MLS NEXT Pro: The Town FC - Los Angeles FC 2 (Sunday, 5/19) pre/in/postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The score so far is:

[​IMG] 0 - 0 [​IMG]

GO THE TOWN FC!!! :cool:

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 Goodsport, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    This game is scheduled to be broadcast live on MLS Season Pass at 4:55pm PDT.

• Apple TV
      • MLS Season Pass

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will that Mother’s Day game momentum carry over into this game? :)

-G

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One day and counting. :)

-G

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today’s the day! :thumbsup:

-G

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is The Town FC’s Hernán López Muñoz? :confused:

-G

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first half begins. The score is:

[​IMG] 0 - 0 [​IMG]

-G

11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Emi Ochoa starting for The Town for the 1st time in a while - his 2nd start all year, which means, I guess(?), that they want to keep him sharp for a Tuesday start? Or they intend to start Yarbrough in Sac and want to give Emi some time?

Goodsport repped this.
  12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first half ends with the score at:

[​IMG] 0 - 0 [​IMG]

-G

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second half kicks off. The score is still:

[​IMG] 0 - 0 [​IMG]

-G

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well The Town didn't play badly today. They are really depleted. The only guy they had on the bench with any real prior minutes of note was Chow. Richmond, Ricketts, Lynch(?), all out. Bilter had to play RB and did a good job. Not sure what's up with Verhoeven. Maybe training with the 1st team. Donnery played left side attacker and actually wasn't bad! Much better than I'd seen him play before.

Cruz Medina has I think 8 starts as CAM and still 0g, 0a. I know he's still only 17 but this is his 3rd year with the team, and he's captain now I think. I keep thinking - well he's not playing badly but when is he going to take the match by the scruff of the neck? Well he kind of did it early in the 2nd half - he took 3 medium range shots in short succession, a couple of which were decent and on target. The Town's attack was so anemic I think he wanted to try to take matters in his own hands. So anyway I think he's not doing badly, and the goals and assists will come if he keeps working hard.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 0 (6) - (5) 0 [​IMG]

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Casey Walls should not be among first five penalty-takers.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These Town games seem like they are duller than dishwater... I guess the Quakes shouldn't be expecting any game changing reinforcements anytime soon.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Emi made a couple of good point blank reaction saves again today, saves that I don’t think Yarbrough can make anymore if he ever could, though he (Emi) had another sketchy venture out from between the sticks. There was one especially good tip of a point blank header over the bar that was similar to the one had against Oakland.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    They will look better with Lynch and Richmond in the games. That's where a lot of the attack comes from. Edwards had a good start to the season but is not too effective on the right side, and Donnery is well, Donnery. Thank god for the PKs otherwise not sure who would come to the games. And The Town folks are making a meal of the PKs. "Reminder, if the game ends tied, we will go to penalty kicks!!" (Crowd cheers.) I think The Town has scored 1 goal in their 3 home games so far this year?

20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree wholeheartedly. I wish he would just show more intensity on both sides of the ball, more like Hernan. He's a bit too laid back a player for my liking.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, though he's actually gotten a little better in that regard over the last few years. When he first started he looked almost disinterested. I think that's why they made him captain. Give him the keys, and make him get into the game. He may be a little frustrated that he was a nationally top-rated guy in his age group, and featured player for U17's, etc., and he's not really getting much of a sniff from the 1st team while guys like Cade and Niko were getting minutes at 16 / 17 yo, etc. But I think he's gotta show that he's a good player in Next/Pro first. I think he's getting there, but it's been kind of a slow steady progress. This is the year that he can earn it. So far, 0g, 0a, not a great start. But he's not playing badly. Just needs to keep up / ramp up the effort, and try to keep improving and hopefully the results come. And then next year maybe he starts to get a few nibbles from the 1st team. I'm sure he'd like to play with Hernán.

22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think when he was younger he could get by much easier on his technical ability, he was just that much better than others in his age group. Now he is playing against opponents that are better and have the drive to want to succeed. I just hope doesn't end up like Gilbert Fuentes.

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I've been watching him over the past couple of years. First year he was just too light and got pushed off the ball too easily. Last year was a little better. An occasional good flash but again not really making his mark on the games and they weren't consistent with where they were playing him - he'd often play wide and wouldn't see a lot of the game. Physically now seems like he can compete a little better - he seems stronger and a little quicker, and they're playing him in the middle consistently. These are all good developments but he is still struggling to really make his mark on the games. I feel like he's improving but not in any kind of "spurts" - just kind of slow steady improvement. As long as that continues he'll be OK and won't wind up in Gilbert Fuentes-land.

At this point I'm not really sure what he excels at though. He's a pretty good dribbler but is not generally skinning guys. He makes good decisions and passes with the ball, but he's not really serving up dimes necessarily - still 0 assists. He has a pretty good medium to long shot. That might be his best attribute now, but otherwise he doesn't seem to really excel at anything. Right now, a pretty good well-rounded player, but there isn't anything in his game that makes me think - yes(!) - the Quakes need that right now!