?
    I think it is encouraging that CBS and ESPN are both showing matches, but this deal has "about to collapse" written all over it.
    MLS domestic viewership has always been mostly in person, hasn't it. And the point of TV deals for a league is primarily money., isn't it? I have attended non-MLS affiliated USL level games. TV slows down the play from the in-person experience. A lot of this will be painful, and viewership after a short time won't even include the soccer hipsters calling for pro/rel.

17. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow Miami. After watching them destroy Orlando on the counter, it makes me shake my head at the thought of us playing them.

18. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fontas is going to lock them down.

I almost said with a straight face.

19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hey now, Fontas has possibly the most game experience defending against Messi in the entire league.

Not that he did, you know, historically well at it...

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Three weeks in and I have to say, I am a fan of the Minnesota northern sky jerseys. Maybe part of it is that the team is quite impressive so far, but onscreen the shirts look good and distinctive during play.

21. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Agreed. Also, Minnesota is much more likable without Heath.

mschofield repped this.
  22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    True. And starting this week, they actually have a head coach!

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami now has a midweek game (likely against Monterrey) the midweek before the Arrowhead game.

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like, at best, he'll come on as a late sub. at worst, he'll be injured or not available.

i'll be honest, i'm kind of rooting for chaos here. i want our boys and team to succeed, but i have no love for management and ownership, and i'd love for this to blow up in their face.

Kooth repped this.
  25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the same boat. Definitely rooting for chaos here.