MLS Needs To Drop USOC

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Turk from Pigs Eye, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    who gives a flying **** on that SuperLiga crap anyway? expand the CCC and play them more

3. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    You do realize they already did that and made it into a Champions League
    ;)

4. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    it didn't happen this year. i read somewhere a couple of yrs ago they thinking about it but didn't realize push comes to shove

is this going to happen next year or the year after? do u have link?

as for the Superliga i still think it's worthless and we all be just fine without it

5. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4171

6. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can think it's worthless but the winner gets $1,000,000

As for whether it takes place at the right time, that's certainly worth discussion.

7. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Click the link above. Yes it's going to happen this coming August.

8. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Actually I think it's a crap bush league tourney as well. They just want the money from all the Mexican fans that come up here not just for a vacation, but at the same time to watch their favorite clubs play in the states. US Soccer could've given at least half of what Superliga winner gets to win the US Open Cup. But once again, they don't want to pay attention to their own cup.

9. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    aye,there's the schedule for the outcoming games and the CCCL:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/tickets/canadianchampionship/schedule/

one game has already took place and TFC won @Impact 1-0

the next is Vancouver@Montreal June 17th 7:30 EST

what i didn't find is what happens in the case TFC wins the MLS(cup or SS)

either way it's great news finally the Concacaf started to take command over the NA mess

10. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing really. The default back up is to go to the MLS league standings and pick the next team down. TFC's performance in non-Canadian competitions has nothing to do with the CCL.

11. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    and what is worse with that SL crap is that they haven't even instituted a qualification criteria

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for that whole "top four in points from the previous season" thing.

Seriously...there are, maybe, six or eight people in the Eastern Hemisphere who are dumber than you, aren't there?

13. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    so how come LAG participated even though they haven't been in the playoffs the season b4? oh,that's right,DB has played right?

14. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the first one was by invite. And it was stated as such. And that after the first tournament that it was the top 4 in points. How hard is that to understand? Didn't like it but it made sense to put LA in for first year exposure.

15. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that USOC winner needs to get a Million Dollars. But yeah, even 500K would be fine.

But the SL does give some good competition for MLS teams, even if they don't play full starting lineups(due to preseason for them) or even if one thinks it's a money grab.

16. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    look,i'm all for a midsummer friendly tournies what bugs me MLS teams' staffs put it in their prime priorities in the expanse of their own cup

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously...you'd be doing everyone - yourself included - a huge service if you just stopped talking about American soccer, because it's obvious you know nothing about how we do things.

You're way behind on everything. You don't pay attention. You don't read up. You make statements that are demonstrably untrue and easily punctured.

And then you move the goalposts. First it was bs because they didn't have a stated qualification procedure. Then, when it was pointed out to you that there wasn't, but there is now, you say it bugs you because a higher priority is put on it than the US Open Cup.

Well, wah wah wah. The Superliga format is sexier, it's more "sell"-able. It's Us Against Them, not Us Against A Minnow You Don't Know or A Team We Play All the Time Anyway.

I'm all in favor of the USOC. But the market has pretty much decided where it ranks. It may make some incremental gains over time, but it's not even a really important tournament even in our own soccer community.

That's not the case in other countries, I realize that. But it's different over here. Which you should keep in mind whenever you post.

18. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    why do you think an average oriental ME dude is just not "smart enough" to understand "how things done in the good US of A"?

i just think if you'll put your mind to understand how things are done(or have been done/founded) in the traditional soccer world to become the successful prosperious they are today,you'll find out you're way way behind

wanna catch on? stop the instant $$$ made machine(it's not the ********ing NBA) and realize how traditional rivarlies have been started to flourish across the continent throughout the decades(no,and it's not enough addind the FC lable in every new MLS franchise that wouldn't do it)

the MLS are far the better followed league in the eastern hemosphere than the MFL why do you think it is?

19. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are just being ignorant about your ideas.

btw - USOC is not an "MLS cup" it's the US Soccer Federation cup. It's the USSF's job to promote it, sell it, etc.

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Correct. Which is why they are failing horribly about it.

21. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    who said the USOC is an MLS cup? the USOC is the official national championship of soccer in the United States especially after TFC's addition

say what you like but i'd have follow NA soccer with mucho mas passion if there were Pro/Rel system and/or a regular season without a silly playoffs like almost every country i know

22. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the USOC Winner get a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League? This would make it a slightly more important tournament.

I totally disagree with this idea of the MLS dropping USOC. If anything, I would have the USOC become an open playoff for all of the teams in MLS, USL1, USL2 as well as the division champions in the PDL at the end of the season. Everyone (except teams from Puerto Rico and Bermuda) would be invited in the tournament. This would definitely make the USOC much more interesting, and more meaningful...

23. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    yes. at last

in my POV the entire US soccer has to be under the umbrella of the USSF euro/SA style and the Open Cup as the aquvivalent FA Cup leaving the canuck teams in Canada with an identical system of their own England/Scotland module. it is not the case right now but you do live to hope d'ya?

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    What is interesting is that the FA Cup winner does not qualify to the Champions League, but the second tier UEFA Cup, though I recall Michel Platini wanting to change that.

Actually, the Canadians, starting this season, do have their own separate Cup-style qualification, which is the only way to qualify for the CCL. They can't do it through MLS play.

25. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you said it. I know what the USOC is. You don't seem to know sh!t.