MLS Next Pro League

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Eleven Bravo, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do miss being able to flip on ESPN+ on a random Wednesday and watching these MLS academy kids. Don’t care enough to stream from the MLS website. Hope AppleTV can bring some better production quality.

Also - the MLS Next Pro name just does not stick with me.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    It does mess up the small local clubs whose marketing strategy is add whatever the latest buzz word to their club name in order to attract parents...

See "Barcelona of Los Angeles Elite Next Pro Developmental Academy Team 09Boys."

3. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    It is strange how I used to watch a ton of USL1 but now that it's MLS next pro, I don't watch any of it. Haven't seen more than 1 NTSC game this year and saw all of them last year. I watched the first one on the MLS platform this year and it sucked so bad, it made it not worth watching. Ball leaving the frame, freezing up stream etc.

Would be nice if it came back to Espn plus. They have tons of soccer, college and pro and do a good job with it.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call it MLSNP and pronounce the letters in Spanish so it sounds exotic (to non-Spanish speakers anyway). Add "THE" to it so it sounds like it's part of THE Premier League.

5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Do yourself a favor and check out the Next/Pro “Game of the Week”. One game a week gets the broadcast treatment and it’s usually done well. At least as good as any USL broadcast. I have a feeling Apple may increase the value of Next/Pro game production but I think it’s likely not all games will be broadcast like they are now.

glutton4Bolts and gogorath repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How can you not have every game broadcast? Maybe not all games will be broadcast with better production value than this, which still would be a bad deal for MLS, as all USL games are broadcast with full production value.

I have a hard time believing the coverage for some games will get even worse. There are teams that broadcast their academy games weekly with as good or better production value.

7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Streaming numbers on Next/Pro games may run in the hundreds not thousands. Apple doesn’t need to fill traditional “air time” so I suspect they will pick and choose what games to air after considering production costs and maybe let Next/Pro continue to stream non Apple games on their website.

8. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Hundreds might be generous.

willydonc repped this.
  9. Granted it's a nationally recognized media program, but my son's ex-high school TV station has every bit the competence and production values as most USL broadcasts. Why not award the top local high school, or ju co media program the opportunity to produce the behind the scenes work and cover their costs? Unions might get pissy about it, but maybe they could be brought in on it as a job training program.
    The Fire are challenged drawing thousands to watch the first team. I'm certain there are fewer than one hundred viewers outside of friends & family & me.

Pegasus repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Interesting plan by Nashville to expand their sphere of influence. Maybe hope to reach the next versions of Chris Richards, Tanner Tessmann, Brandon Servania, etc. down there.

gogorath repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm sure it's in the hundreds, if not thousands. The families probably almost all tune in. I'm sure friends of the players tune in. Then you have fans that tune in. Maybe it's not many that are tuning in, but these MLS teams have a lot of fans. Even .05% of them tuning in, and you are easily past 100 per team. You also have the team employees who tune in. You have scouts who tune in (from around the world).

kinznk and Winoman repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be sure to check it out... because the couple of broadcasts I have streamed have been so poor that I have yet to go back. Just one camera and no zooming? Really? The two games I watched were in Pro stadiums so it must have been about saving costs on the camera crews. Hoping Apple does a far better job... because if they do I might watch a lot of these games because I care more about young US players than I do the teams involved. That is why I don't watch teams like Portland. At any rate... anyone have a line on what the MLS subscription is going to cost? I have Apple+ already.

16. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
  17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    There are literally no camera crews. Tiny cameras are fixed mounted at the stadiums/fields up high and then when the game is streamed they have a computer Artificial Intelligence program zoom in on where the ball is going. At the beginning the had too tight of a zoom and sometimes the computer lost track of it and goals were scored off screen. It seems like they now have wider shots but that makes everyone look tiny. It seems they do real camera crews for “game of the week”.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Winoman repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531, gogorath and onefineesq repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Zack Farnsworth ('02) returned in this game. He's missed a year and a half due to an ankle injury. I think he's an under the radar player that could emerge within a few years, if he returns back to his best. Still only 20 and he's a defensive player, so he's not too far behind. However, missing so much time can see a player stagnate and players don't always return to their best after such a tough injury recovery.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531