Review: MLS New Stadium Watch 2016 Edition

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by flippin269, Feb 3, 2016.

1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of them

Depends on your budget

Revolt repped this.
  2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep telling you guys, Architectural Renderings are the lies we provide to the owners to sell stadiums, either to their financiers or the public

CAllen91 repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on the local authorities too. Someone said it would take years for San Jose to get permission to expand Avaya.

Any reason the Timbers can't just rip out their barely worn seats?

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and No. It depends on what land use controls and/or form based zoning codes are currently on the property. If the proposed expansion does not violate the design or land use code, there is nothing the local authorities can do except for change the zoning, but that's almost impossible without the acquiesce of property owner and why would they voluntarily restrict their options? If the municipal authority does arbitrarily restrict expansion that doesn't violate the code, they can be sued for taking the value of the property and will likely end up paying for the owner's expansion

Lots of people express opinions as facts without the requisite knowledge to back them up

They might want to plan that a bit better

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I read about Avaya but I can't find anything official to back it up.

The Quakes were limited to 18k because of neighborhood/activists concerns about noise. They wanted to build one that would hold about 23-24k but had to settle for 18k to start. The city council said they would consider allowing for expansion after a few years after the impact on the area could be studied which would include traffic and crime on game days. If the capacity is increased they would round off the ends but still keep LOBINA intact. The expected new capacity would increase to around 23k or so.

Yes, the activists were concerned about noise from a stadium with an airport across the street, train tracks on the other side of the stadium and a major freeway less than 1/4 mile away. Each of these are significant sources of noise but a stadium used for a couple hours about 25 times per years as cause for concern and protest. Ugh!

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what the activists fail to realize is that the extra 6,000 people can't realistically increase the dB level by 30%. It's not like their cheering can raise the overall dB level from 133 db from 100 dB. But acoustics are hard for the lay folks

Well, the SJUltras are the most likely to start a riot...

Welcome to Ignorance

7. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .... what? We already compete with them for avg attendance and our lower end att are better than theirs. Also, last year we were within 1K of Ligue 1 in France.

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am going strictly by hazy recollection, but I believe any Avaya Stadium expansion proposal would trigger the need for an amended/updated environmental impact report (EIR) to assess the impacts of the alterations, which typically would take at least six months to prepare.

Beyond that, the proposal would need to go through the usual planning process, and the City of San Jose is severely short-staffed on planners, so 12 months seems like a reasonable estimate, even though I would anticipate uniformly positive reaction from City officials to any expansion proposal.

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    it depends on how you define 'expandable'-

some like TFC and portland are doing structural expansion; some like vancouver and seattle expand through removing tarps for specific games; some move to a larger stadium for specific games, like SJ and montreal; and some MLS teams must be pondering what to do since they are at capacity, such as SKC and RSL

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I see that sign a lot when I travel. Especially during election years.

Getting into semantics. The point was that any stadium, even CenturyLink or Gillette, is capable of undergoing expansion if there's enough money to match the will. Most may never need or want this, but the possibility exists.

11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since their not starting from scratch, it shouldn't take more than 60 days - I guess maybe 90 for California
    Back when I got out of planning school, I looked at a couple of planning jobs in San Jose, LA, Sac | I was shocked that the starting salary was less than 10K more than Oklahoma. You'd be on food stamps.
    Much like the definition "Amplify" that gets routinely misdefined around here, I use the "real" definition.
    That would be correct usage. They are expanding the available number of seats and/or the envelope/footprint of the structure.
    If I am in a building and a room is locked and I unlock that door so that I can use it, I have not expanded the building.
    If I move my event to a rented space, I have not expanded my home structure.
    Regretting not constructing at a lower price point.

matbluvenger repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He clearly meant expandable in terms of capacity.

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking the tarp off of seating already installed is not expanding capacity.

matbluvenger repped this.
  14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for proving yourself wrong

"Currently NYCFC’s allocation stands at 27,528 and next season it will rise to 30,000. In the franchise’s breakout season attendance was typically around 29,000."

The stadium's functional capacity, depending on the event can rise to 54,000. NYCFC is allocated a portion of this in their configuration. Depending on the event, such as a match against Manchester City, could be allocated more seating & tickets up to the maximum safe capacity for exiting & safety. But the building, not it's capacity have not been expanded by increased ticket allocation.

"The stadium’s actual capacity is 54,500, but the Caps block off the upper bowl seats."

Artificial Restriction. If I have a hotel with main meeting space that can be divided into three smaller spaces by movable partitions, when a client wants to lease 2 or all 3 of those smaller spaces as a single space and I remove those partitions, neither the size of my building has increased, nor the maximum capacity or occupant load. That capacity is already there.

"The stadium at full capacity, when both the upper and lower bowls are utilized, holds 67,000.

Capacity was not increased in any of these situations. The artificial restriction for particular events was changed.

The stadium's existing capacity is 67,000, which is what their building & safety permitting is for. The stadium owner & team owner have decided to artificially restrict attendance for their events, but their has been no expansion of the buildings occupant capacity.

15. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Portland? They seem pretty boxed in. Unless the budget involves tearing down surrounding city blocks...

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You can either buy additional land or build up and compromise sight lines

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium's actual capacity is over 100,000 but they've restricted it by installing seats, walkways, fire escapes and reserving the area between the stands as a "playing surface".

CAllen91 repped this.
  18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you understand what the word occupancy means

crew2112 repped this.
  19. AranhaHunter

AranhaHunter Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Couldn't Orlando also have a 30K attendance? Even if the new stadium does end up at only 25K, if they play 2-3 games at the Citrus Bowl (and fill it, like opening games), then they could average 30K+ as well.

20. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be pretty cool, but I don't think I've seen any discussion on Orlando playing any Citrus Bowl games in 2018 or after. Was that mentioned before? I would imagine that even though the Citrus Bowl is able to fit more people, Orlando City's roster would relish the idea of playing on their own natural grass as opposed to playing on the artificial stuff if they don't have to. I see them as a team who is serious about wanting big-name DP on their roster long-term after Kaka.

I would assume the better chance at 30+ for Orlando would be if they were to expand the new stadium at some point by a few thousand more seats. Would be nice if possible. They certainly have the fanbase for it.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm getting used to Yankee Stadium. I don't mind the idea of staying there for a long-time, not that there'll be a choice.

22. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois